My Closet, Losman Article, and Madden

Virgil

Like my post game recap, I needed some time today to think about Tyrod getting benched and the overall state of the team. I wanted to post earlier, but this board went nuts; rightfully so.  

In my closet is at least 8 Bills jerseys of guys who were supposed to be lifers. Jerseys I paid full price for at first, or got autographed. As time went on, I got cheaper jerseys, didn’t care about getting them autographed.  And now, I’ll get the $20 knock off ones. 

I play Madden Ultimate Team, which is like a fantasy draft of football players on a video game. You play with the best versions of people and hall of famers. Needless to say, not many Bills players get competitive cards to use. So when they do get them, I jump all over them and use them year round. This year, I had Dareus, Sammy, and Tyrod.  

When JP was drafted as our future, I’ll never forget a D&C article about him embracing the community and the cover photo was him leaning against a railing with the city behind him.  He was our first major QB drafted since the Kelly years and therefor thought he was the answer.  Likeable guy, but you know the rest. 

So, what’s the relevance of these?  I think I’m just tired of getting attached and remebering faces of guys we had hope for.  There were flashes this season of TT finally getting it, the defense stepping up, and the franchise turning it around. Today felt like the closing chapter of the previous two weeks in futility. 

It’s not about Tyrod, it’s about just another change or spark that turned out to be a disappointment. Maybe Peterman pans out or maybe we draft a QB and we start all over again. Maybe McDermott is our legacy coach or maybe we are searching again in two years. 

I just see all the gloating of the TT haters or the anger from the Church of Tyrod and I’m more bothered that people always forget we are on the same side.  I’m annoyed at yet another flame fizzling out.  

I’m just plain tired...

But I hope to see Peterman have a good game.  I hope to see signs of life from the offense. I hope that the defense gets more rest between series and fix the technique and the process is steady and true.  

I’m ready to buy a jersey and I’m ready to be relevant again. 

Go Bills

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree with the sentiment. Especially as someone who has been caught up in the new QB hype before. I saw EJ Manuel’s SportsScience episode and was floored when we drafted him.  

In my humble opinion, McDermott looked at the next three games as certain losses. So throwing Peterman in the mix isn’t as risky as it seems to Mike and Mike. 

2 hours ago, benderbender said:

I agree with the sentiment. Especially as someone who has been caught up in the new QB hype before. I saw EJ Manuel’s SportsScience episode and was floored when we drafted him.  

In my humble opinion, McDermott looked at the next three games as certain losses. So throwing Peterman in the mix isn’t as risky as it seems to Mike and Mike. 

Ha!  That’s funny.  I did the same thing.  I remember thinking: “Accuracy issues?  The guy is throwing is perfectly through those circles!”

I think a new day is dawning and a new horizon has been witnessed.  TT never was going to get better in this offense. He is a good QB but this isnt the scheme for him. They were trying to change the scheme to match last years attack and Im glad we can move ahead playing this regimes game. Time to continue to move foward  is today. BTW @Virgil. Great post

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

Like my post game recap, I needed some time today to think about Tyrod getting benched and the overall state of the team. I wanted to post earlier, but this board went nuts; rightfully so.  

In my closet is at least 8 Bills jerseys of guys who were supposed to be lifers. Jerseys I paid full price for at first, or got autographed. As time went on, I got cheaper jerseys, didn’t care about getting them autographed.  And now, I’ll get the $20 knock off ones. 

I play Madden Ultimate Team, which is like a fantasy draft of football players on a video game. You play with the best versions of people and hall of famers. Needless to say, not many Bills players get competitive cards to use. So when they do get them, I jump all over them and use them year round. This year, I had Dareus, Sammy, and Tyrod.  

When JP was drafted as our future, I’ll never forget a D&C article about him embracing the community and the cover photo was him leaning against a railing with the city behind him.  He was our first major QB drafted since the Kelly years and therefor thought he was the answer.  Likeable guy, but you know the rest. 

So, what’s the relevance of these?  I think I’m just tired of getting attached and remebering faces of guys we had hope for.  There were flashes this season of TT finally getting it, the defense stepping up, and the franchise turning it around. Today felt like the closing chapter of the previous two weeks in futility. 

It’s not about Tyrod, it’s about just another change or spark that turned out to be a disappointment. Maybe Peterman pans out or maybe we draft a QB and we start all over again. Maybe McDermott is our legacy coach or maybe we are searching again in two years. 

I just see all the gloating of the TT haters or the anger from the Church of Tyrod and I’m more bothered that people always forget we are on the same side.  I’m annoyed at yet another flame fizzling out.  

I’m just plain tired...

But I hope to see Peterman have a good game.  I hope to see signs of life from the offense. I hope that the defense gets more rest between series and fix the technique and the process is steady and true.  

Go Bills

Well thought out.  I was desperately looking for a "next Joe Montana" quote from the late Bill Walsh referencing Trentative Edwards.  If you edit your post, I give it an A.  :)

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

Go Bills

You, sir, are a fine man and a balanced poster. 

For me, JP was the last straw and I have been getting increasingly skeptical of every new QB. When we actually find a good QB, it's going to take time to accept that fact. Cant wait. Hope it's NP but there is no way to tell yet. 

2 hours ago, fansince88 said:

I think a new day is dawning and a new horizon has been witnessed.  TT never was going to get better in this offense. He is a good QB but this isnt the scheme for him. They were trying to change the scheme to match last years attack and Im glad we can move ahead playing this regimes game. Time to continue to move foward  is today. BTW @Virgil. Great post

Ha.  New day dawning, new horizon?  Okay Miss Cleo.

Like Virgil, I have had high hopes for everyone since Kelly (Except Surfer Boy) and while Peterman is the latest model he has about as good of a chance as his predecessors.  I sincerely hope we finally hit the jackpot and it pans out, but I have my doubts.

I strongly believe quality teams that last are built from the inside out... We keep renovating instead of addressing our termite issue and the fact that we are down to a couple of old studs that are next up on the menu. Not sure why you would put a brand new appliance in that house.

22 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Good post, Virgil. Considering your history of jerseys, a superstitious person might ask you NOT to buy a Peterman jersey. :D

... but I'm not superstitious.

It’s funny, I put off buying a Tyrod jersey for that very reason. 

I guess that didn’t work out