Metal Detectors - experience, advice?

boyst

do you have much luck around creek and river beds?

Along the banks on hard ground, yes,

Your neck of the woods might even have some gold deposited in them old creek beds,

Most of my treasure hunting has been in NY or PA

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took my detector down to the local privy and it was ringing like my phone in a movie theater. I started digging expecting some sweet, sweet booty only to find nothing but copper tubing and pipes. I don't get it? I followed all the instructions. Not only did I find nothing of value, my property management is threatening eviction. Hate you guys!!!!

well considering what Copper is worth today you may have hit the jackpot

Okay... Why not just call it an outhouse?

What's with these archaic British terms making a God awful trendy comeback? Privy? Whilst? Get real...

All these years I had to hear my father thump his chest on how he grew up using an outhouse until he joined the Army and was able to use a flush toilet in Basic...Yada yada... How kids got it soft now.. Yada yada yada... You think they called it a "privy" in Cheektowaga back in the day... He weeps for you softies. :-P :-/

If you told someone you were outhouse hunting you would probably be steered to the nearest porta john/ rep,

Edited by Figster

back before 9/11 my dad would travel a lot with work and other guys. they would cut out aluminum foil guns and place them in a page of the book. "hey mike, you got a long flight, here, try this book, it's fantastic."

Try that now and they might come back with a real gun to discuss this humorous event.

Along the banks on hard ground, yes,

Your neck of the woods might even have some gold deposited in them old creek beds,

Most of my treasure hunting has been in NY or PA

there has been gold found along the creek banks

and quartz arrowhead

there has been gold found along the creek banks

and quartz arrowhead

sounds like some real good hunting grounds to me.

Searching around old houses or house foundations can be very enjoyable/ lucrative.

Ski slopes and areas people sled or snowboard down generally yield allot of clad change and a ring or two on occasion.

I've found old coins overlooking lake Erie along the shoreline, searching through grape vineyards.

Anywhere people have gathered over the years basically.

I've been using an old Whites Classic ID that I modified and keep getting out worked by the Fisher F75 which is much more sophisticated and goes almost twice as deep so I just ordered one from Walmart. ( half original price $ 599 )

The F75 can be fine tuned to target small nuggets of gold which I thought might be of interest to you.

So If you decide on the F75 Jeff we can share tips. Its one of the best detectors on the market.

The one complaint I have with the F75 is that the grip on the handle is "foam" and it gets messy real fast and is impossible to clean. If you ever work a muddy field you grip will look like crap and when it dries out it will look like real crap. I had some experience with this type of grip on my F70 ad F2, same cheap water absorbing foam grips. On my F70 I cut the grip off and remodeled it with a 1/2" PVC pipe, a couple of screws and some black duct tape -- made It more like a pistol grip and not it is water proof and feels much better. Knowing this one irritating fact and seeing my new F75 with the pistol grip style it was still wrapped in this cheap foam. I had a roll of 2" heavy duty Electrical tape that I wrapped around this foam handle and it worked perfect, and I actually like the feel of it. Maybe Fisher will put a nice rubber handle on these one day? Small problem, easy solution. Advice -- I would not use the standard 1" or 3/4" plastic electrical tape -- I have seen this done and it is not long before that tape comes loose and looks terrible and it is still allows water to dampen the sponge grip. If you can find the heavier plastic tape wide enough so you can overlap for a good seal and remember not to pull the tape tight as it will compress the sponge grip and you will lose that nice pistol grip shape.

Can metal detectors detect gold?

Fisher has a detector called the gold bug that runs on a higher frequency more set up for gold prospecting.

The Fisher F75 will also find gold nuggets, just not as small.

Edited by Figster

I've been using an old Whites Classic ID that I modified and keep getting out worked by the Fisher F75 which is much more sophisticated and goes almost twice as deep so I just ordered one from Walmart. ( half original price $ 599 )

The F75 can be fine tuned to target small nuggets of gold which I thought might be of interest to you.

So If you decide on the F75 Jeff we can share tips. Its one of the best detectors on the market.

i'll hit you up in a pm soon, i don't know if i could get my dad in to it, but it could be a hobby i could get in to myself.

sounds like some real good hunting grounds to me.

Searching around old houses or house foundations can be very enjoyable/ lucrative.

Ski slopes and areas people sled or snowboard down generally yield allot of clad change and a ring or two on occasion.

I've found old coins overlooking lake Erie along the shoreline, searching through grape vineyards.

Anywhere people have gathered over the years basically.

Whats your best treasure find, privy or other?

The best thing I've found in the privy to date, would be my phone. Runner up, my sunglasses.

i'll hit you up in a pm soon, i don't know if i could get my dad in to it, but it could be a hobby i could get in to myself.

From a historical standpoint the ground is littered with memento's from the past.

If your into that kind of stuff and not afraid to get your hands dirty its an entertaining and relaxing hobby in my humble opinion.

From a historical standpoint the ground is littered with memento's from the past.

If your into that kind of stuff and not afraid to get your hands dirty its an entertaining and relaxing hobby in my humble opinion.

i'm a farmer. i like my french tips. clearly.

Whats your best treasure find, privy or other?

The best thing I've found in the privy to date, would be my phone. Runner up, my sunglasses.

One of my favorite coins is a 2 cent piece found in my neighbors front yard.