The reward for being "team player" in New England

If there was ever a player who put the team before himself, it was Troy Brown of the Patriots. When he agreed to play DB as well as WR, he hurt his own chances to reach contract incentives. So he cost himself big bucks so his team could win another title.

Apparently he thought he would be rewarded with a contract extension. What he got was a pink slip.

Lawyer Milloy chose his words poorly when he said you "...can't feed your family with Super Bowl rings." I think what he meant was you can't count on anyone, especially your team, to think about your interests. Now matter what you sacrifice for the team, once the offseason starts, you are just a cap number.

I think it will be REAL interesting how the Pats treat Tedy Bruschi, considering his stroke is a non-football condition. The Pats are under no obligation to pay him another penny, and this is a guy many call the soul of that team.

I have to believe the whole team unity blah-blah is going to start wearing thin if guys like Brown and Bruschi can get the shaft. Apparently, loyalty is a one-way street in Patsyland.

By the way...I would LOVE to see Troy Brown as a Bill. There's your 3rd receiver, plus an extra DB to boot. And if I'm Troy Brown, and I want to make the Pats pay, what better team to play for than the Bills?

PTR

Now matter what you sacrifice for the team, once the offseason starts, you are just a cap number. 

258680[/snapback]

I think this is a valid point, but I would amend it to be "No matter what you've sacrified for the team, once the offseason starts, you are only your age and your salary." It's a bit sad, but that's how it is in today's colder NFL.

I have to believe the whole team unity blah-blah is going to start wearing thin if guys like Brown and Bruschi can get the shaft.  Apparently, loyalty is a one-way street in Patsyland.

PTR

258680[/snapback]

You know it will end at some point! Milloy came off as an ass in that interview a few weeks back, but essentially, he was right...team loyalty does not normally go both ways in sports. Guys like Brown, Law, Milloy, etc etc have helped the Patriots become a model franchise, both on and off the field. Once the players start wanting their piece of the pie, they are shown the exit! It almost seems that the Patriots will unravel internally, rather than on the field. As a Bills fan, I would like to see it sooner, rather than later....

Say what you will about Belichek, but he seems to know when to let a player go. If he says it was in the Pat's best interests to let Brown go, it probably was.

258760[/snapback]

Jermaine Wiggins. Cast off tight end after their first Super Bowl. Caught 10 passes in the Snow Bowl. Not invited to camp.

He was the leading receiver for the Vikes last year. Spires, Woody, Milloy they all can still play and several others.

I have to believe the whole team unity blah-blah is going to start wearing thin if guys like Brown and Bruschi can get the shaft.  Apparently, loyalty is a one-way street in Patsyland.

258680[/snapback]

I don't know, they got over Milloy pretty quick.

I'm a little surprised to see Troy Brown leave, but nice guys finish last. We all saw first-hand what happened when John Butler was a nice guy & richly rewarded all those underachievers/players on the downside.

Jermaine Wiggins.  Cast off tight end after their first Super Bowl. Caught 10 passes in the Snow Bowl.  Not invited to camp.

He was the leading receiver for the Vikes last year.  Spires, Woody, Milloy they all can still play and several others.

258782[/snapback]

What they did as individuals after they were released doesn't matter when the team from which they were released keeps winning...

Jermaine Wiggins.  Cast off tight end after their first Super Bowl. Caught 10 passes in the Snow Bowl.  Not invited to camp.

He was the leading receiver for the Vikes last year.  Spires, Woody, Milloy they all can still play and several others.

258782[/snapback]

Outside of that game, how many passes did he catch for them?

Do many of you forget this is a business? Both the owners and players realize this.

Troy Brown was cut early which actually helps him.

258782[/snapback]

And if the Pats had resigned all those guys and Brown for the money they wanted, they would be in cap hell and wouldn't be able to afford to go out and find guys like Dillon.

This is the first year Brown would have made "1st WR money" with the Pats, and as a result he got cut because he wouldn't take a paycut. But he's as expendable as anyone on that team, including Brady who they're about to give a "monster" deal. Actually I should say "was expendable" because I think that losing Weis and Crennel to a smaller degree, will make it harder for them to plug-and-play anyone.