[News] V-Coach - Bills sign QB Kelly Holcomb

Well I guess that's what I'm trying to say, what would we really have to change?

263366[/snapback]

I would say the playbook would be much bigger at this stage for Holcomb than either Bledsoe or Losman. He has shown the ability to look off his primary and still find open guys in the deep third and intermediate routes. He's a much better player than he's given credit for and at times looked spectacular on an offense without much talent.

The only downside is he's coming off an injury.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the playbook would be much bigger at this stage for Holcomb than either Bledsoe or Losman.  He has shown the ability to look off his primary and still find open guys in the deep third and intermediate routes.  He's a much better player than he's given credit for and at times looked spectacular on an offense without much talent.

263372[/snapback]

Darin, from what has been stated, the playbook is being opened up for Losman. Many more plays/formations have been added. If Holcomb can run many of them, I have zero issues. The guy is very accurate in the short to medium range passing game. Doesn't have JP's arm but it's decent. I don't expect him to scramble, just roll out a little to avoid the rush and spot his secondary receiver.

I love this signing. This was the best possible backup to jp we could get and maybe a man who could even push jp in training camp and preseason, and if need be would make me feel comfortable going into the season if holcomb was our starter. I love it. However if he's not our starter how long before the impatient ones start clamoring for holcomb to start? ;)

Either way great signing and just gave us one less worry this offseason. Now we just gotta worry about lt/lg and a te.

I am not much on talent evaluation...but as I looked at the options at backup QB that the Bills had available -- the Garcia's,Warner's, Brad Johnson's didn't interest me. Maddox (potentially available) and Holcomb were the best price to talent ratios available.

Nice job...

So I am not getting this cap thing... Clayton says we had $652K available as of this AM and that we now have $2.2 Million...did the Gandy and Holcomb deals get filed yesterday? Are there other deals out there that makes up the gap from $5.4 M that clumpy had to the $625K??? Did we cut PP or Wire---they have to file these things with the NFL first--maybe that is the issue--we have made several moves but they only get released as the Bills want....

Darin, from what has been stated, the playbook is being opened up for Losman. Many more plays/formations have been added. If Holcomb can run many of them, I have zero issues. The guy is very accurate in the short to medium range passing game. Doesn't have JP's arm but it's decent. I don't expect him to scramble, just roll out a little to avoid the rush and spot his secondary receiver.

263389[/snapback]

I'm sure they're going to take advantage of JPs strengths but he's not a seasoned veteran like KH. I'm stunned he decided to take an obvious backup job over the starting gig in Cleveland but that tells me he values his life - as their OLine/skill positions ended last season as the worst in the NFL.

I'm also happy that we have a guy who's been in a competitive situation with a #1 draft choice and will probably mentor JP because he's been down the road before.

Doesn't have JP's arm but it's decent.

263389[/snapback]

I don't think his arm is too much better than Shane Matthews. His deep balls really float.

I'm cool with it, though. He can beat the Steelers JV team, & that's good enough for me. ;)

In all seriousness, if AD likes him, I will take his word that this is a good signing. The Browns are one team that I have seen very little of over the last few seasons. I know Holcomb had some astounding games (didn't he throw for almost 500 yards one game last season?), and some not so great games...I once labled Holcombe as "dreck" along with a bunch of other free agents QB's, but AD defended him. (AD seems to have great knowledge of the Browns) I did a little "scouting" and came to the conclusion that Holcomb was one of our very best realistic options. I am pretty happy with this signing!

In all seriousness, if AD likes him, I will take his word that this is a good signing.  The Browns are one team that I have seen very little of over the last few seasons.  I know Holcomb had some astounding games (didn't he throw for almost 500 yards one game last season?), and some not so great games...I once labled Holcombe as "dreck" along with a bunch of other free agents QB's, but AD defended him. (AD seems to have great knowledge of the Browns)  I did a little "scouting" and came to the conclusion that Holcomb was one of our very best realistic options.  I am pretty happy with this signing!

263403[/snapback]

We share our half of the bar with the Brown's fanclub so I see alot of their games.

Folks wanted competition in training camp?  Well....there it is.....

I would have taken Kelly H. over Bledsoe LAST year

263406[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing - IMO we might've been in the playoffs last year with Holcomb at QB, and if something happens to JP, I don't feel we'd have to write off the season now.

Bottom line: Holcomb knows what it takes to not lose a game. That's all you want out of a backup.

Here are the terms:

Bills | Holcomb Agrees to Terms - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:44:21 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Buffalo Bills have agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent QB Kelly Holcomb (Browns). The contract agreement is for a four-year, $6.6 million deal, including a $2 million signing bonus. Holcomb is expected to compete with QB J.P. Losman for the starting job.

Here are the terms:

Bills | Holcomb Agrees to Terms - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:44:21 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Buffalo Bills have agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent QB Kelly Holcomb (Browns). The contract agreement is for a four-year, $6.6 million deal, including a $2 million signing bonus. Holcomb is expected to compete with QB J.P. Losman for the starting job.

263419[/snapback]

NICE. That means the deal is probably only going to hit us for just over a million this season.