College Basketball 2017-2018

YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ironically they played a preseason game against each other in October. The Rams won.  FYI URI coached by Bobby Hurley's brother Dan Hurley.

Rams will get a 3 and the Bulls a 4 seed because of this...  :D

On 1/26/2018 at 9:35 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Ironically they played a preseason game against each other in October. The Rams won.  FYI URI coached by Bobby Hurley's brother Dan Hurley.

Dan's been putting some talent together the last few years.   So far this year they've been playing up to their potential.   

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Spiders had a good weekend, Kyle MVP at Senior Bowl, beat Davidson on the road today in hoops.

1-8 to start the season, now 6-3 and 2nd in the A-10.  Who knows what will happen from here..but last 5 games been fun!

Beat Davidson? They don’t even do their own laundry! 

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Spiders had a good weekend, Kyle MVP at Senior Bowl, beat Davidson on the road today in hoops.

1-8 to start the season, now 6-3 and 2nd in the A-10.  Who knows what will happen from here..but last 5 games been fun!

What the hell is going on with the Spiders?!?.............Now it looks like the Bona-Richmond homecoming game I'll be going to in two weeks will be huge.  Both teams really need a top 4 seed for the A10 tourney to have a puncher's chance to win it.

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Beat Davidson? They don’t even do their own laundry! 

For the life of me i have no clue what this means!

3 hours ago, bbb said:

What the hell is going on with the Spiders?!?.............Now it looks like the Bona-Richmond homecoming game I'll be going to in two weeks will be huge.  Both teams really need a top 4 seed for the A10 tourney to have a puncher's chance to win it.

I guess its just the youngins starting to learn the system and get confidence. This boy Golden can play now, looks like a completely different player from early December. I have to find out who the color guy was on the game yesterday, he was fantastic. One point he said "I am not saying this just because he is tall lanky goofy looking white dude with weird hair, but Golden reminds me of Olynyk"

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bbb said:

Richmond was awful in the first half of the year.  Speaking in betting terms Richmond was always a team I could count on to play well at home.  Very difficult to beat at home but they were getting bombed at home also.  I haven't been paying a ton of attention to them as of late but they seem like they have gotten the ship steady.  Bonnie, I thought was going to be one of those teams that would be on the bubble come March & sneak in as an at large but they got too many bad losses this year.  They will have to win their conference tournament & I am not sure if they could get by Rhode Island who is very good this year. 

UB is legit.  They are top 25 legit.  & don't forget about my alma mater Canisius.  They currently lead the MAAC although they loss to Niagara Saturday.  Speaking of which the purple eagles are 7-3 in the MAAC.  I didn't see that coming in the beginning of the year.  It should be a real exciting time come conference tournament time come March for the local teams.  They all have a shot to go dancing. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Dan's been putting some talent together the last few years.   So far this year they've been playing up to their potential.   

Gotta ask why Dan is still at URI? The power conference wolves are already sniffing Nate Oats. 

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

For the life of me i have no clue what this means!

I guess its just the youngins starting to learn the system and get confidence. This boy Golden can play now, looks like a completely different player from early December. I have to find out who the color guy was on the game yesterday, he was fantastic. One point he said "I am not saying this just because he is tall lanky goofy looking white dude with weird hair, but Golden reminds me of Olynyk"

That at least used to be a perk of going to Davidson, they had a laundry service for the students. You get what you pay for, I guess. 

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

That at least used to be a perk of going to Davidson, they had a laundry service for the students. You get what you pay for, I guess. 

hmm, this was one of my daughter's final schools, think she may have gone there had she known about laundry service! 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Gotta ask why Dan is still at URI? The power conference wolves are already sniffing Nate Oats. 

Great question.  URI is one of those perfect steps between small time and big time for rising or rehabilitating coaches so any success is usually fleeting.  I was there when they had Tom Penders and he brought exciting teams and packed houses to a dormant program.  Jim Harrick did the same a decade later.

I assumed Hurley would follow the same path but he signed a big extension last year so maybe URI is serious about building a contender and maybe he'd rather do that than go to a big name and deal with that set of circumstances.   Every contract can be broken so I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but the more they win the more likely he sticks around.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/20170516/uri-dan-hurley-agree-on-contract-extension-through-2023-24-season

28 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Great question.  URI is one of those perfect steps between small time and big time for rising or rehabilitating coaches so any success is usually fleeting.  I was there when they had Tom Penders and he brought exciting teams and packed houses to a dormant program.  Jim Harrick did the same a decade later.

I assumed Hurley would follow the same path but he signed a big extension last year so maybe URI is serious about building a contender and maybe he'd rather do that than go to a big name and deal with that set of circumstances.   Every contract can be broken so I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but the more they win the more likely he sticks around.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/20170516/uri-dan-hurley-agree-on-contract-extension-through-2023-24-season

Contracts are essentially meaningless. Their real purpose is to increase the buyout clause so the losing schools have more money to get a new coach. It's been suggested UB should offer Oats a long term deal at $550K/yr (he earns $350K now) which would put him at or near the top for MAC coaches, knowing that Oats could be gone in a year or two. The long contact ensures a bigger buyout. Oats has said he wants to stay at UB because he expects his team to be even better next year.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

27 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Contracts are essentially meaningless. Their real purpose is to increase the buyout clause so the losing schools have more money to get a new coach. It's been suggested UB should offer Oats a long term deal at $550K/yr (he earns $350K now) which would put him at or near the top for MAC coaches, knowing that Oats could be gone in a year or two. The long contact ensures a bigger buyout. Oats has said he wants to stay at UB because he expects his team to be even better next year.

That means as much as Beane saying he does not see the Bills moving up right now..what else could he say? 

And these coaches being to go wherever they want, whenever they want, contract be damned has always irked me. 

I am hoping this MSU mess is the straw that finally breaks the camels back on the sham that is the NCAA.

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They really underachieved under him until halfway through last season. 

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

That means as much as Beane saying he does not see the Bills moving up right now..what else could he say? 

And these coaches being to go wherever they want, whenever they want, contract be damned has always irked me. 

I am hoping this MSU mess is the straw that finally breaks the camels back on the sham that is the NCAA.

I think Oats means it, at least for one more season. His wife Crystal is under care at Roswell Park. She's cancer-free right now but I think they want to stay close by for a while longer. But UB should still pony up. They were willing to pay Hurley $550K when he left for ASU. Oats has earned at least that much.

On 1/29/2018 at 12:04 PM, bbb said:

They really underachieved under him until halfway through last season. 

Agree they didn't really put it together until mid-last season, but the year prior they lost EC Matthews for the season in the opener so that screwed them big time.

14 straight!

9 hours ago, bbb said:

Sold out per Mark Gaughan's tweet, too.

And they saw a great game. WMU has a kid named Thomas Wilder who scored 34. He's a borderline NBA prospect and he was dominating. But UB has great players up and down it's roster and every time Wilder got the Broncos close, someone on UB, Perkins, Massenburg, Clark or Harris would answer. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Agree they didn't really put it together until mid-last season, but the year prior they lost EC Matthews for the season in the opener so that screwed them big time.

14 straight!

From a Bona point of view, we want Rhody to just keep winning (until they come to the RC, of course)...........We need a top 4 seed for the A10 tourney, so them beating VCU really helped. 

4 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

So great. 

To be fair, they are NOT an easy out. My Xavier team played them at their place recently. X was 19-3 and ranked #6 in the country with and RPI of 3. St Johns was 0-10 in the BE at the time. Vegas only had X as only a 4 point favorite, and they won by 5. 

But..............Duke just lost to a team who was 0-11 in their conference!!!    :P

50 minutes ago, Augie said:

St Johns is 0-11 in the Big East.....and they just beat Duke. It is a glorious day!  

Let me guess....they'll get an at large bid to the tournament over some 25 win team from a 'non power 5' conference.   <_<

14 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Let me guess....they'll get an at large bid to the tournament over some 25 win team from a 'non power 5' conference.   <_<

I don’t care!!! DOOK lost to a team 0-11 in the BE!   :P

Full disclosure, we are a UNC family. My kids went to UNC hoops camp for 7-8 years running. We’d visit Cameron Indoor, which was open all the time (very cool), but the allegiance is toward UNC, and I hate arrogance. 

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t care!!! DOOK lost to a team 0-11 in the BE!   :P

Full disclosure, we are a UNC family. My kids went to UNC hoops camp for 7-8 years running. We’d visit Cameron Indoor, which was open all the time (very cool), but the allegiance is toward UNC, and I hate arrogance. 

Oh don't get me wrong, seeing Duke lose is always a pleasure.  I'm just gearing up early for the annual bullshi-- where they put 9 teams from the ACC or Big 10 into the tourney.

12 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Oh don't get me wrong, seeing Duke lose is always a pleasure.  I'm just gearing up early for the annual bullshi-- where they put 9 teams from the ACC or Big 10 into the tourney.

I say 9 from the ACC or Big 10 is a travesty! But 7 from the BE is about right.  :)

Nice win last night @Augie Only saw the highlights on SVP.

Got me to thinking..better rivalry

Richmond-VCU

Xavier-Cinci

Has to be Richmond VCU:P

That is is tonight, but not till 9PM. That sucks. But of they want a 9PM game, they force me to bring in Jack or else I will be sleeping by halftime. Lord i love college hoops, but damn I hate no beer:thumbdown::beer:

Edited by plenzmd1

SPIDERS!!!

I know it means little outside of Richmond, but Spiders swept VCU this year. Kinda a David vs Goliath situation, and even in a year where neither is likely to make the tourney, this brings joy to my heart!

BTW, it was a Beam me up Scotty night, too cheap to pass up!

Edited by plenzmd1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

SPIDERS!!!

I know it means little outside of Richmond, but Spiders swept VCU this year. Kinda a David vs Goliath situation, and even in a year where neither is likely to make the tourney, this brings joy to my heart!

BTW, it was a Beam me up Scotty night, too cheap to pass up!

Tied with the Bonnies...........I'll be there Saturday when they show down in a sold out Reilly Center (it's both Homecoming and 80s Weekend).  It's going to be nuts. 

6 hours ago, bbb said:

Tied with the Bonnies...........I'll be there Saturday when they show down in a sold out Reilly Center (it's both Homecoming and 80s Weekend).  It's going to be nuts. 

Weird game last night, especially for Golden. He was playing better( he was awful on Saturday vs Mason) , but made a boneheaded TO with about 8 minutes to go and did not get off the bench till last seconds of the game. Mooney said  Golden was so upset with himself after the with the TO he just wanted to give him a few minutes to calm down, but that was when the Spiders started their run, so he sat till the end.

Buckingham went down last night, thought it was just cramps at first, but he could not walk off on own power. He was suspended for the Mason game, and it hurt. Will be a story heading into Saturday.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, bbb said:

Bonnies need to run the table for a chance at an at large.  Yes that means beating Rhode Island @ the RC.  Anything short of that or winning the conference tournament in March & it is NIT for Bonnie.  I would love to see Bonnie get in.  I think they could do some damage if they get in & get a good draw & they are one of the most exciting teams in the country imo.  Watched the Bonnie/Dukes game Saturday, what a great game that was.