The DEFENSE has simply quit - my question is WHY?

Socal-805

26 minutes ago, JinxedBill1 said:

The turnovers stopped.

thats about the size of it.  Bills have been outplayed from scrimmage most of the year.   splash turnover plays completely changed 3 games (T White in Atlanta, Milano v Raiders and T White strip recovery to set up GW FG v bucs) they were getting beat from scrimmage in.   Clay, Glenn, Miller, Watkins, Woods, Dareus all gone from the lineup without replacements -- McBeanes and doing a total salary cap/roster fit rebuild.   They should be 3-7 or 2-8 and we should be talking draft, but they got lucky in a few home , non divisional games and here we are thinking stupid sh-t like playoffs.   silly fools.  KC will put another 30 burger on them and this board will be aflame on Monday.    

11 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

So all of the sudden, they realized they are not good players?  What about the 1st 7 games?

exactly.
I am glad you brought the question up. I think the defense needs to be isolated in discussion as compared to the new offensive woes.

It sincerely mystifies what suddenly occured . Because the Jest game is clearly a turning down point 

4 minutes ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

thats about the size of it.  Bills have been outplayed from scrimmage most of the year.   splash turnover plays completely changed 3 games (T White in Atlanta, Milano v Raiders and T White strip recovery to set up GW FG v bucs) they were getting beat from scrimmage in.   Clay, Glenn, Miller, Watkins, Woods, Dareus all gone from the lineup without replacements -- McBeanes and doing a total salary cap/roster fit rebuild.   They should be 3-7 or 2-8 and we should be talking draft, but they got lucky in a few home , non divisional games and here we are thinking stupid sh-t like playoffs.   silly fools.  KC will put another 30 burger on them and this board will be aflame on Monday.    

Okay, Ill bite. 

Why did the turnovers stop?

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Okay, Ill bite. 

Because teams can run all day on us and pick their spots to throw. There are way more interceptions than fumbles, can't create interceptions if they don't have to throw the ball.

Just now, klos63 said:

Because teams can run all day on us and pick their spots to throw. There are way more interceptions than fumbles, can't create interceptions if they don't have to throw the ball.

so then why did the Bills begin to lose their ability at Run D. Because they weren't too shabby up to the Jets.

Tis also happened to the Bills last year

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

so then why did the Bills begin to lose their ability at Run D. Because they weren't too shabby up to the Jets.

This also happened to the Bills last year

Just now, FappyTheClown said:

They stopped eating their Wheaties.

Or switched from Wonder bread.

may someone went wee in those cheerios. Coaching looks suspect when all 3 Teams of the Bills slip so quickly

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

Or switched from Wonder bread.

maybe someone went wee in those cheerios. Coaching looks suspect when all 3 Teams of the Bills slip so quickly

I don't miss Rex, trust me.. but thinking back to last season, yea we lost games. But we never seemed to get hammered on like we are now. The team never quit on him. I guess he was a players coach, in which his guys wouldn't quit on him. Hopefully McD isn't gonna be the guy who has his team quit on him. 

13 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Okay, Ill bite. 

McCown, Brees and Rivers are low turnover guys.   Jameis, Carr take risk.  Jameis is frankly irresponsible at times.   Seems teams have figured out how to max protect against Hughes , et al. , as well.   Expose the bad cover guys our LBs are.   Some of these kinds of things.    Plus run right at it.   Kyle is exposed w/o the Big Fat Man next to him.... Chargers (who showed out vs Cowboys), Jets (Thursday night home game) and Saints (#1 team in NFL now) are pretty tough outs for a rebuilding team dumping to create cap space.   

2 minutes ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

McCown, Brees and Rivers are low turnover guys.   Jameis, Carr take risk.  Jameis is frankly irresponsible at times.   Seems teams have figured out how to max protect against Hughes , et al. , as well.   Expose the bad cover guys our LBs are.   Some of these kinds of things.    Plus run right at it.   Kyle is exposed w/o the Big Fat Man next to him.... Chargers (who showed out vs Cowboys), Jets (Thursday night home game) and Saints (#1 team in NFL now) are pretty tough outs for a rebuilding team dumping to create cap space.   

Good post! Coaches should be adjusting better perhaps.
Have you seen Hughes line up over RT much? Or see the stunts he used to do behind a penetrating DT like Kyle?

Going back a couple years .
The Line has had few touches on QBs. it a concern for me. We all can agree LBs are not all they could be. But they did look good at earlier points in the season. Even Humber, whom I now loathe

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They have not quit.  They are being beat physically by more physically dominant teams.  It is juvenile to think professionals just quit.

'

Hmm.  Really.  Coaches "lose" teams all the time.  I see DB's who DON"T want to tackle also.

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They have not quit.  They are being beat physically by more physically dominant teams.  It is juvenile to think professionals just quit.

For the most part I agree. But this was framed in the question about wtf happened?
And the OP certainly phrased it well when asking.

being out physicalled is something i must agree upon

you Old Guys sure get grumpy :ph34r:

Edited by 3rdand12

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They don't have enough size and talent on the DL.  They can't stop the run or rush the passer well enough.  The LB corps isn't good enough. Quitting has very little to do with their failings except maybe in the area of tackling. 

Slightly disagree.  I no longer watch coach's film of every game, but from what I've seen and clips in All-22 analysis from various, there is some truth to the gap discipline thing, or perhaps gap assignment - guys either not understanding, or not executing their changed assignment in response to shifts on offense, leaving big honkin' holes for the O to exploit.

They have also been missing a buttload of tackles they stuck earlier in the season. 

Now perhaps that's a failure of focus or effort resulting from being aware that they really aren't good enough, but yeah, I do see signs of some quit.  Or if we must speak professionally, of being aware that they are physically outmatched and therefore becoming demoralized.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We can talk about the low snap count for Dareus but the fact of the matter is, this defense has been historically bad since his departure. In the 3 games since he has been gone: 

2 sacks

638 rushing yards allowed (212 ypg)

114 points allowed (38 ppg)

0-3 record

Looking at those numbers it's hard to argue that he wasn't the glue that kept the defense together. Dareus played on 1st down and 3rd down the majority of the time. 1st down is a down where the run is prevalent and sets the stage for an offenses drive and how they'll attack the defense. 3rd down is a down where its dependant on the situation but a 3rd and short is primarily a run and 3rd and 6+ is a pass rushing down. Dareus commanded double teams based solely on size and talent which freed up KW/Hughes and Lawson to get 1 on 1 matchups and allowed the LBers to shoot their gap and play with speed. 

We don't have a player on the roster who commands the same respect and it has shown over the last 3 games. To only get a 6th round pick out of him should be a fireable offense all by itself. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big C said:

The numbers don't lie, especially when cross-referencing the Jaguars run D since the trade. 

The return in that trade was really lousy, but I'm trying to be patient in seeing Beane and McDermott's vision that shape. Despite early projections, the team was winning and if the trade for Kelvin Benjamin indicates the team was aiming to remain competitive, the trade for Dareus either indicates a gross overrating of the other DL talent or Dareus was truly a malcontent (and indications lately have said otherwise so I really don't know what to make of it).

To the point of the OP, I don't think the team quit necessarily, I just think holes in the defense are being exposed. 

I agree that the numbers don't lie and are particularly stunning when cross referenced with the turnaround of Jacksonville's run D. There were some astute football savvy posters on this board who warned that Dareus was occupying multiple blockers each of his limited snaps and thus was earning his large salary.   These were lonely voices of wisdom it turns out and Dareus continued to be a punching bag for the fans and the media.   The most distressing thing is that the coaching staff and front office listened to the fans and the media and exaccerbated the piling on rather than capably evaluate Dareus' now clear dominant impact on the field.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Psychology plays a huge and widely undervalued role in team sport, and humans lose motivation to do things all the time.

Teams quitting is not an invalid theory, it's a documented phenomenon.

I am not saying this Bills teams in 2017 has necessarily quit, however.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Slightly disagree.  I no longer watch coach's film of every game, but from what I've seen and clips in All-22 analysis from various, there is some truth to the gap discipline thing, or perhaps gap assignment - guys either not understanding, or not executing their changed assignment in response to shifts on offense, leaving big honkin' holes for the O to exploit.

They have also been missing a buttload of tackles they stuck earlier in the season. 

Now perhaps that's a failure of focus or effort resulting from being aware that they really aren't good enough, but yeah, I do see signs of some quit.  Or if we must speak professionally, of being aware that they are physically outmatched and therefore becoming demoralized.

good post. as depressing as it might be to me.

29 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I agree that the numbers don't lie and are particularly stunning when cross referenced with the turnaround of Jacksonville's run D. There were some astute football savvy posters on this board who warned that Dareus was occupying multiple blockers each of his limited snaps and thus was earning his large salary.   These were lonely voices of wisdom it turns out and Dareus continued to be a punching bag for the fans and the media.   The most distressing thing is that the coaching staff and front office listened to the fans and the media and exaccerbated the piling on rather than capably evaluate Dareus' now clear dominant impact on the field.   

perhaps the truly most exacerbating  is how Fans turned on him so hard this year.
 If Bills really did listen, then Russ Brandon is still in the Room.