United will take your money, but not your minors

Just Jack

United Airlines barred a 15-year-old boy from Richmond from boarding his flight home, leaving him stranded in a Connecticut airport for nearly 10 hours while his parents scrambled to find him a way back to B.C. Victor Shmulevich was trying to fly home to YVR airport after finishing a summer program at Yale University. But when he approached the United agent at Bradley International Airport near Hartford, the man told him the airline doesnt allow unaccompanied minors on connecting flights.

"For me whats most concerning is that [united] didnt actually try to assist us," he said. "They said sorry, youve got to deal with this by yourself. We cant do anything."

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/fifteen-year-old-from-richmond-left-stranded-by-united-airlines-1.3529058

He is a minor

Have laws changed over the years? I ask because I remember flying by myself when I was 5 years old. My dad was military and I would go long stretches without seeing him so I would fly to see him. My mom would drop me off at the gate, I board the plane myself and flight took off. This was in the 80's.

He is a minor

Holy criminy Randee, the kid is 15...i hope he can wipe his own arse by now!

Most airlines i think the age is 12..i remember both my kids flying other airlines with connecting flights much younger than 15.

This is just United trying to snag another $100 for walking a near freaking adult to a gate..a 10 minute gig.

Holy criminy Randee, the kid is 15...i hope he can wipe his own arse by now!

Most airlines i think the age is 12..i remember both my kids flying other airlines with connecting flights much younger than 15.

This is just United trying to snag another $100 for walking a near freaking adult to a gate..a 10 minute gig.

And yet, they (United) are liable if something happened to that 15 year old?

could this be why?

Portland Press Herald · 2 hours ago

SAN FRANCISCO – A teenage boy traveling alone opened an emergency door after his plane landed, slid down the wing and jumped onto a tarmac at San Francisco before shocked

could this be why?

Teen jumps out of plane emergency door at San Francisco Airport

SAN FRANCISCO A teenage boy traveling alone opened an emergency door after his plane landed, slid down the wing and jumped onto a tarmac at San Francisco before shocked

By tasers from mutant lobsters shooting shark guns that actually fire sharks because the kid was a maroon

could this be why?

SAN FRANCISCO A teenage boy traveling alone opened an emergency door after his plane landed, slid down the wing and jumped onto a tarmac at San Francisco before shocked

By tasers from mutant lobsters shooting shark guns that actually fire sharks because the kid was a maroon

9174b543ca914133c37ec48d1b3534c8.png

could this be why?

9174b543ca914133c37ec48d1b3534c8.png
new guy, eh?

My 13 yo niece just flew 'unaccompanied' on united. I handed her off at the gate to a United rep and they allowed me to stay at gate until plane took off. My brother was the recipient at the other end of this cross country flight. He produced ID at gate to 'collect' his daughter. It was very smooth and I thought the United folks were great. This was a direct flight, however.

It does cost a fair amount. I believe it was a 150 dollar charge to have the extra guidance/assistance for her.

But you did make some sort of prearrangement no?

This other kids parents may not have.

the kid was 15, I don't think he needs extra guidance. Every other airline Bills Fan M.Ds niece would have been just fine to fly alone and avoid the $150 fee. And maybe i am nuts, but I thnk a 13 year old is perfectly capable of reading/following signs that say "Bagge Claim/Exit/Ground Transportation".

United did absolutely zilch for Bills Fan MD niece, and collected $150!

So the family was trying to scam the system?

Like those people pretending that their 100lb luggage is a carry-on...

No, Air Canada initially booked the ticket, and they are a normal airline that says 15-year-olds can fly by themselves. Even another airline would not think a 15 year could not fly alone...hence the issue at the United counter for the return flight...outward flight was on Air Canada.

BTW, almost all airlines are 12, and you can accompany a minor to the gate with a pass given at check in by the airline...and the person at final destination can also get a pass to meet said child at gate...all at ZERO cost.

Again, this is a pure fee generator for United.

I should add my just turned 16 son tools around DC all the time by himself and with friends, going to Nats games, the monuments at night etc with his friends taking metro/Uber/bike etc. So i am certainly biased that I think 15-year-old kids can read signs and be aware of their surrondings

Edited by plenzmd1

the kid was 15, I don't think he needs extra guidance. Every other airline Bills Fan M.Ds niece would have been just fine to fly alone and avoid the $150 fee. And maybe i am nuts, but I thnk a 13 year old is perfectly capable of reading/following signs that say "Bagge Claim/Exit/Ground Transportation".

No, Air Canada initially booked the ticket, and they are a normal airline that says 15-year-olds can fly by themselves. Even another airline would not think a 15 year could not fly alone...hence the issue at the United counter for the return flight...outward flight was on Air Canada.

BTW, almost all airlines are 12, and you can accompany a minor to the gate with a pass given at check in by the airline...and the person at final destination can also get a pass to meet said child at gate...all at ZERO cost.

I should add my just turned son tools around DC all the time by himself and with friends, going to Nats games, the monuments at night etc with his friends taking metro/Uber/bike etc. So i am certainly bias that i think 15 year old kids can read signs.

Did the family pay the fee or not?

If not, then they're trying to scam. If they did, the family will get a big payout.

...or are you saying it's Air Canada's fault for not paying the fee when they booked united as the connecting flight.

Edited by unbillievable

He does need extra guidance by law. They are a minor. We are in a very litigious society.

Look at it this way. Like me locking through a jetski right before dark. The law says you may NOT OPERATE a jet ski in Illinois between sunset and sunrise.

Now... I can lock the jet ski right before dark, but they will be coming back through , to get to their boat ramp and home, in the dark. What that means, if they get oblitetated, smeared by a towboat or other vessel on my waters, I am liable for allowing them to break the law.

So guess what. Now they sit all night because they can't get home or find some boat to take them home and through the lock. Same thing with the kid. Nobody at the airline wants to be put on hook because somebody broke the minor flying alone rule to begin with.

"Ah... Nothing will happen!"

Until it's your job on the line.

Nobody wanted to sign off on the kid left to his own defenses. Sure they can handle it, they are 15! That's not how lawyers and distraught sue happy parents see it.

I am actually siding with the United employee on this one. Some other employee allowed the rule to be bent and caught others in a pickle.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I should add my just turned 16 son tools around DC all the time by himself and with friends, going to Nats games, the monuments at night etc with his friends taking metro/Uber/bike etc. So i am certainly biased that I think 15-year-old kids can read signs and be aware of their surrondings

I don't have a dog in this fight, but this post is an example of someone who posts without any knowledge of context or history.

Most airlines, certainly any who operate in the US judicial system, understand the massive liability involved in transporting minors.

The definition of "minor" is made by judges and juries, not by somebody posting on a message board.

The claim that "a 13 year old" can do it indicates ignorance of what happens every day, when delays are incurred because people from 1-100 cannot figure out how to make a connecting flight.

Happens all the time. Cause delays every day.

Making a reservation that includes a connection or an international entry with customs/immigration issues is a whole lot different that a domestic nonstop.

Most refuse to take the reservation.

This res was made through Air Canada, a member of United's Star Alliance group.

Surely, someone from United could have been more sympathetic, but they have their rules, and they lose their job in a second by turning a minor loose on an international flight with a connection.