Who is going to play WLB for this defense?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Good teams still do it. They draft depth 2 years before a departure and groom them to take over if the guy bolts in FA.

I agree with you. The problem is they gave Rex Ryan the keys to the hen house and overspent on things didn't really benefit. Clay was an overreaction. We should have made the Dolphins overpay for Clay then dump him in their laps.

We will run more 5 DB sets then 3 lb sets

LB is not as important as everyone thinks

Having TWO quality LBs is important. That third one just needs to be serviceable. Nickel and Dime package use will likely be North of 70% this season.

The big question mark is Preston Brown. I was hoping to have him become more of a depth LB this year. The last 2 years he looked lost. His rookie year he looked like a possible star LB.

Maybe McDermott watched 2014 tape and felt comfortable with Brown. Brown hasn't left the field since entering the NFL.

Ragland isn't slow. Faster than Kiko Alonso.

i was going to just kind of breeze right by this...I'm not sure how to prove or disprove this statement. But I would expect you might not find another person on the planet that thinks Ragland is faster then Kiko. I mean, I was going to let it go and just assume it was some sort misunderstanding...but come on. Kiko is one of the fastest LBs in the league

His point is there are players still available ....UDFA and this draft....other ways to acquire more players

so the plan would be to start an UDFA or 4-7 round draft pick and the most important LB spot on the team? That's an interesting take. I mean if we are looking to sign a current street FA, there are almost no quick LBs available. The time to do that has pretty much come and gone. If we are going to trade for one, my guess is they would have done that before the draft. If they are going to wait for a vet cut. I'm not sure a LB that can run and cover is just going to shake loose. The LBs that usually get cut are the old, slow, 2 down ones that won't help us in any way.

i was going to just kind of breeze right by this...I'm not sure how to prove or disprove this statement. But I would expect you might not find another person on the planet that thinks Ragland is faster then Kiko. I mean, I was going to let it go and just assume it was some sort misunderstanding...but come on. Kiko is one of the fastest LBs in the league

so the plan would be to start an UDFA or 4-7 round draft pick and the most important LB spot on the team? That's an interesting take. I mean if we are looking to sign a current street FA, there are almost no quick LBs available. The time to do that has pretty much come and gone. If we are going to trade for one, my guess is they would have done that before the draft. If they are going to wait for a vet cut. I'm not sure a LB that can run and cover is just going to shake loose. The LBs that usually get cut are the old, slow, 2 down ones that won't help us in any way.

Ragland timed faster in the 40. His 10 yard split was faster as well.

People need to understand Ragland played LB around 260lbs at Alabama. He dropped weight and was flying around practice before injury. McDermott has that practice tape.

Looks like they were about the same speed coming out of the draft according to their 40 yard dash times. Reggie ever so slightly faster.

Kiko - 4.74 Pro Day

Ragland - 4.72 Combine

And their 20 and 10 yard measurements were very close also. Basically the guys were as close as you can get in sprinting speed.

I am much more optimistic knowing this. Ragland could be a game changer.

Edited by PolishDave

To this point, I would have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with the offseason. If the 3 guys we have drafted already can come in and give us something...we may only have 1 true "hole" left. The WLB is a very important part of the modern defense. Considering that our base set will most likely be a big, versatile nickle. My guess is we won't have Brown and Ragland as the only 2 LBs on the field. Both guys are probably to slow and certainly having both on the field would cause all sorts of coverage issues. Does the current staff view one of these guys as the Will? Or are they going to actually start Humber? My thoughts all along were that we would play Ragland at MLB, Lorenzo at SLB and draft a kid to play WLB. At this stage of the draft, finding a starter would be unexpected. Is is possible that Humber or Preston Brown can be our WLB for opening day? If that's the case, I am a little concerned about backs sliping out of the backfield and shallow drag routes killing us. I have enjoyed the offseason to this point. I just personally wish we made Zach Brown more of a priority and may have had to sacrifice The Lorax to do so. Maybe I would have been a little quicker to take a LB and lived with our OT situation. Maybe I'm missing something more obvious with the position or maybe these coaches hold Preston Browns athleticism in a slightly higher regard then I do?

It'll probably be Humber vs a 5th round pick vs a June 1st cut.

We still got time, we've filled 3 monster holes thus far and still have 3 more draft picks (5th, 5th, 6th)

The big question mark is Preston Brown. I was hoping to have him become more of a depth LB this year. The last 2 years he looked lost. His rookie year he looked like a possible star LB.

Maybe McDermott watched 2014 tape and felt comfortable with Brown. Brown hasn't left the field since entering the NFL.

No question, I thought for sure he'd start at SAM. He shows monster flashes of being an instinctual player who's great vs the run. He understand pass coverage and positioning, just lacks the athleticism. We've got top notch LB coaches now, if they can't get more out of PB then we've probably seen his best play.

Looks like they were about the same speed coming out of the draft according to their 40 yard dash times. Reggie ever so slightly faster.

Kiko - 4.74 Pro Day

Ragland - 4.72 Combine

I am much more optimistic knowing this.

Interesting, Rags is also MUCH better vs the run than Kiko.

Having TWO quality LBs is important. That third one just needs to be serviceable. Nickel and Dime package use will likely be North of 70% this season.

I agree with that was meaning having a 3rd lb is not as important as people are saying...we need 2 (important) lbs