Bills have a chance to be extremely innovative on offense...will they? Doubt it

Big Turk

If I were Dennison I would be putting Taylor in the game 8-10 plays as a RB and then throwing him some wide pitches or some tosses and allowing him to either run or throw downfield.  

This could really be some innovative play caling and could cause nightmares for the D if they draw it up right.  

He is obviously better than Tolbert as a runner/athlete and it adds the additional problem of him as a thrower. The DB's want to run up o tackle?  Sure, just throw it right over their heads to a streaking receiver.  

Bills could turn the NFL on it's head like the Dolphins did with the wildcat.  I doubt Dennison is creative enough to utilize it tho.

A shame really...very unique situation the Bills could have here and one that could cause defensive coordinators nightmares.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

No no no just run a Modern NFL Offense. 

Taylor was benched not going back onto the field unless Peterman gets hurt

This would be the most modern NFL offense you could possibly run..one that would almost guarantee a TD a week from a blown assignment or the DB making the wrong choice for a split second and letting a WR get wide open behind him...and one that would force DC's to spend huge amounts of time to gameplan for and take their ability to solely focus on Peterman away

Edited by matter2003

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

This would be the most modern NFL offense you could possibly run..one that would almost guarantee a TD a week from a blown assignment or the DB making the wrong choice for a split second and letting a WR get wide open behind him...and one that would force DC's to spend huge amounts of time to gameplan for and take their ability to solely focus on Peterman away

Its a gimmick. How many good teams run gimmick offenses  

12 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

If I were Dennison I would be putting Taylor in the game 8-10 plays as a RB and then throwing him some wide pitches or some tosses and allowing him to either run or throw downfield.  

This could really be some innovative play caling and could cause nightmares for the D if they draw it up right.  

He is obviously better than Tolbert as a runner/athlete and it adds the additional problem of him as a thrower. The DB's want to run up o tackle?  Sure, just throw it right over their heads to a streaking receiver.  

Bills could turn the NFL on it's head like the Dolphins did with the wildcat.  I doubt Dennison is creative enough to utilize it tho.

A shame really...very unique situation the Bills could have here and one that could cause defensive coordinators nightmares.

I wouldn't mind seeing this.  Would create chaos for the defense, and wouldn't involve Peterman needing to do anything different.  Hand TT the ball, let him option run/pass for a few plays.  Better than Tolbert.  

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Steelers always have a few gimmick plays.  

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The zone read was supposd to be a gimmick too...I just watched Newton run for 60+ yards on one a few days ago...every team with a mobile QB uses them to great success. It's not a gimmick when you put a team in a spot when they have to make a split decision and if they choose wrong they are screwed.  the zone read puts the unblocked DE in this position.  This would put the CB in the same position.  Does he come up and make a play on Taylor or stay with his man?

The spread was supposed to be a gimmick too...how many teams use that now?

The RPO was a gimmick...those all the rage now.

It's a "gimmick" until a team establishes that just because it's outside the box thinking doesn't mean it won't be very effective and then every other team adopts it and it becomes accepted.  Bills have a unique ability to do some very creative stuff with a great athlete and QB who can make great throws on the run and is accurate downfield.  And on top of that force DC's to spend a huge portion of heir time gameplanning for this instead of focusing on the Bills normal offense. Why wouldn't you take advantage of it?  This is why young OC's are all the rage...they aren't tied to only doing what others have done in the past.

Edited by matter2003

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing this.  Would create chaos for the defense, and wouldn't involve Peterman needing to do anything different.  Hand TT the ball, let him option run/pass for a few plays.  Better than Tolbert.  

Steelers always have a few gimmick plays.  

8-10 plays is more than a few plays

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The zone read was supposd to be a gimmick too...I just watched Newton run for 60+ yards on one a few days ago...every team with a mobile QB uses them to great success. It's not a gimmick when you put a team in a spot when they have to make a split decision and if they choose wrong they are screwed.  the zone read puts the unblocked DE in this position.  This would put the CB in the same position.  Does he come up and make a play on Taylor or stay with his man?

The spread was supposed to be a gimmick too...how many teams use that now?

The RPO was a gimmick...those all the rage now.

It's a "gimmick" until a team establishes that just because it's outside the box thinking doesn't mean it won't be very effective.  Bills have a unique ability to do some very creative stuff with a great athlete and QB who can make great throws on the run and is accurate dowfield.  Why wouldn't you take advantage of it?  This is why young OC's are all the rage...they aren't tied to only doing what others have done in the past.

Zone Read is not a gimmick. What you are talking about is a gimmick

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

8-10 plays is more than a few plays

Zone Read is not a gimmick. What you are talking about is a gimmick

So because you put a CB in the same position as the unblocked DE in the zone read option its a gimmick?  I guess only DE's can be put in a position where they have to make a decision on what to do according to you or it to be a "real" play.

Edited by matter2003

Just now, Elite Poster said:

The problem is we don't run a modern offense in the first place....

Again how do you know the offense you saw was Dannisons offense. Essentially TT in his presser confirmed it wasnt it was built for him

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

So because you put a CB in the same position as the unblocked DE in the zone read option its a gimmick?  I guess only DE's can be put in a position where they have to make a decision on what to do accordign to you or it to be a "real" play.

You get the same decision with a real play. A choice route. 

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

"Built for him"

Refer to the poor Denver offense from last year for this big innovation you speak of.

TT “the offense fit me, but where they were going doesnt”. Or something along those lines 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Again how do you know the offense you saw was Dannisons offense. Essentially TT in his presser confirmed it wasnt it was built for him

You get the same decision with a real play. A choice route. 

A choice route doesn't lead to a wide open WR running behind the CB on most plays...the reward is a lot higher with little to no risk...I mean do you not think Tyrod could gain more yards on the ground than Tolbert even if they ran him?

Just now, matter2003 said:

A choice route doesn't lead to a wide open WR running behind the CB on most plays...the reward is a lot higher with little to no risk...I mean do you not think Tyrod could gain more yards on the ground than Tolbert even if they ran him?

Sure it does. WR has an out and a Post.he breaks right and boom behind the CB