Deadspin - The NFL Should Legalize Holding

HappyDays

I thought this was an interesting article/idea. I would be all for it. As it is offensive holding is called way too inconsistently so why not just let it go?

http://deadspin.com/the-nfl-should-legalize-holding-1818617349

Okay, so lets all come to a détente and agree that NFL games are, at the moment, lackluster. The QBs are ****. The lines are ****. Everyone is hurt. And there are endless, endless penalty flags (stares daggers at Pete Morelli). Even though the NFL has successfully sped these games up, at least half the leagues teams remain downright unwatchable.

I propose NFL legalize holding for offensive linemen, but only behind the line of scrimmage, and you cant bring a defender to the ground.

There are a lot of annoying penalties in the NFL, but holding is probably the most grating of them all. I have seen more great plays called back by ticky-tack holding calls than great plays upheld as legal. The fact that holding is a 10-yard penalty instead of five yards (because reasons?) makes it an instant drive killer. Moreover, as the old adage goes, theres holding on every play, so the holding penalties that do get called are more or less called in an arbitrary fashion.

There remain some truly great o-linemen playing out there right now, but on the whole, its a position group that is finding itself increasingly outclassedphysically and schematicallyby the beasts playing on the other side of the ball.

I thought this was an interesting article/idea. I would be all for it. As it is offensive holding is called way too inconsistently so why not just let it go?

http://deadspin.com/the-nfl-should-legalize-holding-1818617349

They have been testing this in Foxboro for years. Fat drunk Bob says it still needs more studying.

If i had to choose one rule to change, it wouldn't be holding. PI is way more influential and inconsistent. Holding calls that are iffy or missed are certainly a problem but not nearly as much as the way pass defenders are overly persecuted for PI

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

If i had to choose one rule to change, it wouldn't be holding. PI is way more influential and inconsistent. Holding calls that are iffy or missed are certainly a problem but not nearly as much as the way pass defenders are overly persecuted for PI

This writer says if they legalize holding they should also loosen up on the PI, so defenses still have some chance of stopping the pass.