Video proof GM Doug in charge of answering phones

The trade strategy was worked out in advance. It was a collaboration with McDermott making the final decision. Looking back the qb examination was at the later stages a ruse. It was a show pony charade in which the organization made a decision prior to the draft that they weren't going to use a high pick for a qb in this draft class.

Did Whaley and the scouting department do the grunt work in scouting the prospects? Obviously so. But in my view it was McDermott who made the selections with consultations of course. He was the person pulling the lever. If you look at the players selected all of them fit the squeaky clean profile that the wrestling coach is attracted to. Not one of the players selected was character challenged player or a player who had work ethic questions.

In this class you won't find a lazy and under-achieving prospect like Adolphus Washington or a player with a history of drug use such as Seantrel Henderson or an immature but talented player such as Dareus or a thuggish player such as IK Enemkpali who Rex fawned over after he cold cocked the starting qb in the locker room.

Clearly, Whaley had a more expansive view of who he was willing to consider whereas McDermott has a stricter code of conduct and character test when selecting players who he wants in his locker room. It's obvious to me that McDermott has persuaded the frustrated owner that in the long run his approach will prove to be successful especially in comparison to the prior looser approach that resulted in only continued failure.

Whether Whaley stays or goes (I believe he will be let go or have a diminished role) he will not be empowered as a conventional GM. If he stays he will be basically in charge of the scouting department. Based on actions rather than company platitudes it is obvious to me that McDermott is the new sheriff in town.

What so many here stated that the owner would never travel to see so many qbs in person and we were drafting one of the top qbs.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is clearly something afoot or else why would McDermott not just say "look Doug is our General Manager"?

My personal sense is that Whaley will be retained by the organisation and given a "promotion" which gets him further away from the team building. You can easily envisage a Vice President responsible for the Personnel Department type title where he deals with the administration side of the personnel operation an a new GM is left to focus purely on the player side of the job.

Alternatively he could have been so against Tyrod remaining that he actually said "you know what guys that is not my vision for a team it makes sense we go our own way but I am not going to leave you high and dry 6 weeks before the draft let's get through that and then I will move on." Doug Whaley would walk into a Director of Pro Personnel job in the NFL tomorrow if he was on the market and wanted to work.

With respect to the highlighted segment regarding TT Whaley was absolutely right in his assessment that he is not and never will be a long term franchise qb in this league. Whaley wanted to completely cut the cord. McDermott does agree with Whaley's long term view of the current starting qb. The difference is that while Whaley wanted a complete divorce and start over while McDermott felt that TT could serve as a bridge qb. McDermott was the authority on this issue. So if anyone doesn't believe that McDermott is the boss in the football operation they are not acknowledging the reality of who is making the decisions.

I have had issues with how Whaley has over time performed. His body of work is average to less than average at best. But because of his conclusive negative view on TT I felt that he was ready to finally a decision to use a high pick on one of the top rated qbs with his first pick. That's an approach that I favor. It's my view that McDermott wanted to take a different approach which clearly demonstrates that he is on top of the football flow chart. With his draft day maneuver with KC it appears that McDermott prefers to go shopping for a qb in next year's draft. Which is also an indication that he doesn't have long term plans for TT.

It's apparent to me that Whaley, if he remains, will not have the authority to make the final personnel decisions. There is no conspiracy here or an act of an outsider outflanking him. Whaley lost his authority because of his unimpressive work product over the past few years when he was fully in charge. The GM lost his credibility with the owner because the roster he has assembled simply isn't good enough to compete with the big boys.

The Bills franchise is dis-functional at best since Terry & Kim took over. They change coaches and GM's with the Bills & Sabres like I change my underware. I am emarrased to say I'm a Bills fan right now. We are the laughing stock of the NFL. Who in the right mind would want to work for Terry & Kim at this point. Not very good optics in my opinion.

The Bills franchise is dis-functional at best since Terry & Kim took over. They change coaches and GM's with the Bills & Sabres like I change my underware. I am emarrased to say I'm a Bills fan right now. We are the laughing stock of the NFL. Who in the right mind would want to work for Terry & Kim at this point. Not very good optics in my opinion.

They're actually making it pretty attractive to work for them. Sign a high priced, long term deal then get sent on vacation after 2 years with full pay!

Im saving my breath (typing) until the end of next week, when Doug will still be employed by the Bills.

Some folks just love to eat the crap the dummies at TBN spew, and are convinced a HC who hasnt even coached a down yet is now in charge of everything. It makes no sense, but it gives them a whipping boy in Whaley.

Not worth arguing because there is no changing their minds. Only thing we can do is sit and wait for reality to happen.

Lol

first, i suggest changing your underwear more than once every couple years....

second, this is a results oriented business, win or go home, no feeling sorry for the vanquished, they are very well compensated.

The trade strategy was worked out in advance. It was a collaboration with McDermott making the final decision. Looking back the qb examination was at the later stages a ruse. It was a show pony charade in which the organization made a decision prior to the draft that they weren't going to use a high pick for a qb in this draft class.

Did Whaley and the scouting department do the grunt work in scouting the prospects? Obviously so. But in my view it was McDermott who made the selections with consultations of course. He was the person pulling the lever. If you look at the players selected all of them fit the squeaky clean profile that the wrestling coach is attracted to. Not one of the players selected was character challenged player or a player who had work ethic questions.

In this class you won't find a lazy and under-achieving prospect like Adolphus Washington or a player with a history of drug use such as Seantrel Henderson or an immature but talented player such as Dareus or a thuggish player such as IK Enemkpali who Rex fawned over after he cold cocked the starting qb in the locker room.

Clearly, Whaley had a more expansive view of who he was willing to consider whereas McDermott has a stricter code of conduct and character test when selecting players who he wants in his locker room. It's obvious to me that McDermott has persuaded the frustrated owner that in the long run his approach will prove to be successful especially in comparison to the prior looser approach that resulted in only continued failure.

Whether Whaley stays or goes (I believe he will be let go or have a diminished role) he will not be empowered as a conventional GM. If he stays he will be basically in charge of the scouting department. Based on actions rather than company platitudes it is obvious to me that McDermott is the new sheriff in town.

The trade strategy was worked out in advance ... as one of several possible strategies. Mahomes could have been gone at #10, then it wouldn't have happened. It couldn't possibly have been the only thing they had prepared to do.

No reason to think the QB tour was a ruse. Under the right circumstances, it might have happened. They might have determined that only Trubitsky was worth the #10, for instance, or that they wanted Watson but that getting him would be their third choice, if the KC trade didn't work out and they could trade back somewhere in the #15 area.

There's no way to know.

Ok, but somehow you have "proven" that McDermott is in charge? Because he gets up in front of the cameras? Isn't that the same thing as "making phone calls"?

Either way, I believe it is a collaborative effort between the two guys (as it should be) and all this "This is McDermotts show now" is bull crap.

You think it is necessary to mention that he believes Whaley isn't in charge anymore 6+ times (not including passive aggressively saying "McDermott thought this, and McDermott thought that") in two articles?

The guy is clearly salty. If he wasn't, it would have been mentioned once at the top of the article, and the rest of the article would have been about the draft.

Did I say I had "proven" that McDermott was in charge? Or did I say it was likely? I said it was likely and ... gosh, it turned out it was.

And yeah, he found it necessary within the structure of that article to say those things. They weren't really noticeable to me or to most, since they looked to be probable. Only people who disagreed found them standing out.

He was only reporting on the situation. The salty ones were the people objecting.

Now where are all the mea culpas from those who attacked this article?

@MatthewFairburn

Terry Pegula took issue with the idea that Sean McDermott led the charge in the draft room.

@JaySkurski

Pegula says Doug Whaley "put the draft together." When asked when he made the decision to fire him, he says "we ran our process." #Bills

It's a weird situation. Pegula also said in his press conference that they ran the process and then only made the decision after the draft. So, how come the scouts knew a week in advance that they were getting fired?

Looks like they are running a PR playbook here rather than worry too much about the truth.

As long as they get a good group in charge, it won't matter. But this process is going to be absolutely crucial.

The trade strategy was worked out in advance ... as one of several possible strategies. Mahomes could have been gone at #10, then it wouldn't have happened. It couldn't possibly have been the only thing they had prepared to do.

No reason to think the QB tour was a ruse. Under the right circumstances, it might have happened. They might have determined that only Trubitsky was worth the #10, for instance, or that they wanted Watson but that getting him would be their third choice, if the KC trade didn't work out and they could trade back somewhere in the #15 area.

There's no way to know.

Trubisky was off the board when our turn came up. But both Watson and Mahomes were still available. McDermott who was in control passed on the remaining top two qbs. So what we do know for sure is that the wrestling coach didn't want either of the two qbs because he had the opportunity to select one of them. Was Trubisky their preferred qb? I can't say for sure but my feeling is that McDermott made the decision that he wasn't going to use a first round pick on a qb. So he got the best deal he could for his draft position.

I don't know how much credibility to give SalCapaccio of WRG but he stated that he believed that McDermott rated next year's qb class as higher than this one so he felt that McDermott was positioning himself with the added first round pick to be in a good position for one of the qbs in next year's class. If Peterson shows potential the draft strategy may change. Only time will tell.

Trubisky was off the board when our turn came up. But both Watson and Mahomes were still available. McDermott who was in control passed on the remaining top two qbs. So what we do know for sure is that the wrestling coach didn't want either of the two qbs because he had the opportunity to select one of them. Was Trubisky their preferred qb? I can't say for sure but my feeling is that McDermott made the decision that he wasn't going to use a first round pick on a qb. So he got the best deal he could for his draft position.

I don't know how much credibility to give SalCapaccio of WRG but he stated that he believed that McDermott rated next year's qb class as higher than this one so he felt that McDermott was positioning himself with the added first round pick to be in a good position for one of the qbs in next year's class. If Peterson shows potential the draft strategy may change. Only time will tell.

Let's just say that Sean didn't want to draft a QB. It doesn't mean the Bills scouts and player personnel department who did the homework on the QB's agreed.

Let's just say that Sean didn't want to draft a QB. It doesn't mean the Bills scouts and player personnel department who did the homework on the QB's agreed.

I strongly believe that if Whaley was running the shop he would have drafted either Watson or Mahomes in the ten spot. The reality was that Whaley was working for McDermott and not the other way around. The irony is that Whaley was good at accommodating the coaches he worked under as this draft demonstrated. (There is a Marrone exception.)