Josh Rosen's Comments on academics and football

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... a doctor needs to be a smart person. Does a football player need a degree to play football professionally?

Exactly, that's the crux of the matter. To be a Dr you need to build on the knowledge you gain. Class work is totally unrelated to football, but that's the route they have to take if they want a shot. Many of these kids were just not meant for college, so schools help them stay eligible. The worse part is many kids want to be challenged academically in college, but the football program holds them back rather than yielding (see Robert Smith). I really see both sides, and I don't have a perfect answer.

"reason will prevail!"

haha appreciate the civility.

Hopefully, Peterman is a stud and we won't need to draft a QB. I like Peterman a lot as a person. Stand up guy.

Exactly, that's the crux of the matter. To be a Dr you need to build on the knowledge you gain. Class work is totally unrelated to football, but that's the route they have to take if they want a shot. Many of these kids were just not meant for college, so schools help them stay eligible. The worse part is many kids want to be challenged academically in college, but the football program holds them back rather than yielding (see Robert Smith). I really see both sides, and I don't have a perfect answer.

A lot of kids are in college who don't belong there, not just some athletes.

First off. Clemson is not an "easy school" and secondly, they didn't study sociology.

Um, Watson majored in communications, which is sociology by another name (I speak from authority - my daughter is majoring in it). In terms of rigor, there isn't a dime's worth of difference at a place like Clemson. In many places, sociology is exceptionally rigorous (given its powerful intellectual tradition), and more rigorous than communications.

And who is using these results as a measuring stick for the whole university?

UA enrolls a lot more low end students than UCLA. No is disputing that, but why is that a bad thing? Keep in mind that Alabama also enrolls a lot of really high end students. 40% of the freshman have >30 ACTs. To suggest that UA is a crappy school is just showing your ignorance.

You seem to have selective reading and are hell bent on defending the honor of Alabama. Enjoy.

Preventing the poorer kid from getting a real degree while on campus is working against him.

Whether they honestly had the tools to get one is another matter.

Makes for a great six-way binding of hypocrisy.

There are millions of people with Bachelors degrees who can't find work that meets their educational level. Debating the definition of "real degree" is a matter of semantics. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Um, Watson majored in communications, which is sociology by another name (I speak from authority - my daughter is majoring in it). In terms of rigor, there isn't a dime's worth of difference at a place like Clemson. In many places, sociology is exceptionally rigorous (given its powerful intellectual tradition), and more rigorous than communications.

Maybe Rosen should gather his facts before he shoots his mouth off. Or just not shoot his mouth off. Why bad mouth Alabama and demean the degrees of two other players?

Communications isn't engineering or the hard sciences, but not all students are cut out for that. It's a legitimate degree.

You seem to have selective reading and are hell bent on defending the honor of Alabama. Enjoy.

Please explain my "selective reading"?

There are millions of people with Bachelors degrees who can't find work that meets their educational level. Debating the definition of "real degree" is a matter of semantics.

And in real fields where you have tangible deliverables and a profit motive, no one cares where you sent to school.

Well, I guess we will agree to disagree about Mr. Rosen. I just hope we don't draft him.

Let's see how he looks this year before jumping to conclusions. If he' turns it and becomes a helluva player, I frankly don't give a damn what he thinks about the college system. I just want to win, preferably with non-felons.

I do think that Clemson gets a lot of guys who really aren't fit for college. (Cough cough ... CJ Spiller.) Rosen would definitely have been right about that if he said it (which he didn't). The same goes for FSU.

This is a great point. I was a big fan of Spiller but the whispers were that he really struggled to learn the playbook. But Spiller graduated from college; was on dean's list, & an academic all American.

Big time college football is a scam.

There are millions of people with Bachelors degrees who can't find work that meets their educational level. Debating the definition of "real degree" is a matter of semantics.

I could give you 100 degree titles that eat up more than half and even if you took 3 huge injections of novacaine into your jawline and lay in the deepest pockets of a hyperbolic chamber you'd burst out laughing and telling me to stop by #10.

A few years ago SI did some make-me-cry story about a backup QB at Penn State or Pitt or whatever and how he is doing well in pre-meds (not argued) and how this was WHAT FOOTBALL IN COLLEGE WAS REALLY ABOUT.

And I wondered how lightning didn't fall from the sky...

Hopefully, Peterman is a stud and we won't need to draft a QB. I like Peterman a lot as a person. Stand up guy.

same. he appears to have a very adamant approach to his goals. once I read a couple articles and watched some clips, I really think the Bills may have something with him.

Let's see how he looks this year before jumping to conclusions. If he' turns it and becomes a helluva player, I frankly don't give a damn what he thinks about the college system. I just want to win, preferably with non-felons.

The guy is a loose cannon who has demonstrated very poor judgement. I would never draft him.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/11/11406540/josh-rosen-donald-trump-golf-course-hat-ucla-quarterback

same. he appears to have a very adamant approach to his goals. once I read a couple articles and watched some clips, I really think the Bills may have something with him.

Did you watch the show where Peterman worked with Gruden? Gruden has a man crush on him.

This is a great point. I was a big fan of Spiller but the whispers were that he really struggled to learn the playbook. But Spiller graduated from college; was on dean's list, & an academic all American.

Big time college football is a scam.

Spiller ran scared. He was afraid of getting hit.

Edited by Sky Diver

15 Players With The Worst Wonderlic Scores In NFL Combine History

Alabama places a lot of players in the NFL, yet not one Alabama player is in the bottom 15 for Wonderlic scores. Did Rosen mean to say Ohio State?

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/02/18/10-players-with-the-worst-wonderlic-scores-in-nfl-combine-history/#slide_1

Edited by Sky Diver

Rosen is regurgitating what's already been said about NCAA Football. Nothing new here nor intelligent.

If anything that's what damning. He tried to sound intelligent. But added no insight.

Just another quarterback who's been taught he owns the world.

QBs are princes of US.

How do you know he's not intelligent? Because he's honest makes him dumb?

The guy is a loose cannon who has demonstrated very poor judgement. I would never draft him.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/11/11406540/josh-rosen-donald-trump-golf-course-hat-ucla-quarterback

Did you watch the show where Peterman worked with Gruden? Gruden has a man crush on him.

Spiller ran scared. He was afraid of getting hit.

haha gruden's enthusiasm is what did it for me, i think.

oh yea, the man was head over heels. haha

15 Players With The Worst Wonderlic Scores In NFL Combine History

Alabama places a lot of players in the NFL, yet not one Alabama player is in the bottom 15 for Wonderlic scores. Did Rosen mean to say Ohio State?

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/02/18/10-players-with-the-worst-wonderlic-scores-in-nfl-combine-history/#slide_1

Be careful - you're setting the lowest of low bars here. Plenty of knuckle dragging mouth breathers have gone to Bama over the years. Moreover, you're wrong. Ragland got a 10, which is the high bar on your link: http://wonderlictestsample.com/nfl-wonderlic-scores/ . And Reuben Foster got a 9!

Travis Henry got a 9 and Spiller a 10.

Finally, whether it's 10th worst or 25th worst, 9s and 10s on the Wonderlic are truly horrible scores. It basically means you're functionally illiterate.

Edited by dave mcbride

I could give you 100 degree titles that eat up more than half and even if you took 3 huge injections of novacaine into your jawline and lay in the deepest pockets of a hyperbolic chamber you'd burst out laughing and telling me to stop by #10.

A few years ago SI did some make-me-cry story about a backup QB at Penn State or Pitt or whatever and how he is doing well in pre-meds (not argued) and how this was WHAT FOOTBALL IN COLLEGE WAS REALLY ABOUT.

And I wondered how lightning didn't fall from the sky...

You are correct, but lets not act like football players are the only ones who graduate with those degrees. Millions of people are wandering the streets with useless bachelors degree. Too many of us are making this a black and white issue. Many former college football players achieve professional success. It's the guys who were never cut out for college to begin with who don't.

A lot of kids are in college who don't belong there, not just some athletes.

But they don't need to go to college to be a janitor or a chef or a truck driver or many other very honorable professions. Kids who are maybe not college material have virtually one venue to show themselves for the NFL - COLLEGE football.

Look, as I said earlier, Rosen was wrong to single out Alabama, but it's true that different schools have different floors for student/athlete admission. I'm sure Bama is a fine school. Many of your posts seem designed to defend "your" school, and that's not my point. If you want to play in the NFL, you have to go do the college thing first, and that's not always a good fit.