Sal: "Durability, Reliability, Accountability, Availability"

The 4 pillars of what this regime wants in a player. He said he was told this directly by someone with the Bills when he asked about Cyrus yesterday ... and thinks it will apply to decision making across the board with each player.

He says that they want good football players, not choir boys. Marcel Dareus is going to get more chances than Kujo. But the onus is on Dareus to be accountable, not on the Bills to deal with outside noise and distraction if it impacts his availability. Have to get on the field.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sammy will be given the opportunity to check all those boxes. He checks 2 of the 4 right now. He's accountable and reliable. He doesn't get in trouble and he can be relied on to produce when he's healthy. He needs to prove he's durable and will be available.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The 4 pillars of what this regime wants in a player. He said he was told this directly by someone with the Bills when he asked about Cyrus yesterday ... and thinks it will apply to decision making across the board with each player.

He says that they want good football players, not choir boys. Marcel Dareus is going to get more chances than Kujo. But the onus is on Dareus to be accountable, not on the Bills to deal with outside noise and distraction if it impacts his availability. Have to get on the field.

Did he say anything about in what way Kujo didn't check them? Durability I would guess, with the knees and the hips. But the word from prev. GMs/coaches was that Kujo was available when needed, and (prior to the infamous field incident) he was not in any "accountability, availability" trouble. Still, as you say, a backup OT gets less chances than a top-of-the-league talent DL.

Did he say anything about in what way Kujo didn't check them? Durability I would guess, with the knees and the hips. But the word from prev. GMs/coaches was that Kujo was available when needed, and (prior to the infamous field incident) he was not in any "accountability, availability" trouble. Still, as you say, a backup OT gets less chances than a top-of-the-league talent DL.

reliability (off-field issues ... unspecified), availability (can't get on field - I assume they mean right now), durability (hip and knee)

you can see that in their top 3 picks.

I wonder if each player will get a clean slate. For example, Dareus had issues last couple years but as of now (knock on wood) he has none that I know of. Other than being in the drug program which he will need to pass the tests. Same with Seantrel. Jonathan Williams had the DUI last year which will likely result in a 2-game suspension this year. Does that factor in? Kujo's off field injury and then pantsless incident with police were both after McD arrived... just wondering

Edited by YoloinOhio

This was the thinking that led to trading Marshawn Lynch.

Not like they had a real choice. In Seattle, he opted in and suddenly his stats improved.

2007: 4.0 YPA

2008 4.1 YPA

2009: 3.8 YPA

2010: 3.6 YPA

2011: 4.4 YPA

2012: 5.0 YPA

2013: 4.2 YPA

2014: 4.7 YPA

2015: 3.8 YPA

Quick quiz: Look at those numbers and guess when he started having legal problems in Buffalo, and when he left Buffalo for Seattle.

I think Lynch demanding a trade led to trading Lynch.

Exactly.

I wonder if each player will get a clean slate. For example, Dareus had issues last couple years but as of now (knock on wood) he has none that I know of.

They have no choice but to keep Dareus for the next two seasons, regardless of what he does or doesn't do.

They have no choice but to keep Dareus for the next two seasons, regardless of what he does or doesn't do.

Sal commented that wouldn't matter if they did have a contract that was easily exited, he would get the same chances due to his talent level and performance when on the field.

Not like they had a real choice. In Seattle, he opted in and suddenly his stats improved.

2007: 4.0 YPA

2008 4.1 YPA

2009: 3.8 YPA

2010: 3.6 YPA

2011: 4.4 YPA

2012: 5.0 YPA

2013: 4.2 YPA

2014: 4.7 YPA

2015: 3.8 YPA

Quick quiz: Look at those numbers and guess when he started having legal problems in Buffalo, and when he left Buffalo for Seattle.

Not only that but in 2010, he gained weight and was playing at 230 lbs.

I read an article about a year after he was traded that he didn't even stretch before his last few games in Buffalo...he just didn't care anymore.

I think Lynch demanding a trade led to trading Lynch.

I think Lynch showing lack of GAS on the field and in his locker room attitude led to trading Lynch.

Not only that but in 2010, he gained weight and was playing at 230 lbs.

I read an article about a year after he was traded that he didn't even stretch before his last few games in Buffalo...he just didn't care anymore.

The weight impact is real. If one looks at his stats his first games in Seattle after the trade, he actually had worse YPA than in B'lo: except for that embarassing gallop in the 4th quarter of the NO playoff game, he looked like the same "meh" player as in B'lo and no huge loss.

It's like that playoff game relit his football fire and he started working out in the off season and getting his "beast mode" back.

Lynch punched his own ticket out of Buffalo. Regardless of his success thereafter. It doesn't mean the trade shouldn't have happened. He is accountable for the trade. If the Bills had kept him, I don't think he's their key to the playoffs or that he doesn't get a 1 year suspension. He wanted out and he got out, but it was his own actions that led to it.

Edited by YoloinOhio

You know this all sounds good but it really doesn't mean anything until they show that it leads to success on the football field.

Chan Gailey sounded good too with his "tough game for tough people" and "getting bigger" talk and Greg Williams was as detail oriented as McDermott is. Neither one of them were able to win though. Flaws were revealed once the games started.

Still, it's nice that they have a plan.

Don't see a problem with this philosophy as a base for your roster makeup and foundation. A strong base allows you to bring in high risk(off-field/injury prone/etc) players. But this team has doubled down on question marks the past few years and it has not worked out.

For me, I'd use it as a guideline but not an absolute rule. Each player is case by case. You strive for all 4 boxes to check but some might be in progress - if you believe in the player as a whole you might move fwd with 2 or 3 of the 4.