Notable stat indicative of Taylor's valuable play right now

Hilarious.

...not meant to be a slam by ANY means......I sure as hell want the kid to succeed and realize his lifelong dream to be an NFL starting QB........just saying there were no bites leaguewide for his services prior to Buffalo restructure.....what's hilarious?.............

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...not meant to be a slam by ANY means......I sure as hell want the kid to succeed and realize his lifelong dream to be an NFL starting QB........just saying there were no bites leaguewide for his services prior to Buffalo restructure.....what's hilarious?.............

He was never available to any team other than the Bills at any point this offseason. Not sure what made you think otherwise.

I think the biggest difference between the O and D is that the D plays consistently well much more of the time. Other teams generally get a couple of long drives (Atlanta did better, but with a really good offense), but the Bills force a lot of 3 and outs or short drives. The Bills O sometimes gets it going and dominates, but the next possession is a 3 and out. What's up with that? I really would like to see the Bills get MORE dominant on O when they have a lead. Step on their throat, as the current buzz phrase has it.

He was never available to any team other than the Bills at any point this offseason. Not sure what made you think otherwise.

I don't think this is correct. My understanding is that when the Bills came to him and told him they wanted him to take a pay cut, that essentially released him from his contract and let him offer his services to any other team. He got no takers, at least none he wanted, so he re-signed for less money.

I think the biggest difference between the O and D is that the D plays consistently well much more of the time. Other teams generally get a couple of long drives (Atlanta did better, but with a really good offense), but the Bills force a lot of 3 and outs or short drives. The Bills O sometimes gets it going and dominates, but the next possession is a 3 and out. What's up with that? I really would like to see the Bills get MORE dominant on O when they have a lead. Step on their throat, as the current buzz phrase has it.

I don't think this is correct. My understanding is that when the Bills came to him and told him they wanted him to take a pay cut, that essentially released him from his contract and let him offer his services to any other team. He got no takers, at least none he wanted, so he re-signed for less money.

Your understanding is incorrect.

Three points :

(1) The "Taylor is only a back-up" shtick is on it's last legs. My friendly advice? Don't be the last rat off that sinking ship......

(2) Though you didn't bring this one up, the "Bills were looking to dump Taylor" thing is based on zero evidence. Yes, a zillion sportswriters speculated endlessly it was the case, but they never got a quote from anyone - or a quote on deep background - or an anonymous quote - or a quote from someone quoting someone anonymously - or a quote from someone quoting someone anonymously on deep background. Personally, I think the Bills always had an eye towards restructuring from day-one. If anyone did denigrate Taylor behind the scenes, it was contract posturing - and they made damn sure nothing got out which might sour the deal.

(3) Taylor never tested the open market. Now did he have an idea where he might go and for how much? Sure. And I'd bet he could have gotten the same money or slightly more than the Bills' deal, but it would have also been short-term cash. Remember, the new contract wasn't a pay cut by this year's wages, it just eliminated long-term guaranteed money for a short-term deal. The Bills didn't want a multi-year commitment, and TT was happy with that if he got his dime along with freedom going ahead. If I had to guess, I'd bet he didn't see any likely landing spots offering better success for his "prove-it" year than staying with the Bills

Edited by grb

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000856686/article/qb-index-week-5-tom-brady-unfair-alex-smith-on-fire

Per NFL.com

#8 Tyrod Taylor QB

Bills

I've read enough about what Taylor can't do. What he can do is scare the daylights out of the league's best defenders like Von Miller, who guarded Taylor on one Week 3 play as if the QB was LeBron James about to take Miller to the hole. Taylor responded by flipping a pass across his body 31 yards down the field to tight end Nick O'Leary. These moments are incredibly common for a quarterback ranked 31st in pass attempts.

2017 stats: 4 games | 65.7 pct | 744 pass yds | 7.5 ypa | 5 pass TD | 1 INT | 118 rush yds | 0 rush TD

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000856686/article/qb-index-week-5-tom-brady-unfair-alex-smith-on-fire

Per NFL.com

#8 Tyrod Taylor QB

Bills

I've read enough about what Taylor can't do. What he can do is scare the daylights out of the league's best defenders like Von Miller, who guarded Taylor on one Week 3 play as if the QB was LeBron James about to take Miller to the hole. Taylor responded by flipping a pass across his body 31 yards down the field to tight end Nick O'Leary. These moments are incredibly common for a quarterback ranked 31st in pass attempts.

2017 stats: 4 games | 65.7 pct | 744 pass yds | 7.5 ypa | 5 pass TD | 1 INT | 118 rush yds | 0 rush TD

I read this, and it is a good sign re: Taylor, but the reality I think is the Bills staff know they can't win with Taylor throwing the ball. They are trying to get JUST enough out of the

rushing game (ranked 16 on NFL) to limit Tyrod's attempts to 25 / game. This is dead last in the NFL at this point, and clearly by design. It's working now, which is great. At some point,

the Bills are going to have to move the ball in the air and Tyrod's limitations will again be on display.

I read this, and it is a good sign re: Taylor, but the reality I think is the Bills staff know they can't win with Taylor throwing the ball. They are trying to get JUST enough out of the

rushing game (ranked 16 on NFL) to limit Tyrod's attempts to 25 / game. This is dead last in the NFL at this point, and clearly by design. It's working now, which is great. At some point,

the Bills are going to have to move the ball in the air and Tyrod's limitations will again be on display.

This never makes any sense to me. The only time this offense has moved the ball, outside of like one drive, has been when Taylor was throwing the ball. So why is it the Bills move downfield when they open the playbook and don't do jack when they go back in a shell... would they feel that Taylor cant throw the ball?

Ill tell you one thing for sure... they wouldn't be 3-1 with this running game. It hasn't done jack squat. All the running game has done these last 4 games, outside of that one drive, is put the offense in a hole and make it more difficult on Taylor.

No, this is not correct. Taylor was always under contract with the Bills and the Bills alone. All anyone can do is speculate about what other teams might have offered him on the open market.

I'm just going to repeat this stat.

Tyrod Taylor has the 3rd highest Passer Rating in the NFL when trailing the opponent.

And before you say that hasn't been very often, I think if you look it up the Bills have trailed 35-40% of the time so far this year and 49 of Taylor's 99 passing attempts have come in that time.

No, no, no.......you are reading this all wrong.........it means he's only good in garbage time. :thumbsup:

Seriously though......the reason they aren't trailing much is because he has responded when given the opportunity to do so by Dennison..........they tend to be ultra conservative with the lead but when they are trailing and being even moderately aggressive Tyrod is generally responding.........despite a terrible WR corps.

Yes I agree. Not that I am hoping we find out but would be interesting to see the impact on these numbers if we are down 10-14 points in games...

DLJzcghXkAAodYg.jpg

Interesting because it doesn't really correlate with sack %.

Top 10 by sack % are

1) Alex Smith (11.68%)

2) Tyrod Taylor (10.81%)

3) Andy Dalton (10.22%)

4) Jacoby Brissett (10.00%)

5) Cam Newton (9.68%)

6) Trevor Siemian (9.35%)

7) Josh McCown (9.23%)

8) Aaron Rodgers (8.57%)

9) Carson Palmer (8,50%)

10) Brian Hoyer (8.07%)

It's no secret I'm not a Taylor fan, and I still don't see him as the long term answer in Buffalo but I do give the guy credit the last few weeks bouncing back big time after a horrid performance in Carolina.

Does anybody really believe he's capable of leading this team from behind in games as the stakes get higher in November and December? How about on the road in a playoff game?

Now, Nathan, just chill out. Your turn will come. Be patient and stop with these posts. Don't you have Cinci video to watch?

This never makes any sense to me. The only time this offense has moved the ball, outside of like one drive, has been when Taylor was throwing the ball. So why is it the Bills move downfield when they open the playbook and don't do jack when they go back in a shell... would they feel that Taylor cant throw the ball?

Ill tell you one thing for sure... they wouldn't be 3-1 with this running game. It hasn't done jack squat. All the running game has done these last 4 games, outside of that one drive, is put the offense in a hole and make it more difficult on Taylor.

Add in our horrible WR core to this, which the TT haters ignore and it's even more impressive. WR are horrible, even all the analyst know this but somehow it's gets ignored here. Hell I bet Bills coaching knows we are one of the weakest wr core in the nfl

Add in our horrible WR core to this, which the TT haters ignore and it's even more impressive. WR are horrible, even all the analyst know this but somehow it's gets ignored here. Hell I bet Bills coaching knows we are one of the weakest wr core in the nfl

And then they use the "We beat Atlanta because they lost Julio" argument.