You tell me - Lattimore or White, 91st pick and 2018 1st?

You are mixing and matching. The Bills board was already close to set up by January 2017. Bills should have brought in a real GM to run the draft.

And let Whaley and/or the scouts sell their info on the Bills boards to any NFL team that paid for it? Or did you want two sets of GM's and scouts employed at once?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'all act like there is no salary cap. As if a team chooses not to pay players because they don't want to spend the money, rather than they don't have the cap room to dedicate all the money to one player. I guess you're all thrilled we're paying Dareus and Clay as much as we are. Should have paid Byrd too.

I'm not saying there is no way the Bills could have made room for Gilmore. And we have no idea if White (or Lattimore) can come in and play as well as Gilmore. However, I'm willing to state that drafting a CB that plays as well as Darby LAST year (not even rookie year) on a rookie contract, plus another first next year with better QB options, plus the ability to gain potential starters at WR and OL from the extra picks received, plus the money left to get other free agents at other positions of need is worth more wins than paying and keeping Gilmore.

To answer the original question, I prefer White over Lattimore even without the extra picks gained. In our division we don't need a tall/lanky CB. We needed one around 5'11-6' who can cover a taller receiver if needed, but can also cover the shorter slot guys because he has agility and not just straight line speed. We need a safety who can help with the tall receivers over the top more than a tall CB who can be a liability against quicker WRs, and one who may have an injury concern.

Very well said. White is probably the better cb for this team, I love his versatility too. Can play inside or out, I keep saying, I'm going to love seeing him and Hyde on the same side of the field. Can get very creative

Remember McKelvin was the best CB coming out of college in 2008, how did that work out for the Bills? I would take White and the picks.

Even better is Gilmore and Claiborne in 2012. Claiborne was being touted as the best cb prospect since Devon Sanders. Gilmore''s stock rose much like White's, trusting the process. Senior Bowl,combine,etc..

I think he can be an upgrade over Gilmore. He was very up and down. White seems to be steady and consistent. Love the story Mayock brought up about him shutting Amari Cooper down ,while every other LSU dB got dominated.

Another factor that should be considered is that White's cap number is much lower than Lattimore's would have been at 10, and his 5th year option will be MUCH cheaper as well.

Great point. By far my favorite 1st Rd selection since Dareus. And to land a CB of his caliber so late , with the picks, it's very Un- Billsy.

I have no idea where this idea came from, that you need to bottom out to properly rebuild and compete in the NFL. This isn't hockey. New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Seattle, KC, Denver, Baltimore... none of these model franchises are good because they bottomed out for a lottery pick. They are good because of good coaching, sustained solid drafting, harmony and longevity in the FO, etc. The only team in the entire league I can think of that is actually a benefitting from a tanked year is Indy.

People have this weird belief that if you lose all your good players you can easily replace them. And that QB is the only thing that matters. The Colts are a perfect model of why tanking doesn't work even when you do it perfectly. There's no excuse for them to not be a playoff team every single year.

Y'all act like there is no salary cap. As if a team chooses not to pay players because they don't want to spend the money, rather than they don't have the cap room to dedicate all the money to one player. I guess you're all thrilled we're paying Dareus and Clay as much as we are. Should have paid Byrd too.

I'm not saying there is no way the Bills could have made room for Gilmore. And we have no idea if White (or Lattimore) can come in and play as well as Gilmore. However, I'm willing to state that drafting a CB that plays as well as Darby LAST year (not even rookie year) on a rookie contract, plus another first next year with better QB options, plus the ability to gain potential starters at WR and OL from the extra picks received, plus the money left to get other free agents at other positions of need is worth more wins than paying and keeping Gilmore.

To answer the original question, I prefer White over Lattimore even without the extra picks gained. In our division we don't need a tall/lanky CB. We needed one around 5'11-6' who can cover a taller receiver if needed, but can also cover the shorter slot guys because he has agility and not just straight line speed. We need a safety who can help with the tall receivers over the top more than a tall CB who can be a liability against quicker WRs, and one who may have an injury concern.

well said

People have this weird belief that if you lose all your good players you can easily replace them. And that QB is the only thing that matters. The Colts are a perfect model of why tanking doesn't work even when you do it perfectly. There's no excuse for them to not be a playoff team every single year.

To be honest Luck's regular season game has not been at a lofty level.

Tre White and the picks!

Tre was a very productive player (47 starts?), LSU captain, etc. Probably a better long term bet than Lattimore anyway.

2018 1st rounder is a fabulous piece of draft ammo.

3rd rounder enabled trade-up for Dawkins.

And Gilmore often sucked at tackling ("don't touch my hair!")

Chiefs have a very difficult schedule this year

And like I said, they lose Charles,Knives Davis,Poe,Jarvis Jenkins and added no FA, besides CJ Spiller . Besides making Eric Berry the highest paid S in the league, they did very little to upgrade the team.

Also they only had 1 pick in the first 3 rds that could come in and start. Obviously Mahomes isn't starting.

So they could very easily have a down year. And we play them so there will be a little extra incentive to get the W.