QB comparative data for Tyrod from Cian Fahey to discuss

Yes, this is correct. I think the Bills have a pretty good team with, at best, an unproven QB. Sammy healthy and the defense playing well, Tyrod takes them to the playoffs, along with about 20 other QBs. That, in fact, is the strategy that many teams follow. Panthers, Ravens, Atlanta (although you can at least argue about Ryan being elite), Houston (with disastrous results so far), Atizona, Kansas City.

I think we all agree on one thing, and that is that the only way you can compete for the Super Bowl, year in and year out, is to have an elite QB. If you have one of those, you're in the fight every year. Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Ben, maybe Ryan. If you don't have one but you have one of the 20, you're trying to get everything to come together for a season or two. If you can, you can make a run at the Lombardi. In the meantime, everyone is looking for the elite QB.

The real debate here has been whether the Bills should be actively looking for someone better to replace Tyrod, because he's at the bottom of the 20, or should be actively building around him because he has the potential to be around the top of those 20.

Im my opinion no there are NOT a lot of qbs that could lead this team into the playoffs with a healthy Sammy and a top 10 defense

There are about 15

And they are all playing for other teams

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im my opinion no there are NOT a lot of qbs that could lead this team into the playoffs with a healthy Sammy and a top 10 defense

There are about 15

You say 15, I say 20. It's a pretty big number. But you are correct, none are available. And most of your 15 probably aren't upgrades.

There are about 15

Really? A top 10 defense, a healthy Sammy Watkins, and the #1 rush attack in the league...I'd wager there are only about 5 starting QBs who COULDN'T make the playoffs with all that.

Which is really the overall point: if you don't have a really good QB you should ALWAYS be looking to upgrade, because every single other NFL team without one is saying to themselves, "Well, if we just fix the defense and get production out of our skill players and good coaching and no injuries, we can sneak in with QB X"...it's kind of not saying anything at all except that you aren't going to win a Super Bowl.

It's a regular crusade by him, his name should be in the title with how many posts and words he has put into his work in this thread. SMH

I agree with many, Tyrod is just not good enough and needs to be replaced if we are ever going to be a playoff team.

Why are you being such a baby?

I've limited my Tyrod discussion mainly to this thread alone, which is one of 2 threads I've started on the subject of Tyrod.

You literally post all the same types of posts all the time that are full of complete hot air opinion. I'm fine with your position on the subject, but why do you jump into discussion if you don't even try to have a reasonable, intelligent discussion?

One cannot survive w/o the other it seems

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills

Which players on each team have the most to prove in 2017?

Inconsistency has afflicted Tyrod Taylor as a passer, while Sammy Watkins needs to stay healthy, Mike Rodak writes.

Mike Rodak's a douche...

just putting that out there :flirt:

It could be argued that a lot of QBs could lead this team deep in the playoffs every year with a healthy Sammy Watkins and a top 10 defense.

Sure, it could be argued that way, true.

But it's not like Sammy Watkins was some well-established vet in the NFL who's proven he can be an Elite WR. I love the guy's talent, but he's been massively underwhelming in the NFL based on expectations.

Still, it's notable that Sammy has split time almost exactly evenly between Taylor and the combo of Orton/Jones/Manuel with 19 games under Taylor (1 of those being a 1 catch 1st quarter injury in Miami in 2015 and out) and 18 under those other guys.

1398 yards, 73.6 yards per game, 17.5 yards per catch

1061 yards, 58.9 yards per game, 14.5 yards per catch

​And sure, you could argue EJ and Jones really skew those numbers, and they do because Sammy did better with Orton. But he still only averaged 65 yards per game... 8 yards less than Taylor.

The point is not that Taylor is great or those guys are great measures. They point is you talk about Sammy as though he's some well established superstar... as though Sammy obviously was much more critical to Taylor's success than vice versa and I think it's awfully presumptuous to say that.

There are about 15

So you think that if Sammy plays a full 16 games healthy and the Bills have a top 10 defense with Taylor they're likely to miss the playoffs...?

Hell they almost made the playoffs under that exact scenario with EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton at the helm.

So you think that if Sammy plays a full 16 games healthy and the Bills have a top 10 defense with Taylor they're likely to miss the playoffs...?

Hell they almost made the playoffs under that exact scenario with EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton at the helm.

When I say that there are 15 players that we cant have......and TT is our player which we would have made the playoffs with a top 10 defense and a healthy Sammy

Imo......sorry to confuse the issue

Really? A top 10 defense, a healthy Sammy Watkins, and the #1 rush attack in the league...I'd wager there are only about 5 starting QBs who COULDN'T make the playoffs with all that.

Which is really the overall point: if you don't have a really good QB you should ALWAYS be looking to upgrade, because every single other NFL team without one is saying to themselves, "Well, if we just fix the defense and get production out of our skill players and good coaching and no injuries, we can sneak in with QB X"...it's kind of not saying anything at all except that you aren't going to win a Super Bowl.

You are entitled to your opinion.....

Sure, it could be argued that way, true.

But it's not like Sammy Watkins was some well-established vet in the NFL who's proven he can be an Elite WR. I love the guy's talent, but he's been massively underwhelming in the NFL based on expectations.

Still, it's notable that Sammy has split time almost exactly evenly between Taylor and the combo of Orton/Jones/Manuel with 19 games under Taylor (1 of those being a 1 catch 1st quarter injury in Miami in 2015 and out) and 18 under those other guys.

1398 yards, 73.6 yards per game, 17.5 yards per catch

1061 yards, 58.9 yards per game, 14.5 yards per catch

So, interpolated over 16 games with Tyrod, Watkins would "average" about 1200 yards on 17.5 YPC? Those don't look like career-killing numbers to me. Sort of undermines the "Watkins wants out of Buffalo because Tyrod is trash" narrative, doesn't it?

So, interpolated over 16 games with Tyrod, Watkins would "average" about 1200 yards on 17.5 YPC? Those don't look like career-killing numbers to me. Sort of undermines the "Watkins wants out of Buffalo because Tyrod is trash" narrative, doesn't it?

And how many of the games Sammy's played with Taylor has he been fully healthy?

And still amassing that production...?

Honestly, I just can't believe people are acting like it's Sammy getting the short end of the stick here.

Mike Rodak's a douche...

just putting that out there :flirt:

beyond that ... is he wrong?

And how many of the games Sammy's played with Taylor has he been fully healthy?

And still amassing that production...?

Honestly, I just can't believe people are acting like it's Sammy getting the short end of the stick here.

to wit

We need production across the board. If Sammy's all TT's got, then one or both shall fall.

Still ranked middle of the pack at 16th in ppg.

Old School with all due respect I think your missing the point

- Offense improves to 10 most scoring points in the league

- DEFENSE drops from 5th overall into the middle of the league

- End result...the wins/losses remain the same for the team

Now Im not saying that the offense could not have been better....it could have....but which one here was the most likely reason we missed the playoffs?

Old School with all due respect I think your missing the point

- Offense improves to 10 most scoring points in the league

- DEFENSE drops from 5th overall into the middle of the league

- End result...the wins/losses remain the same for the team

Now Im not saying that the offense could not have been better....it could have....but which one here was the most likely reason we missed the playoffs?

I don't have a link, but the advanced statistics guys ranked our defense quite a bit lower than middle of the pack last year...more like "bottom of the barrel."

Still ranked middle of the pack at 16th in ppg.

The whole idea of how a run heavy O will succeed is not with a middle of the pack Defense.

Middle of the pack is not a good Defense. :thumbdown:

I don't have a link, but the advanced statistics guys ranked our defense quite a bit lower than middle of the pack last year...more like "bottom of the barrel."

when the opposition continues to flip the field on you despite a good run game its a recipe for failure.(IMO)

Its very likely that with a better D the Bills O would have ranked even higher in PPG in my humble opinion.

Starting field position is key...

Edited by Figster

We had the 11th best starting field position in the league last year.

Right, and the O made the most of it ranking 10th in the league in PPG.

The problem is giving the opposition the ball deep in its own territory and watching them march the entire length of the football field.

Can you see how that works against us?

with all due respect

Right, and the O made the most of it ranking 10th in the league in PPG.

The problem is giving the opposition the ball deep in its own territory and watching them march the entire length of the football field.

Can you see how that works against us?

with all due respect

IIRC, the Bills' offense had the fewest turnovers in the league last year (by far), which obviously helps a defense's PPG considerably.