RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

Posts like this are just stupidly antagonistic and ultimately the reason all these Taylor arguments drag on.

If Peterman is better than Taylor, who is good in the sense that, unlike QBs we've had in a very long time, he's an NFL starting QB, at worst.

A QB who is "better than Taylor" would be likely at least a top 15 NFL QB since Taylor's, at worst, somewhere around 20.

Consistently top 15 QBs are franchise QBs in my book. I don't know what your definition is.

The simple solution don't respond. A person with a teachers mentality should know that.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes more than being comfortable. It takes understanding what he sees on the field where he severely lacks. If Western Kentucky can confuse him...an NFL defense will make his head spin.

I feel Yates and Peterman means the end of Jones.

Jones will end up on the PS. Who's going to pick him off the squad knowing that if they do, they have to sign him to the 53 man active roster?

Cardale is a better passer... Stronger arm... Quicker release.... Better throwing mechanics.... All Cardale has to do is find a WR and/or TE he's comfortable with, and he'll shine... More, and more I feel like TT's days as a bill are numbered.

.....ALL mechanical.....first and foremost, can he process the entire field in time alotted, both offensively and defensively?......as Steve Young said, "more collegiate QB's fail than succeed because of the speed and complexity of the game at the NFL level"....he could have the strongest arm and best mechanics on the planet, but if the "gray matter" can't cut it, forget it......look at TT.....4 year understudy and a 2 year starter and he still struggles with processing the field......TT was a 4 year college starter compared to Cardale's prolific collegiate career where he essentially was a one year starter....published reports last year said he struggled to run the Scout Team.....final roster is probably TT-Yates & Peterman to PS, where he may not last....may end up on active 53 if poached, depending on camp, pre-season, etc with Yates cut and a search for a PS guy...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

It takes more than being comfortable. It takes understanding what he sees on the field where he severely lacks. If Western Kentucky can confuse him...an NFL defense will make his head spin.

I feel Yates and Peterman means the end of Jones.

In fairness to WKU, they've sent a few notable players to the NFL in the past few years... It's actually a damn decent program for Conference USA... It's not Ohio State, but those kids aren't pushovers.

The simple solution don't respond. A person with a teachers mentality should know that.

Actually I work with faculty all day long every day.......they do the exact opposite of that

Yet, you hear the mantra of letting a QB sit and develop before being thrown to the wolves.

Fact of the matter is, the guy sat for the better part of four years, showed some glimpses his first year starting but was stagnant in his second...

You have to take into account total time in the league in terms of the light going on or not.

Tyrod Taylor was NOT a NFL starting caliber qb when he came into the league from the reports I read......he had mechanical flaws and fled the pocket that first sight of a different color jersey.

The time he spent behind Flacco actually DID improve him......he has come a long way.

But nothing replaces live fire action....in Tyrod's first year he was better then his second.....but his quality of pass catcher's was also better.

It will be interesting to see his 3rd year....he looks to have a improved team around him....if Dawkins can supplant Mills he wont have to worry about instant pressure off the snap from the right side.....Zay Jones looks like one of those "go to when you need a first down" guys while Watkins is a home run hitter....then they brought in NFL caliber wr's behind them even if they arent superstars....several in fact.

I would really like to see the bills get Bainridge and run a lot of 2 TE set stuff from the combonation of Clay, Bainridge, and Logan Thomas....we do have some talent there

Nobody is looking at him as a 7 year starter. We are looking at him as a 6 year veteran in the league because that's exactly what he is.

Yes. That's what he is. He's a QB who was in the NFL learning the game for 4 years before earning a starting job in year 5 when he began seeing any real regular season action.

Oh, are you a teacher, too? Edited by transplantbillsfan

.....ALL mechanical.....first and foremost, can he process the entire field in time alotted, both offensively and defensively?......as Steve Young said, "more collegiate QB's fail than succeed because of the speed and complexity of the game at the NFL level"....he could have the strongest arm and best mechanics on the planet, but if the "gray matter" can't cut it, forget it......look at TT.....4 year understudy and a 2 year starter and he still struggles with processing the field......TT was a 4 year college starter compared to Cardale's prolific collegiate career where he essentially was a one year starter....published reports last year said he struggled to run the Scout Team.....final roster is probably TT-Yates & Peterman to PS, where he may not last....may end up on active 53 if poached, depending on camp, pre-season, etc with Yates cut and a search for a PS guy...........

Peterman to PS? No chance unless he completely falls apart in camp, which I feel is unlikely.......

Peterman to PS? No chance unless he completely falls apart in camp, which I feel is unlikely.......

...probably right.....falling to the 5th was a hiccup.....Gruden (loves ANY QB) said Peterman is, "THE most NFL ready QB I've seen in four years"......Kiper said, "Peterman has the best shot to be the next Tom Brady of 2017 class".....if the guy shows during OTA's and pre-season, no way he can be stashed on PS......Bflo may try until a poacher comes along...then you protect him if worthy by activating him to the 53 and either Yates or TT are out...PS squad void can easily be filled,

I believe Peterman is a place holder, picked to shut off criticism about the QB situation. If he is elevated to the starter's role, it will be strictly because he's "McD's guy" and TT is DW's. I watched nearly every Pitt game last year and there's no way NP is half the QB TT is right now. If McDermott goes with Peterman, it would indicate it's complete rebuild time or that McD is as insane as he looks.

...probably right.....falling to the 5th was a hiccup.....Gruden (loves ANY QB) said Peterman is, "THE most NFL ready QB I've seen in four years"......Kiper said, "Peterman has the best shot to be the next Tom Brady of 2017 class".....if the guy shows during OTA's and pre-season, no way he can be stashed on PS......Bflo may try until a poacher comes along...then you protect him if worthy by activating him to the 53 and either Yates or TT are out...PS squad void can easily be filled,

Gruden and Kiper would not be my go-to authorities on QBs.

I believe Peterman is a place holder, picked to shut off criticism about the QB situation. If he is elevated to the starter's role, it will be strictly because he's "McD's guy" and TT is DW's. I watched nearly every Pitt game last year and there's no way NP is half the QB TT is right now. If McDermott goes with Peterman, it would indicate it's complete rebuild time or that McD is as insane as he looks.

I don't think It's about Peterman being HALF of TT... It's about WHAT HALF... If, by any chance it's the half that can sustain a drive consistently, and punch it in the end zone, then as UGLY as his game may be, it's worth ALOT... You think anyone cares how long Peterman can run around and evade tacklers if the ball is thrown in three seconds to a TE/WR for a 1st down? I hope Nate scares the crap out of the lolly-gagging, wanna-be QB's cluttering out roster... If he does that, and nothing else, I'm ok with the pick...

Edited by #34fan

I think it is much more likely that C. Jones goes to practice squad

I believe Peterman is a place holder, picked to shut off criticism about the QB situation. If he is elevated to the starter's role, it will be strictly because he's "McD's guy" and TT is DW's. I watched nearly every Pitt game last year and there's no way NP is half the QB TT is right now. If McDermott goes with Peterman, it would indicate it's complete rebuild time or< that McD> is as insane as he looks.

LOL...he does have that insane look....

I would be lieing if I wasnt a little bit excited about the reports of Peterman's accuracy and throwing with anticipation

The one thing that worries me about a guy like him....how close is he to his ceiling? I love that he plays behind center because so few of the college qbs do these days......but are we seeing what he is going to be or does he have room to grow?

Still feel TT is the guy till someone comes in and unseats him

Cardale is a better passer... Stronger arm... Quicker release.... Better throwing mechanics.... All Cardale has to do is find a WR and/or TE he's comfortable with, and he'll shine... More, and more I feel like TT's days as a bill are numbered.

He definitely has a better arm and may eventually end up being a better overall passer (the ability is there), but I just don't see a QB ready to start when I watch him play.

I do agree that TT's days are likely numbered, unless he takes a major step forward this year. But I think it's more likely Peterman or even Yates start over Cardale, unless Cardale made some major improvements over the summer. By all accounts he struggled to even run the scout team last season...

I think it's more likely Cardale gets cut or put on the practice squad than it is he starts a game for Buffalo.

Only because I'm curious, who do you do scouting for?

I wasn't aware that I said I was a scout... I am not, just to be clear on that point.

I am just a Bills fan sharing my opinion on a Bills message board. Maybe I should put a disclaimer stating that in my profile? lol

I am by no means an expert, and if I came off that way I apologize.

I have watched all of Cardale's starts in college though. I mean, we're only talking about 11 games here. It's not like the kid has some extensive starting history. I am an Urban Meyer fan anyway, so I usually try to watch most Ohio St games.

And IMO I just don't see a kid ready to start in the NFL, let alone get a team to the playoffs. If you watch his college starts, I honestly don't see how anyone would think he's ready to be an NFL QB.

IMO it's painfully obvious that he's not.

That 3 game championship run in 2014 was a lot of fun to watch (especially that game he came in and threw 3 TD passes), and it was a great story where the 3rd string QB came in and won those 3 big games, but even during that run I thought he struggled, although he did come through in the clutch.

I also watched his first 7 games of the next season, before he was benched for JT Barrett, and while he had flashes, I thought he struggled pretty badly. There were multiple games he didn't throw a single TD pass, and other games where he didn't throw 1 until the 2nd half, or even the 4th quarter. IMO There were a number of games they won in spite of him, not because of him. Ezekiel Elliott and their FG kicker had to carry that offense at times. Personally, I thought Cardale struggled to even run the offense many games. Urban Meyer stuck with him as long as he could, but there was a reason he was benched for a younger player even when they knew Cardale was entering the draft that year. There were plenty of people who didn think he ever earned the starting job to begin with...

I wasn't aware that I said I was a scout... I am not, just to be clear on that point.

I am just a Bills fan sharing my opinion on a Bills message board. Maybe I should put a disclaimer stating that in my profile? lol

Don't apologize for someone else's asshattery.

He definitely has a better arm and may eventually end up being a better overall passer (the ability is there), but I just don't see a QB ready to start when I watch him play.

I do agree that TT's days are likely numbered, unless he takes a major step forward this year. But I think it's more likely Peterman or even Yates start over Cardale, unless Cardale made some major improvements over the summer. By all accounts he struggled to even run the scout team last season...

I think it's more likely Cardale gets cut or put on the practice squad than it is he starts a game for Buffalo.

I have watched all of Cardale's starts in college though. I mean, we're only talking about 11 games here. It's not like the kid has some extensive starting history. I am an Urban Meyer fan anyway, so I usually try to watch most Ohio St games.

And IMO I just don't see a kid ready to start in the NFL, let alone get a team to the playoffs. If you watch his college starts, I honestly don't see how anyone would think he's ready to be an NFL QB.

IMO it's painfully obvious that he's not.

That 3 game championship run in 2014 was a lot of fun to watch (especially that game he came in and threw 3 TD passes), and it was a great story where the 3rd string QB came in and won those 3 big games, but even during that run I thought he struggled, although he did come through in the clutch.

I also watched his first 7 games of the next season, before he was benched for JT Barrett, and while he had flashes, I thought he struggled pretty badly. There were multiple games he didn't throw a single TD pass, and other games where he didn't throw 1 until the 2nd half, or even the 4th quarter. IMO There were a number of games they won in spite of him, not because of him. Ezekiel Elliott and their FG kicker had to carry that offense at times. Personally, I thought Cardale struggled to even run the offense many games. Urban Meyer stuck with him as long as he could, but there was a reason he was benched for a younger player even when they knew Cardale was entering the draft that year. There were plenty of people who didn think he ever earned the starting job to begin with...

First of all...dont respond when people say stupid **** like that...they dont deserve it

Second....everything you say is pretty spot on...its just that C. Jones is very very raw with a ton of physical weapons....and qbs mature at different rates.

He COULD actually develop into something over time....I wouldnt let go of him just yet.

...LMAO...not mine either.......67 QB's in the 2017 draft and Gruden gave EVERY one an A+......Mel is...just Mel....BUT....he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night........

41 pages on a 5th round pick and I'm trying hard?

Okay...

And you've been posting throughout this thread, and it even caused you to start another Taylor thread shortly after the draft. 41 pages in, and you are still dismissing the idea that this kid could eventually unseat Taylor...as if what he has done in his six years in the league is something that cannot be outdone.

You're clearly upset about this pick, and anyone who likes what they see in the kid.

I'm actually becoming worried about what's going to become of you when Taylor doesn't improve and the Bills move on.