Tyrod in Concussion protocol (update - Cleared 9/5)

YoloinOhio

So your plan is to wait and see what Peterman shows before committing to investing in the QB position early in the 2018 draft? That's a bad plan. Even if Peterman comes in and lights up the universe Nick-Foles-in-Chip-Kelly's-1st-year-style, you still draft a QB early in 2018. Look what happened to Foles: from 27 TDs and 2 INTs to possible-long-term-backup in 2 short seasons.

I certainly have no idea what the Ginger Hammer or Brandon Beane have in mind for 18. Unless you are close with Leroi I am not sure you do either.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Buffalo Bills could be approaching some history if rookie quarterback Nathan Petermanstarts on Sunday against the New York Jets.

Both Tyrod Taylor and T.J. Yates remain in the concussion protocol, although they returned to the practice field on Monday. If Taylor is unable to go, Peterman would be in line to start the season opener.

Peterman was the 171st pick of the 2017 NFL Draft. Only three quarterbacks drafted 100th or later have ever started Week 1 as a rookie:

• Our old friend Kyle Orton was the 106th pick of the 2005 NFL Draft, and started 15 games for the Chicago Bears. Orton wasn’t very good (he threw only nine touchdowns to 13 interceptions), but the Bears leaned on running back Thomas Jones and the league’s top scoring defense to finish 11-5.
  • Dak Prescott was picked at the back end of the fourth round by the Dallas Cowboys last year. An injury to Tony Romo forced him into action, where all he did was lead the Cowboys to a 13-3 record and an NFC title game while making the Pro Bowl.
  • The record holder in this category? The immortal Randy Hedberg, who was drafted 196th overall by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1977. If you know your NFL history, you know that would place his starts right in the middle of the Bucs’ NFL-record 26-game losing streak. Hedberg started four games that year and played in seven. The Buccaneers did not score a touchdown while he was on the field, and were shut out in four of his seven appearances. He never played in the NFL after that year."

I certainly have no idea what the Ginger Hammer or Brandon Beane have in mind for 18. Unless you are close with Leroi I am not sure you do either.

I think that their plan has been pretty clear. They passed on the guys this year and have spent all offseason acquiring assets to draft their QB in 2018 (a class that has a chance to be one of the best ever). That has been pretty obvious.

And fwiw, Bandit has plenty of sources over there as well. He's brought a lot of inside info.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I think that their plan has been pretty clear. They passed on the guys this year and have spent all offseason acquiring assets to draft their QB in 2018 (a class that has a chance to be one of the best ever). That has been pretty obvious.

And fwiw, Bandit has plenty of sources over there as well. He's brought a lot of inside info.

IF the lock solid plan was to draft a QB in 18 why draft a QB this season when they already had a starter in TT?

There are plenty of other need positions on the team.

I don't know what they are doing. It just doesn't add up as being a definite thing. Unless drafting a QB high in the next 2, 3 or 4 drafts is the plan.

The Bills would need to have the 1st or 2nd selection in the 18 draft to "secure" the best QB available. Can they do that with the JETS, Browns, and 49ers out there?

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

long term future?

honestly, you're putting the cart way before the horse here. you can not base a thorough evaluation or determine where the kid will be in the future based off 3 preseason games, you can't. now if you were to put it more in a wishful line of thinking it would seem more appropriate at this juncture.

you were pretty high on taylor and had basically the same expectations.

I too am curious to see what the kid can bring to the table if taylor were to fail but even then I see peterman as nothing more than a back up and their future starter will likely be drafted in 2018.

what are you going to do if taylor lights it up and peterman doesn't even see the field? you still going to be calling for peterman? not saying it will happen but that's the point, we have no clue at this point and unless he is not cleared, taylor will start.

Curious, do you take sides to an argument?

I think I've explained my position on this topic well...

IF the lock solid plan was to draft a QB in 18 why draft a QB this season when they already had a starter in TT?

There are plenty of other need positions on the team.

I don't know what they are doing. It just doesn't add up as being a definite thing. Unless drafting a QB high in the next 2, 3 or 4 drafts is the plan.

The Bills would need to have the 1st or 2nd selection in the 18 draft to "secure" the best QB available. Can they do that with the JETS, Browns, and 49ers out there?

That's why I said that they should trade Shady and Tyrod. Don't try to win 6-7 games. That's the worst case scenario. Either way though I'd bet any amount of money that the Bills take a guy by round 2 at the latest.

no I don't really. just an observation and reply to your most recent post(s) with some interesting takes by yourself.

You called me a flip flopper and I already agreed so what are you looking to accomplish here.

Edited by Figster

Back to the subject:

Where Taylor likely sits in Return-to-Participation process

On Monday, Tyrod Taylor practiced with his Bills teammates even though he was still in the concussion protocol. The reason why is because he was taking part in the Return-to-Participation Protocol (see below). Knowing he was able to participate in practice Monday, it would appear that he was at step 4, and need only clearance from the Team Physician and Independent Neurological Consultant assigned to the Bills to be a full participant in practice and cleared at some point, hopefully, later this week.

Return-To-Participation Protocol

Step 1 – Rest and Recovery
The player is prescribed rest until his signs and symptoms and neurologic examination, including cognitive and balance tests, return to baseline status.

Step 2 – Light Aerobic Exercise
Under direct oversight of the team’s medical staff, the player should begin graduated cardiovascular exercise and may also engage in dynamic stretching and balance training.

Step 3 – Continued Aerobic Exercis & Introduction of Strength Training
The player continues with supervised cardiovascular exercises that are increased and may mimic sport-specific activities, and supervised strength training is introduced.

Step 4 – Football Specific Activities
The player continues cardiovascular, strength and balance training and participates in non-contact football activities (e.g. throwing, catching, running and other position-specific activities).

Step 5 – Full Football Activity/Clearance
Upon clearance by the Team Physician for full football activity involving contact, the player must be examined by the Independent Neurological Consultant (INC) assigned to his Club. If the INC concurs with the team physician that the player’s concussion has resolved, he may participate in his Club’s next practice or game.

I replied to your recent takes, you want me to go back and review your past takes, I'm not going to do that. so carry on fig, I think were done here.

I've replied out of courtesy,

not because you're adding anything to a discussioon...

I've replied out of courtesy,

not because you're adding anything to a discussion...

and you are?

no, you're not. since peterman had such a stellar preseason you have jumped ship on a guy you propped up all off season. I was simply adding to yet another of your many posts on the subject, that preseason is not enough to be so high on the rookie or, in your case give up on the starter, which you have done. I understand, you're desperate as most are for a QB so putting all your hope in to the rookie while believing he is the long term answer is no surprise