TRADE: Kelvin Benjamin to Buffalo

Rubes

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is surprisingly insightful coming from a national media guy. I don't think a lot of people in the national media know enough about the Bills in general - or Tyrod in particular - to know he prefers his receivers wide open.

As 3rdand12 said earlier, Tyrod did throw to Sammy when Sammy had a CB draped over him. Maybe Tyrod will learn to trust KB the same way.

Are there QBs who don't PREFER their WRs be wide open?

Just sayin.

Are there QBs who don't PREFER their WRs be wide open?

Just sayin.

Of course; ever QB does. I think the point of the tweet is that Taylor doesn't force throws into tight windows. It's the reason he has a low turnover ratio. You wont get 300-400 or more passing yards from the way he plays but he keeps the ball safe.

Of course; ever QB does. I think the point of the tweet is that Taylor doesn't force throws into tight windows. It's the reason he has a low turnover ratio. You wont get 300-400 or more passing yards from the way he plays but he keeps the ball safe.

I get what he's going for. That's why I said, "just sayin...".

As others have pointed out, Taylor has, and can, throw into tight windows. He doesn't do it often, that's for sure. But the Bills also don't have an anticipatory passing game (I'm thinking Air Coryell as an extreme example), either. Plus, given the strengths and weaknesses of the team, the past couple years, the best way to win is to minimize turnovers---so that plays into it, too.

Tyrod has been getting better at drilling it into tight coverage, when called for, lately. And he demonstrated he will do it, to some degree, if he trusts the target. So no, Tyrod isn't the game's biggest chance-taker. But to think Benjamin won't be an asset, simply because of that, is absurd. Dontcha think?

As others have pointed out, Taylor has, and can, throw into tight windows. He doesn't do it often, that's for sure. But the Bills also don't have an anticipatory passing game (I'm thinking Air Coryell as an extreme example), either. Plus, given the strengths and weaknesses of the team, the past couple years, the best way to win is to minimize turnovers---so that plays into it, too.

Tyrod has been getting better at drilling it into tight coverage, when called for, lately. And he demonstrated he will do it, to some degree, if he trusts the target. So no, Tyrod isn't the game's biggest chance-taker. But to think Benjamin won't be an asset, simply because of that, is absurd. Dontcha think?

I agree with everything. The matter is when he finally does trust the target. He took a shot at Deonte because he was familiar with him from Baltimore. Don't know how long it will take for him to get comfortable (trust) with KB but the sooner the better for the team.

With 56 pages of comments ... I can't read them all before typing this .. so this may of already been pointed out ... but if I have this right in reference to Watkins trade with the Benjamin trade where a #1 WR was traded away and a #1 WR acquired in a later trade .. at the end of the day.

For 2017 -- We got EJ Gaines, Kelvin Benjamin, and a 2nd round pick in 2018.

We gave up Sammy, a 3rd rounder and a 7th in 2018.

Works for me.

Good work Beane!!!

But it assumes, as Jeremy White does, that Tyrod can't make those throws, as opposed to he won't make those throws to receivers he doesn't trust to make the play.

we have seen him try to make the throws and sometimes succeed. I think the point was is he doesn't try to make those throws unless he has to. If kb isn't open enough, he could just end up being a decoy. Until Taylor throws to him while he's covered that is. Then all better are off. Edited by The Wiz

But it assumes, as Jeremy White does, that Tyrod can't make those throws, as opposed to he won't make those throws to receivers he doesn't trust to make the play.

which is why i think benjamin is a key part of what we are looking for in the future. a big rangy WR who can help a new QB.

With 56 pages of comments ... I can't read them all before typing this .. so this may of already been pointed out ... but if I have this right in reference to Watkins trade with the Benjamin trade where a #1 WR was traded away and a #1 WR acquired in a later trade .. at the end of the day.

For 2017 -- We got EJ Gaines, Kelvin Benjamin, and a 2nd round pick in 2018.

We gave up Sammy, a 3rd rounder and a 7th in 2018.

Works for me.

Good work Beane!!!

And Jordan Matthews.

The Kelvin trade, and the fact that they're 5-2, makes me feel MUCH better about trading Sammy. If they're sitting at 6-2 I'll be thrilled.

Agree with all of this.

It will be interesting to see how Tyrod's willingness to throw into tight windows develops with Kelvin Benjamin here now -- I don't think Tyrod will ever be a high-interception quarterback at any point in his career, but I think it's impossible to expect that he'll keep up the low-turnover performance at the rate he's been AND throw into tight coverage more frequently, now that he has a receiver who will come down with it 75% of the time.

Basically, anyone left who is still opposed to Tyrod may soon have "well now he's throwing more interceptions" in their argument. But that will happen when you're taking more chances.

I would like to see it. Not the interceptions, per se, but I'm willing to take it for a more aggressive, unleashed Tyrod Taylor.

I'm reminded of Tom Brady's first few years -- he also played very conservatively, people said he was a system QB, it wasn't until Brady got some legit receivers that he really started to open up. Obviously I'm not saying Tyrod is going to be the next Brady, but I am saying that Tyrod has been developing in his 3 years here, and he has shown playmaking ability. Even Tyrod's worst games aren't full of errors, interceptions, fumbles.

We'll see. I think the Tyrod and the offense have a real chance to break out in the second half of the season. I think they are fully capable of playing MUCH better with only a few adjustments (which they have made) and getting into a confident rhythm (which they seem to be on track for).

Agree with all of this.

It will be interesting to see how Tyrod's willingness to throw into tight windows develops with Kelvin Benjamin here now -- I don't think Tyrod will ever be a high-interception quarterback at any point in his career, but I think it's impossible to expect that he'll keep up the low-turnover performance at the rate he's been AND throw into tight coverage more frequently, now that he has a receiver who will come down with it 75% of the time.

Basically, anyone left who is still opposed to Tyrod may soon have "well now he's throwing more interceptions" in their argument. But that will happen when you're taking more chances.

I would like to see it. Not the interceptions, per se, but I'm willing to take it for a more aggressive, unleashed Tyrod Taylor.

I'm reminded of Tom Brady's first few years -- he also played very conservatively, people said he was a system QB, it wasn't until Brady got some legit receivers that he really started to open up. Obviously I'm not saying Tyrod is going to be the next Brady, but I am saying that Tyrod has been developing in his 3 years here, and he has shown playmaking ability. Even Tyrod's worst games aren't full of errors, interceptions, fumbles.

We'll see. I think the Tyrod and the offense have a real chance to break out in the second half of the season. I think they are fully capable of playing MUCH better with only a few adjustments (which they have made) and getting into a confident rhythm (which they seem to be on track for).

My recollection is Alex Smith was seen as a dink & dunk, system QB, who you couldn't really win with?

My recollection is Alex Smith was seen as a dink & dunk, system QB, who you couldn't really win with?

Yeah, it's weird... it's almost like these strongly willed professional athletes are capable of improvement. Didn't they hear? The fans decided they suck. Kinda rude of them to stop doing that, the sucking.