No NFL player famous in the world - ESPN

Hi-light of the month, work colleague comes in with the list and asks me for someone ranking high that "nobody has ever heard of."

Virat Kohli is my reply in a microsecond. He thinks I'm even more of a rainman freak now.

Nah, just a cricket fan, being the top player of a country like India would be worth face recognition by the billions.

I randomly tuned in for the World Cup of Cricket a few years back and saw some Dhoni (i think) guy for India and he was awesome.

Edited by Elite Poster

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you can successfully wear a man bun whilst "playing" it.... than it's not a sport.

soccer = terrible.

This reminds me of the George Carlin skit about talking about how there are only 3 sports

Hi-light of the month, work colleague comes in with the list and asks me for someone ranking high that "nobody has ever heard of."

Virat Kohli is my reply in a microsecond. He thinks I'm even more of a rainman freak now.

Nah, just a cricket fan, being the top player of a country like India would be worth face recognition by the billions.

Yea I knew Kohli and Dhoni would be on this list. India is a huge country and cricket mad.

Dhoni less so the last calendar year, winding it down...

Kohli is godlike status to billions now...

SI ran a major feature asking if anyone could identify the biggest endorsement earning in world sports, I knew it was Michael Schumacher.

Being more worldly might be a Canadian trait, we skim the best (and trashiest) of US, UK, and world culture without even trying.

and it's good to be the office encyclopedia of amazing facts without looking it up, just knowing these things...

Dhoni less so the last calendar year, winding it down...

He is still a legend over there though.. captained them in all 3 formats, they became the no 1 test team for the first time under him. He is a huge superstar. Kohli is clearly in the prime of his career which helps but Dhoni is an Indian cricket legend right up there with Gavaskar and Sachin.

He is still a legend over there though.. captained them in all 3 formats, they became the no 1 test team for the first time under him. He is a huge superstar. Kohli is clearly in the prime of his career which helps but Dhoni is an Indian cricket legend right up there with Gavaskar and Sachin.

Oh yes for sure, I still have Botham posters in my sports cave and listen to every word when he broadcasts for test and ODI and T20s, usually do a lot of fast fowarding if he's off the mic...

Oh yes for sure, I still have Botham posters in my sports cave and listen to every word when he broadcasts for test and ODI and T20s, usually do a lot of fast fowarding if he's off the mic...

Botham the player was just before my time. He had retired just as I got into cricket. He is a fantastic commentator. The last 10-15 have been for the most part good for English cricket. When I was a kid in the 90s we were terrible!

England should have a decent shot at the upcoming tourney, home means a lot.

Great summer of a South Africa tour, then the Ashes.

It's a narrow interest in Canada, somehow I got hooked on soccer and cricket in the 70s...

May Beefy continue for another 20 years!

Do you go to (what I'll call) games?

I guess the list only about active players otherwise Tendulkar would be high on the list. He would come in top 5 you think?

I guess the list only about active players otherwise Tendulkar would be high on the list. He would come in top 5 you think?

Well I suppose it depends if you allowed non-active players from other sports and then how you judge fame. But Sachin is the finest batsman I have ever seen. Such incredible soft hands.

Great summer of a South Africa tour, then the Ashes.

I have tickets for 3 days of the South Africa test at Lords. And I am going to the Windies test there later in the summer too. Be a hard job down under this winter though. I think one or two of our older boys are beginning to creek. Jimmy particularly.

Yeah right. Preston Brown can't walk down the streets in Paris or Liverpool without a mob of fans wanting his autograph or picture.

To be fair getting mobbed in Liverpool can happen to anyone......

Dhoni won almost all the titles a country can win, plus he got couple of ipl titles to with as a captain. Dhoni definitely has respect while Kohli has the craze following him on Twitter world and Facebook.

Kohli is the current captain and star, the others named were not on the roster for recent test matches.

same effect as putting Michael Jordon on recognizable lists even after he has left the game?

Alright GB, enjoy the matches. Question, what can you see during the game from the stands? It looks like you are very far away from the action, the best seats are further away than decent baseball seating, do you watch on large screens to show the details of a bowl?

Test matches don't have the same following it did few decades ago. It's all about T20 now anyways. Test cricket is still purest form of the sport though.

I was at the game this past February and I found the atmosphere to the T20 game to be fun. But in terms of watching the action its not that good. Best seats are behind the batsman.

Edited by billsherd

Alright GB, enjoy the matches. Question, what can you see during the game from the stands? It looks like you are very far away from the action, the best seats are further away than decent baseball seating, do you watch on large screens to show the details of a bowl?

When the quicks are on you wanna be either behind the bowler or behind the batsman. If you are watching from the side it can be a bit of a blur. You see when the slower bowlers are on. But it is just a great day. We always get seats at the commentary box end at Lords opposite the pavilion. I was there in Durham 2013 as well when we sealed the Ashes by taking 7 or 8 Aussie wickets in the final session just as the light faded. That was one of the best sporting atmospheres I have ever been in.

When the quicks are on you wanna be either behind the bowler or behind the batsman. If you are watching from the side it can be a bit of a blur. You see when the slower bowlers are on. But it is just a great day. We always get seats at the commentary box end at Lords opposite the pavilion. I was there in Durham 2013 as well when we sealed the Ashes by taking 7 or 8 Aussie wickets in the final session just as the light faded. That was one of the best sporting atmospheres I have ever been in.

Some day I'd like to visit and see this.

Are good tickets at Lords available to the public at face value?

Or is a 2 year waiting list like Bayreuth (for other cultural pursuits...)

Edited by row_33

Going to any championship trophy games?

No surprise here. As far as the world is concerned the NFL is a regional nuanced sport. Outside of the US they have heard of Brady (maybe) but revere Messi, Christiano, Pogba, Neymar......

I wonder if Brady's helped internationally by being married to Giselle. :lol: