Amazon buys Whole Foods for 14 bill

YoloinOhio

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whole foods is crap. from the farmers i know in their programs there is a lot of stretching and bending of what the labels lead you to believe.

but hey, paying 100% more for trusting a label is awesome.

shop at farmers markets. not whole fools.

Wow!

What's wrong with whole foods?

like I posted earlier, I don't think it's worth paying so much more for the same quality I can find at other stores. It was unique for a bit, but everyone sells organic, non GMO, etc. now. I can find great cuts of meat or fresh seafood at different markets that don't overcharge. Everyone sells prepared foods now. I'd rather go to Market District or Trader Joe's. Around here people just go to WF to "be seen." It's a waste of money imo. Just not my thing. Plus they don't sell local. And they've been caught mislabeling as well with incorrect prices per weight. Edited by YoloinOhio

like I posted earlier, I don't think it's worth paying so much more for the same quality I can find at other stores. It was unique for a bit, but everyone sells organic, non GMO, etc. now. I can find great cuts of meat or fresh seafood at different markets that don't overcharge. Everyone sells prepared foods now. I'd rather go to Market District or Trader Joe's. Around here people just go to WF to "be seen." It's a waste of money imo. Just not my thing. Plus they don't sell local. And they've been caught mislabeling as well with incorrect prices per weight.

they sell all grassfed beef that is not necessarily grassfed beef. the mommas will be fed whatever is found and cheap, dole by product, soy by product, etc.

the calf shoots out. momma keeps eating to milk up the calf - calf isn't allowed to get the same. calf weaned and put on high quality grass which is how grassfed is supposed.

ive seen a loooottttttt of **** at their farms and known their farmers and greatly question it. i also enjoy talking to their meat department guys and see how wrong they are. and i've not been above interrupting them talking to a customer with misleading information and calling the usda and manager of the store about such misinformation.

:beer::beer::beer:

You're in store for a whole different kind of douche bag now. :pirate:

are you familiar with Newport Heights? Have a friend moving there - said they don't have a garage but it's a nice area where you can walk to shopping, restaurants, etc. Guess you don't really need to park in a garage with that weather. Kid is going to Mater Dei.

like I posted earlier, I don't think it's worth paying so much more for the same quality I can find at other stores. It was unique for a bit, but everyone sells organic, non GMO, etc. now. I can find great cuts of meat or fresh seafood at different markets that don't overcharge. Everyone sells prepared foods now. I'd rather go to Market District or Trader Joe's. Around here people just go to WF to "be seen." It's a waste of money imo. Just not my thing. Plus they don't sell local. And they've been caught mislabeling as well with incorrect prices per weight.

I've found that WF carries a lot of odd brands and my theory is it's less about how "special" it is, and more so you can't cost compare. They are more expensive than Publix, and I'm just beginning to realize what a ripoff Publix can be. We eat a lot of fish, and Publix has 5.25 oz portions of swordfish and tune for $11.99-14.99 each. They do the math in small print right on the card and it comes to something like $27-$37/lb. At Kroger, better looking fish for $9.99/lb. Gee, let me think..... Publix also has halibut....for a mere $49/lb.

No. I lived in LA (Long Beach/W. Hollywood) for 14 years, OC for 7 years and the Bay Area for 8.5 years. The Bay Area leads in unique DB category by far.

Agreed!

And Augie, be careful what you getting from Kroger in terms of seafood...especially their farm raised shrimp.

Kroger, at least here in Richmond, for the most parts just takes the frozen fish from their shelves, thaws it out, and then sells from the case.

Now, no worries on frozen, as a matter of fact, i prefer it except for fish from the Cheasapeake.. But I would rather buy the frozen and then thaw when I am ready, as opposed to maybe buying the fish that was thawed yesterday or day before.

I read about a month ago that WF was getting killed by Kroger because they offered organic food for less, and that once people leave they rarely ever come back. I'm not sure I see the wisdom in buying WF but Jeff Bezos has billions more dollars than I do so I'll wait and see.

Yeah, I'll be throwing away some tilapia today that we never got around to. If it were frozen that wouldn't be happening. My biggest irritation is I pay $2/lb more at Publix than Kroger ($7.99 vs $5.99). That's 33% more at Publix. But it's convenient.... :(

I will say, Publix is consistent with their stores. Like a Hampton Inn, nothing special but you know what youre going to get. Kroger has some crappy stores, and some that are actually much nicer than a Whole Foods.

Yeah, I'll be throwing away some tilapia today that we never got around to. If it were frozen that wouldn't be happening. My biggest irritation is I pay $2/lb more at Publix than Kroger ($7.99 vs $5.99). That's 33% more at Publix. But it's convenient.... :(

I will say, Publix is consistent with their stores. Like a Hampton Inn, nothing special but you know what youre going to get. Kroger has some crappy stores, and some that are actually much nicer than a Whole Foods.

completely agree on Kroger! They are everywhere here since HQ in Cincy. Some are awesome (like the Marketplaces) and some aren't even as nice as Tops.

completely agree on Kroger! They are everywhere here since HQ in Cincy. Some are awesome (like the Marketplaces) and some aren't even as nice as Tops.

The Kroger near us is the absolute Pits...i mean just awful. But they have no competition within 15 minutes, so they get to be crappy.

We went in there last night at 7 PM to get some stuff for dinner, looked like a Russian supermarket in 1983..or day before a 4 inch snow storm here...and that happens twice a week seems like.

The Kroger near us is the absolute Pits...i mean just awful. But they have no competition within 15 minutes, so they get to be crappy.

We went in there last night at 7 PM to get some stuff for dinner, looked like a Russian supermarket in 1983..or day before a 4 inch snow storm here...and that happens twice a week seems like.

lol the one by OSU campus is like that. They have like one can of soup.

lol the one by OSU campus is like that. They have like one can of soup.

But how is the beer selection?

The one closest to my house is a dump, but there are some in town nicer than a Fresh Market and several times the size. It's almost hard to believe they are related.

But how is the beer selection?

The one closest to my house is a dump, but there are some in town nicer than a Fresh Market and several times the size. It's almost hard to believe they are related.

i heard Fresh market is closing a bunch of their stores. Too bad.

i heard Fresh market is closing a bunch of their stores. Too bad.

I have a good friend from college who ran a family operated chain of grocery stores around Gallipolis, OH and into WV. It was nearly impossible to compete against the big boys, then a Super Walmart hit the market. This margins got thinner, and he eventually sold out taking a nuisance payment from a big store to go away. Very good money, but chump change to the giants. There is value in eliminating the competition!

Whole Foods and Fresh Market used to have the "healthy" market cornered, but everyone jumped on that bandwagon and the game has changed. We have Sprouts popping up all around us (which I'm not a big fan of), and Costco has good stuff at great prices. This Amazon thing.....I don't know what this looks like in a decade. I do 80% of my shopping in the produce dept and another 18% at the fish and meat counter. I want to look at what I buy and select the exact pieces I'm going to purchase! How is this going to work?