2018 Mock drafts and top prospects

Watkins101

Buffalo Bills: Quarterback

deaba426ab4fc7bc335479925931ba2e_crop_ex

Count me in the group of people who don't understand why the Buffalo Bills seem so determined to move on from Tyrod Taylor. They do, though, and with two first-round picks in this year's draft and around $40 million to spend in cap space, this is the time to get a passer if they want one.

The Bills have likely played their way out of one of the top four quarterbacks in the draft. If the front office likes Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph, it's in good position to get one of them, but everything I've heard from scouts in Buffalo is that the team loves Sam Darnold. Well, he's a top-five pick, so they'd either have to trade up to get him or move on.

This is one of the more fascinating situations to watch. The Bills are a good football team, and head coach Sean McDermott has done a lot with a little since they traded away many assets to rebuild the roster.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Buffalo Bills: Quarterback

deaba426ab4fc7bc335479925931ba2e_crop_ex

Count me in the group of people who don't understand why the Buffalo Bills seem so determined to move on from Tyrod Taylor. They do, though, and with two first-round picks in this year's draft and around $40 million to spend in cap space, this is the time to get a passer if they want one.

The Bills have likely played their way out of one of the top four quarterbacks in the draft. If the front office likes Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph, it's in good position to get one of them, but everything I've heard from scouts in Buffalo is that the team loves Sam Darnold. Well, he's a top-five pick, so they'd either have to trade up to get him or move on.

This is one of the more fascinating situations to watch. The Bills are a good football team, and head coach Sean McDermott has done a lot with a little since they traded away many assets to rebuild the roster.

He obviously hasn't watched Taylor play much.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 12/24/2017 at 2:38 PM, Will-GM-for-food said:

Lamar Jackson QB - Louisville
Taven Bryan DL - Florida
Rashaad Penny RB - SD st.
Isaiah Wynn OG - Georgia

I'd be good with that.  Don't see Jackson lasting that long though, the way qbs get inflated in April.

Here's my latest from Fanspeak:

18: R1P18
EDGE HAROLD LANDRY
BOSTON COLLEGE
25: R1P25
QB JOSH ALLEN
WYOMING
50: R2P18
LB TREMAINE EDMUNDS
VIRGINIA TECH
60: R2P28
G ISAIAH WYNN
GEORGIA
96: R3P32
DL HARRISON PHILLIPS
STANFORD
120: R4P18
OT CHUKWUMA OKORAFOR
WESTERN MICHIGAN
157: R5P18
WR DANTE PETTIS
WASHINGTON
166: R5P27
RB AKRUM WADLEY
IOWA

• Like (+1) 1

If the Bills passed on Allen at 25, I wouldn't be a happy camper. 

17. Buffalo Bills: Taven Bryan, DT, Florida

Buffalo’s once-feared defensive tackle duo of Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus is no more. With Dareus now a Jaguar and Kyle Williams a 34-year-old free agent, it’s time for Buffalo to build its next tandem. Enter Bryan, who is an explosive and powerful penetrating force at defensive tackle.

Bryan is outstanding at dictating reps early with outstanding hand usage, leverage and power. Buffalo needs to retool its defensive line with players capable of winning one-on-one matchups, and Bryan has the traits needed to consistently do so at the next level.

25. Buffalo Bills (via Kansas City Chiefs): Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

Sean McDermott went from five seasons with Luke Keuchly in Carolina to Preston Brown in Buffalo. While Keuchly is among the elite defenders in the game, Brown leaves much to be desired in terms of instincts and range in a scheme that demands it. With Brown being a free agent at season’s end, Buffalo will likely be happy to move on.

Evans provides the versatility to play any of the three linebacker spots in a 4-3. Offering a blend of athletic ability and physicality, Evans is a three-down player with sideline-to-sideline range who plays with a high level of urgency. That is exactly what Buffalo needs at linebacker. He can be that field general.

13 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

I just don't get some of these mocks with the Bills passing on QBs. That's been our biggest weakness along with the DL. 

Very simple. People see a team that got rid of “a lot of talent”, but improved, with a game managing QB who doesn’t turn the ball over. But they also don’t see that he can’t consistently get his team in the end zone. 

18 (tie). Buffalo Bills 
Record: 8-7 (.498) 
Top needs: QB, LB, DT 
The skinny: With Marcell Dareus gone, the Bills might decide to lock in on finding a quality DT early in the draft. They need to improve at linebacker. QB could be the top priority, even though Tyrod Taylor is signed through next season and they drafted Nathan Peterman in 2017.

25. Buffalo Bills (via Chiefs) 
Chiefs record: 9-6 (.489) 
Bills top needs: QB, LB, DT 
The skinny: This is the pick the Bills acquired when the Chiefs traded up to land Patrick Mahomes in the 2017 draft. The linebacker position should be addressed, and DT is a need now that Marcell Dareus has been shipped to Jacksonville. The Bills should be looking for an upgrade at QB, too.

NFL.com 2018 Draft Order: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000855910/article/2018-nfl-draft-order-and-needs-for-every-team

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Another Mock with the Bills passing on Josh Allen at 25. ;)

17. Buffalo Bills: Derwin James, S, Florida State

25. Buffalo Bills: Arden Key, DE/OLB, LSU

Hey, Don said we are taking him so ...

I would be pist too if skip over a decent QB prospect for a LB or any other position for that matter.

9 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

I just don't get some of these mocks with the Bills passing on QBs. That's been our biggest weakness along with the DL. 

It's only the 1st round.  I have no problem with the Bills passing if Rosen and Darnold are going 1 and 2.  The only other guy I would want is Jackson.  I'm starting to wane on Rudolph as a 1st rd pick.  He may go 2nd.  QB's will get inflated but I don't want the Bills REACHING on picks.  I'd be happy taking Rudolph or Falk in rd 2 or 3 and bolster up other areas in rd 1 if Darnold and Rosen are out of the picture.

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

18 (tie). Buffalo Bills 
Record: 8-7 (.498) 
Top needs: QB, LB, DT 
The skinny: With Marcell Dareus gone, the Bills might decide to lock in on finding a quality DT early in the draft. They need to improve at linebacker. QB could be the top priority, even though Tyrod Taylor is signed through next season and they drafted Nathan Peterman in 2017.

25. Buffalo Bills (via Chiefs) 
Chiefs record: 9-6 (.489) 
Bills top needs: QB, LB, DT 
The skinny: This is the pick the Bills acquired when the Chiefs traded up to land Patrick Mahomes in the 2017 draft. The linebacker position should be addressed, and DT is a need now that Marcell Dareus has been shipped to Jacksonville. The Bills should be looking for an upgrade at QB, too.

NFL.com 2018 Draft Order: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000855910/article/2018-nfl-draft-order-and-needs-for-every-team

I would also add RG and RT to the mix although probably not in the 1st but those spots definitely need upgrading.  Hell even Center.

59 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

It's only the 1st round.  I have no problem with the Bills passing if Rosen and Darnold are going 1 and 2.  The only other guy I would want is Jackson.  I'm starting to wane on Rudolph as a 1st rd pick.  He may go 2nd.  QB's will get inflated but I don't want the Bills REACHING on picks.  I'd be happy taking Rudolph or Falk in rd 2 or 3 and bolster up other areas in rd 1 if Darnold and Rosen are out of the picture.

Any QB not taken in round one is not considered a good prospect by NFL teams.  That does not mean that occasionally a QB drafted after round 1 doesn't turn out to be good.  It also doesn't mean that any QB taken in round 1 will be good.

Outside of round 1, the odds of finding decent starters at any position is a lot higher than finding a decent QB.

I am not saying that the Bills should reach for a compromise QB prospect in round 1, but rather spending a valuable 2nd on a QB who will have significant weaknesses in his game as s a waste

Edited by OldTimer1960

This is not a mock draft. But, if you need to know, I did do all the work to put one together last week—our editors asked me to, and it’s actually a valuable exercise in that, by making calls, you learn where the league stands on prospects.

Long story short, we decided not to chase the clicks before the draft order is set and Black Monday comes and goes. Instead, I’m going to keep the full list to myself. For now. But I’m going to share with you what stuck out to me while vetting it with scouts from around the league, with some hints of where I had certain players landing . . .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.