Bills Flagged Repeatedly...for playing the Jets

theRalph

I never liked preseason college football rankings. They're based solely on "reputation and expectation"...which I see being applied in heaps to rationalize the Bills 21-12 win over the Jets. The overriding sentiment that the below average Bills won because the Jets are so bad, is a little inaccurate. I could try to prove that, but the only real proof or lack of is the results after say, four games.

But if today we were talking about the Bills losing to the Chiefs 42-27 and the Patriots beating the Jets 21-12, we would be saying that the Bills are kind of weak as expected, and we'd be talking about how the Patriots have picked up where they left off on their march to 16-0, nicely fitting the national perception. The media would not be excusing away the Pats win because of the Jets ineptness. They'd be all over the Patriots for beating a divisional opponent that always plays them tough.

I'm not here to crown the Bills, but let's not penalize them for playing the Jets. The Bills look pretty sound and definitely pass the eye test. It's on to Carolina.

As much as I despise the Pats, they have built quite the resume to stand on over the years. I think there was a stat that they are now 80-1 at Gillette under BB while leading at halftime? That is unbelievable! The media is going to give them every shred of the doubt before burying them. And they'll probably be right. Remember in 2014? Look the Bills beat what is likely the worst roster in the NFL. If they string together a few wins and do it vs teams closer to the NFL average in terms of talent, then they'll deserve some kudos.

I never liked preseason college football rankings. They're based solely on "reputation and expectation"...which I see being applied in heaps to rationalize the Bills 21-12 win over the Jets. The overriding sentiment that the below average Bills won because the Jets are so bad, is a little inaccurate. I could try to prove that, but the only real proof or lack of is the results after say, four games.

But if today we were talking about the Bills losing to the Chiefs 42-27 and the Patriots beating the Jets 21-12, we would be saying that the Bills are kind of weak as expected, and we'd be talking about how the Patriots have picked up where they left off on their march to 16-0, nicely fitting the national perception. The media would not be excusing away the Pats win because of the Jets ineptness. They'd be all over the Patriots for beating a divisional opponent that always plays them tough.

I'm not here to crown the Bills, but let's not penalize them for playing the Jets. The Bills look pretty sound and definitely pass the eye test. It's on to Carolina.

Considering the amount of turn over on the Bills roster from last year....whole new secondary, arguably a weaker receiving corp, and a FB for a backup running back, and that's just a few of the big changes...Not to mention a first year head coach...the Jets were probably counting this as a win....Pretty impressive IMO...

Edited by ricojes

Only the Bills play bad teams we all know this. No one in the entire league plays against the Browns, the Jets, Jags, Rams, 49ers and others except Buffalo. God we are a stupid fan base sometimes. All games count

And how many times have we lost to those type of teams? That's why I'll take any win. I'm just not ready to make Super Bowl plans either.

I am hoping Brady has hit the "Wall" it sure looked like it last Thursday.

You can say you can play until your 45 but sometimes God sends a message and maybe you don't want to hear it.

OP....The Bills played well enough to win,like you said on to Carolina.

This will be a good test for the Bills.

And how many times have we lost to those type of teams? That's why I'll take any win. I'm just not ready to make Super Bowl plans either.

....how many times during the drought have we beaten teams we should NOT have but lost to teams that we should NOT have?........gotta get it right some day......

Heard the same when it was said on WGR and then, as now, I thought: "Okay...so?"

The point is what? That the Bills don't get no respect? That the Pats* get the benefit of the doubt? That it's unfair?

I hate the Pats*, too, but when you win like they have, you get the benefit of the doubt, and when you're consistently mediocre like the Bills have been, you don't get praised for beating bad teams. That's the way life is.

Also, the Jets don't look pretty sound. Nothing they did yesterday looked remotely impressive. It was Pop Warner offense, lousy run D, and altogether good enough to compete for the #1 pick in the draft.

Edited by WickedGame

This is quite the straw man argument you posted. I don't believe anyone would have been impressed by NE only winning 21-12 vs NYJ and leaving 10 points on the field.

I think there was a stat that they are now 80-1 at Gillette under BB while leading at halftime? That is unbelievable!

Yes, and considering the randomness inherent in the sport, that is nearly statistically impossible. Or, more specifically, they cheat in myriad ways to adjust the competitive balance in their favor.

Maybe Goodell showed up in person to advise them that they've been caught and future gamesmanship such as tampering with headsets and audio being sent to helmets will no longer be tolerated.