Article on why 2017 passing game can make giant leap forward

Both have good wheels , but nobody in the league displays the Barry Sanders like running skills Taylor has shown from the QB Position IMO.

I think that Taylor is, without question, the best runner at QB. I also think, without question, that Barry Sanders is light years ahead of Taylor as a ball carrier.

It's a little like Mayweather-McGregor. McGregor is a good boxer for a UFC fighter. Floyd Mayweather is one of the best boxers ever. We shouldn't confuse the 2.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Taylor is, without question, the best runner at QB. I also think, without question, that Barry Sanders is light years ahead of Taylor as a ball carrier.

It's a little like Mayweather-McGregor. McGregor is a good boxer for a UFC fighter. Floyd Mayweather is one of the best boxers ever. We shouldn't confuse the 2.

I was literally going to bring up the same analogy.

if he released the ball quicker and with anticipation he would by default avoid having to scramble quite so often

I understand that but there are several instances where pressure gets to him too quick not allowing him the time to scan the field and get a throw off. That's where his elusiveness and running ability become a major asset. Most QBs take sacks in those situations. I do agree that he needs to do a much better job at getting the ball out quicker.

I was literally going to bring up the same analogy.

I'm making a comparison in running styles fellas, (Taylor like Sanders normally avoids contact)

Theres only one Barry Sanders...

Edited by Figster

I'm making a comparison in running styles fellas, (Taylor like Sanders normally avoids contact)

I see your point.

But to play a little devils advocate....I think all QB's try to avoid contact. Especially Kyle Orton when we played Denver....or Drew Bledsoe running out of bounds on 4th down.

Why not just compare him to Michael Vick or Bob Griffin?

Edited by Gugny

I see your point.

But to play a little devils advocate....I think all QB's try to avoid contact. Especially Kyle Orton when we played Denver....or Drew Bledsoe running out of bounds on 4th down.

Elusive is a better way of putting it,

but that description also gets questioned,

( I see your point Tee)

Edited by Figster

I think the problem may be in comprehension.

My point that was that history has clearly shown that - in the NFL - Quarterbacks who run significantly better than they pass never last long and they're never part of winning teams. Never.

I'm not buying that Tyrod !@#$ing Taylor is going to break that cycle based on a bunch of fluff stats that have helped keep the Bills mired in mediocrity.

Those QBs don't last as long, I agree. But they're never part of winning teams? Never?

Mike Vick would disagree. And Vick was definitely more of a runner than Tyrod is. Yet, he made the playoffs a few times over the span of his career, which was a 10+ year career, mind you.

Vick was a lethal weapon. And if anyone watched the NFL Network special on him, you'd know that his coach actually told him when he'd drop back to pass, if he saw a certain coverage, take off and run.

I know there are people who hate to talk about the value of something like that, but that was lethal with Vick. Taylor's not quite the athlete Vick is. But he's probably about as close to the athlete as a runner as anyone in the NFL at QB in a very long time and he's a better passer than Vick is. No, he doesn't have a stronger arm, but Taylor's certainly more of a pocket QB than Vick was.

Cam Newton really falls into this category, too. He's certainly a QB who runs better than he passes and he just made the Super Bowl and was the league MVP a couple years ago.

I don't expect Taylor to play into his 40s, but if he can improve and become a long term answer, if he's playing when he's 35 at a fairly high level (aka: standard NFL starting QB level) I don't think it'd be reasonable to be too upset to have him as the Bills QB.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Those QBs don't last as long, I agree. But they're never part of winning teams? Never?

Mike Vick would disagree. And Vick was definitely more of a runner than Tyrod is. Yet, he made the playoffs a few times over the span of his career, which was a 10+ year career, mind you.

Vick was a lethal weapon. And if anyone watched the NFL Network special on him, you'd know that his coach actually told him when he'd drop back to pass, if he saw a certain coverage, take off and run.

I know there are people who hate to talk about the value of something like that, but that was lethal with Vick. Taylor's not quite the athlete Vick is. But he's probably about as close to the athlete as a runner as anyone in the NFL at QB in a very long time and he's a better passer than Vick is. No, he doesn't have a stronger arm, but Taylor's certainly more of a pocket QB than Vick was.

Cam Newton really falls into this category, too. He's certainly a QB who runs better than he passes and he just made the Super Bowl and was the league MVP a couple years ago.

I don't expect Taylor to play into his 40s, but if he can improve and become a long term answer, if he's playing when he's 35 at a fairly high level (aka: standard NFL starting QB level) I don't think it'd be reasonable to be too upset to have him as the Bills QB.

Steve Young won a championship operating/ running out of the West Coast O.

Rushed for over 4,000 yards in his NFL career and 43 TD's

Edited by Figster

This is a nice article, but I'm just not buying it. I will believe it when I see it. We've seen 29 starts from Taylor and in none of them has he been a quick decision maker. Running the West Coast offense doesn't allow the QB to hold onto the ball for extended periods of time. We can sit here as fans and say that this offense is different than the one run the last two years. While that is fundamentally true, Taylor has had the OPPORTUNITY to make the quick reads and hasn't proven capable of doing it. Let's look at last year as a good example. In his 15 games started last year, he led all quarterbacks in the average amount of time from snap to release 14 times. Similar the year before with leading all quarterbacks in 12 of the 14 weeks he started. That is absolutely massive statistically.

I'm not enamored with Taylor as some, nor think he's a steaming pile of garbage as others. A serviceable average QB would be my characterization. Certainly, a guy that is working hard. He's also a guy that bet on himself with the contract restructure. While I would love for him to show me some Steve Young, I'm not counting on it anytime soon.

Re: Vick - he took the league by storm and was also twice the athlete anyone who came after him was. But once teams figured out how to stop him and to make him try to be a real QB, career over.

Re: Cam Newton - I will respectfully disagree with your assessment. I think Newton passes the ball just about as well as he runs. I think he's the real deal and will be around for a long time.

Re: Taylor - I will also respectfully disagree with your statement that he's a pocket passer. He's anything but. He stays in the pocket for about 1 second, then bails and holds the ball for another 6 seconds before he either takes a dumb sack, throws a bad pass or runs. I think, after Buffalo, his future will be as a backup, where many teams would love to have him.

This is a nice article, but I'm just not buying it. I will believe it when I see it. We've seen 29 starts from Taylor and in none of them has he been a quick decision maker. Running the West Coast offense doesn't allow the QB to hold onto the ball for extended periods of time. We can sit here as fans and say that this offense is different than the one run the last two years. While that is fundamentally true, Taylor has had the OPPORTUNITY to make the quick reads and hasn't proven capable of doing it. Let's look at last year as a good example. In his 15 games started last year, he led all quarterbacks in the average amount of time from snap to release 14 times. Similar the year before with leading all quarterbacks in 12 of the 14 weeks he started. That is absolutely massive statistically.

I'm not enamored with Taylor as some, nor think he's a steaming pile of garbage as others. A serviceable average QB would be my characterization. Certainly, a guy that is working hard. He's also a guy that bet on himself with the contract restructure. While I would love for him to show me some Steve Young, I'm not counting on it anytime soon.

I can respect where you are coming from, but do you think its possible insufficient reps/ attempts in the passing game may have prevented the Bills O from getting into a good rhythm throwing the football?

Having the lowest wonderlic score in the league operating under a somewhat sophisticated run heavy G Roman O is not helping matters.

Edited by Figster

I can respect where you are coming from, but do you think its possible insufficient reps/ attempts in the passing game may have prevented the Bills O from getting into a good rhythm throwing the football?

Having the lowest wonderlic score in the league operating under a somewhat sophisticated run heavy G Roman O is not helping matters.

...knowing that Roman went ballistic at OBD with the Cassel trade, I'll never be convinced he put forth his "best effort" to develop a TT offense....Lynn got left holding the bag.......and Blowhard Wrecks' proclamation that "we'll be a run first team" was probably one of the dumbest in my 55 years.....ONE stallion in the stable......take out the one, and what's the threat?.....you force the pass and the world knew TT was and probably still is in the developmental stages, relying on his wheels as a principal component....Dennison is the right guy to formulate an offense that exploits TT talents and steers away from his weaknesses....thus a quicker read/release style that utilizes crossing routes, rollouts, screens, RB's out, and TE slants, cutting down on his field processing time...it's probably TT's "make it or break year" and if Dennison can't make it happen....oh well...................

Re: Taylor - I will also respectfully disagree with your statement that he's a pocket passer. He's anything but. He stays in the pocket for about 1 second, then bails and holds the ball for another 6 seconds before he either takes a dumb sack, throws a bad pass or runs. I think, after Buffalo, his future will be as a backup, where many teams would love to have him.

I never understood the point of trolling, but some people take to it like mother's milk.......

Edited by grb

...knowing that Roman went ballistic at OBD with the Cassel trade, I'll never be convinced he put forth his "best effort" to develop a TT offense....Lynn got left holding the bag.......and Blowhard Wrecks' proclamation that "we'll be a run first team" was probably one of the dumbest in my 55 years.....ONE stallion in the stable......take out the one, and what's the threat?.....you force the pass and the world knew TT was and probably still is in the developmental stages, relying on his wheels as a principal component....Dennison is the right guy to formulate an offense that exploits TT talents and steers away from his weaknesses....thus a quicker read/release style that utilizes crossing routes, rollouts, screens, RB's out, and TE slants, cutting down on his field processing time...it's probably TT's "make it or break year" and if Dennison can't make it happen....oh well...................

Plan B

Plan B

....yup.....and if TT doesn't pan out, he;d be settling for NFL backup money best case...the interesting wild card is the Peterman kid as far as what he shows......Brylcream Mel and Gruden accolades scare me, but maybe the kid shows something....added benefit is two 1sts in 2018, a rare OBD occurrence....so Plan B may not be so dire......

....yup.....and if TT doesn't pan out, he;d be settling for NFL backup money best case...the interesting wild card is the Peterman kid as far as what he shows......Brylcream Mel and Gruden accolades scare me, but maybe the kid shows something....added benefit is two 1sts in 2018, a rare OBD occurrence....so Plan B may not be so dire......

...to B...

...or not to God damn B...{ John Wayne }

...that is the question...

To start, Taylor is one of the best qbs we have had in the drought (I'd put Fitz over him because he had to do more and had less talent around him but obviously, it's debatable). He is fine.

That said, we have to stop with silly stats to try to boost him up. Yes, there are some worse starters in the NFL. But there have been like 3 games where he has looked like a NFL passing qb. I think people completely underestimate how good the supporting cast is around him. We have a top 5 oline and the best running attack.

People need to review all 22s. Huge pass plays are left all on the field all the one because Tyrod misses reads or won't pull the trigger.

Now, wearegoinnf to system that seems that exact opposite of his skill set. I'm hoping for the best. But I think we may soon see that Roman/ Lynn's system got the best out of Tyrod's strengeths.

P.s. It is a great breakdown but seems a little to much of a fanboy appeal to it.

...to B...

...or not to God damn B...{ John Wayne }

...that is the question...

If it be now, tis not to come,

If it be not to come, it will be now,

If it be not now, yet it will come :

Playoffs !!!