Anxious/Terrified/Excited - feel them all

Xerx

First off, I have supported Taylor, just like I would support and hope for greatness out of any Quarterback we are playing at the time.

His play can be exciting and frustrating at the same time.

I believe he has merit as a starting quarterback in the league, he's better than some of the other chopped liver starting around the league

But for that success, he 100% needs a specific system designed for him, this in itself is a weakness. 

I want my teams coaches to build systems around the skill set of the players and to draft/acquire players that fit the system they run. It's a double edged sword. The question becomes "Is this player GOOD enough to alter my system for?" Based on what we've seen, had tend to think this coaching staff doesn't believe Taylor is good enough to do that for.

So here we are starting the Peterman era?

I'm ANXIOUS to see him play in meaningful football, just like any new quarterback we've sent out there, MAYBE HE IS THE ONE? 

Start to think about that, and the possibilities of him being the one and I get super EXCITED.

I'm also TERRIFIED for the possibility that he stinks the joint up.

What happens if he's terrible and we lost bad the next few weeks and offense is putrid? How are the players in the room going to handle this? Tyrod seems to be respected in that room, has a few very strong supporters. How does the "PROCESS" look if a move this HUGE backfires?

This is more than a QB change, the entire "buying in" to the process is being put to the test right here and now. Veteran players see themselves at 5-4 right now, in a playoff spot. A spot many have never seen, this backfires on McDermott and I'm not sure how he's going to keep the doubt from forming in his own room.

I'm hoping for the best, not only for Peterman and this season, but for this staff. 

9-games in and in my eyes this coaching staff just made the move that will decide if this regime will be here for the "process" to work. This backfires and it's a tough road back.

Im on the same page as you...good post all around.

I cant wait for Sunday where I will be at the game 12 rows up from the Bills sideline around the 30 yard line to get a great view of the kid!  I am excited to see what he can do, I have liked him as a prospect all along.  But I am also a realist, and to expect a big game or even a good game is probably a bit unrealistic.  Chargers D is better than people think, and our OL has been atrocious.  Its asking a lot of a kid making his first start to go on the road and put up a good stat line with the entire post season hopes on the line.  

I think realistic expectation could be 180-220 yards passing with a TD and 1 or 2 turnovers.  I do think its possible he could come out firing and take advantage they will likely stack the box on McCoy and maybe have a bigger stat line and pretty good game.  And this is what I will be hoping for, but thats a lot to ask for a rookie trying to save the season in his first start thats also a tough road game facing a coach who is VERY familiar with the Bills roster.  

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im on the same page as you...good post all around.

I cant wait for Sunday where I will be at the game 12 rows up from the Bills sideline around the 30 yard line to get a great view of the kid!  I am excited to see what he can do, I have liked him as a prospect all along.  But I am also a realist, and to expect a big game or even a good game is probably a bit unrealistic.  Chargers D is better than people think, and our OL has been atrocious.  Its asking a lot of a kid making his first start to go on the road and put up a good stat line with the entire post season hopes on the line.  

I think realistic expectation could be 180-220 yards passing with a TD and 1 or 2 turnovers.  I do think its possible he could come out firing and take advantage they will likely stack the box on McCoy and maybe have a bigger stat line and pretty good game.  And this is what I will be hoping for, but thats a lot to ask for a rookie trying to save the season in his first start thats also a tough road game facing a coach who is VERY familiar with the Bills roster.  

Stadium could be half Bills fans. No home edge for LA.

8 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

Stadium could be half Bills fans. No home edge for LA.

yeah should be fun...I was at the Rams game last year and was shocked how much of the stadium was Bills fans!  Bills Backers did an awesome tailgate pre game party that was huge and packed.  Got to meet Andre Reed and get my Sunday Bills hat signed which I wear on during the games each week. Looking forward to this weekends tailgate and game too!

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

yeah should be fun...I was at the Rams game last year and was shocked how much of the stadium was Bills fans!  Bills Backers did an awesome tailgate pre game party that was huge and packed.  Got to meet Andre Reed and get my Sunday Bills hat signed which I wear on during the games each week. Looking forward to this weekends tailgate and game too!

Have fun! Hope we win.

7 minutes ago, Sweats said:

The coaching staff has no choice but to start Peterman.

They need to see what they have moving forward and whether they will aim high at a QB in next years draft.............i agree with the decision 100%.

The problem is the playoffs are very much attainable in the weak AFC.

I think the kid will be okay this week.  He will certainly put up more than 60 yards passing and he will look pretty good as compared to last week's debacle.  He will only get better so this might be his worst game, while he deals with the jitters. 

In the long run i just want to make sure Peterman gets solid coaching here.  I mean if Sean McVay were coaching him I'd feel pretty darn good.  But Dennison?  I have no idea if that guy will coach him up and put him in the best position to succeed?!  We shall see.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

a tough road game facing a coach who is VERY familiar with the Bills roster.  

You bring up an interesting point.

Anthony Lynn is VERY familiar with Tyrod Taylor, but not with Nathan Peterman.

Should make it a little more difficult to game plan for. Maybe.

2 hours ago, Sweats said:

The coaching staff has no choice but to start Peterman.

They need to see what they have moving forward and whether they will aim high at a QB in next years draft.............i agree with the decision 100%.

Sweats, if they don't aim high in next year's draft no matter what they think they have - they are no different than the last 17 years of playoffless FO minions in B'lo.

56 minutes ago, B Fan in LA said:

You bring up an interesting point.

Anthony Lynn is VERY familiar with Tyrod Taylor, but not with Nathan Peterman.

Should make it a little more difficult to game plan for. Maybe.

True, and there isnt a lot of tape on Peterman in general.  But he is still familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of a lot of key players on both sides of the ball.  So, still gives him some valuable insight to help disrupt various parts of the game on both sides of the ball.  

Honestly, I am more concerned about the trenches than Peterman.  I think NP could have a decent game, maybe even surprise and have a good game.  But our OL and DL have been getting utterly dominated...not just losing, but getting embarrassed.  And Bosa and company might be licking their chops right now on the Chargers D and Gordon licking his on the Chargers O.  If we cant be better in the trenches, this game is going to be gross again.  And Lynn knows most those guys in the trenches very well, and will be quite familiar with their weaknesses and strengths to try and create opportunities on both sides of the ball.