Coaches draft comments

I'm sure Whaley and McDermott agreed on this one, and that McDermott asked for a CB. That said, this pick seems to have Whaley's fingerprints all over it. Proven, experienced, versatile defensive player from a big SEC program, of which the defensive backfield produced a top 10 talent. This is literally how we draft every year. We take chances on extremely talented, raw guys, or we take guys from solid programs on their side of the ball, and more than once it's been someone who's been overshadowed by another pick in the same draft.

Edited by BringBackFlutie

I'm sure Whaley and McDermott agreed on this one, and that McDermott asked for a CB. That said, this pick seems to have Whaley's fingerprints all over it. Proven, experienced, versatile defensive player from a big SEC program, of which the defensive backfield produced a top 10 talent. This is literally how we draft every year. We take chances on extremely talented, raw guys, or we take guys from solid programs on their side of the ball, and more than once it's been someone who's been overshadowed by another pick in the same draft.

agreed that a senior from the SEC sounds like a whaley move still (really like a nix one even more, but they were attached at the hip for several years so it makes sense they would share that).

that said, an SEC senior sounds like a just about any GM move to a degree too!

McDermott did credit Whaley and his staff for helping to orchestrate the Bills' blockbuster trade, but it was also clear McDermott was the one calling the shots. When asked whether the Bills considered trading down again at 27, McDermott spoke in the first person.

"Yeah, we looked at a couple things," McDermott said. "I didn't feel or we didn't feel like it was right at this time. We looked at a couple of situations that were on the table as well at 27. We had a chance to get a good solid football player and I wasn't passing that up."

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/04/nfl_draft_2017_what_buffalo_bills_sean_mcdermott_said_about_doug_whaleys_status.html

Remember last year when Shaq and Ragland were picked and it 'was clear' Rex was calling the shots?

Remember last year when Shaq and Ragland were picked and it 'was clear' Rex was calling the shots?

whats been tricky in part is that we dont have an indication that whaley has had much power anywhere. if he isnt picking the coaches, and he is just stocking the pantry per there orders... hes not done a terrible job grabbing good players at good value points. i cant hold ragland against him and part of why shaq was there was the known risk getting us a discount on him.

whats been tricky in part is that we dont have an indication that whaley has had much power anywhere. if he isnt picking the coaches, and he is just stocking the pantry per there orders... hes not done a terrible job grabbing good players at good value points. i cant hold ragland against him and part of why shaq was there was the known risk getting us a discount on him.

I'm convinced this is how the NFL needs to work. Coaches have schemes and systems that dictate 'fits'. I.e. Long quick defensive ends vs edge setters.

These pro players are all so close to each other in ability that they only differentiate in the details. Only a couple guys will be great no matter how you use them. Many can be marginal in one scheme and stars in another. Of course the coach should always tweak based on what they've actually got but the system manages 11 people simultaneously.

I believe coaches need to know what to ask for, how to ask for it, and scouts need to appraise the thousands of potential players out there to rank them in the parameters that matter within the given scheme.

This then becomes the input for decision making.

I'm convinced this is how the NFL needs to work. Coaches have schemes and systems that dictate 'fits'. I.e. Long quick defensive ends vs edge setters.

These pro players are all so close to each other in ability that they only differentiate in the details. Only a couple guys will be great no matter how you use them. Many can be marginal in one scheme and stars in another. Of course the coach should always tweak based on what they've actually got but the system manages 11 people simultaneously.

I believe coaches need to know what to ask for, how to ask for it, and scouts need to appraise the thousands of potential players out there to rank them in the parameters that matter within the given scheme.

This then becomes the input for decision making.

i dont totally disagree, but stocking the shelf for very scheme specific guys for a coach on a short leash kind of hurts us long term unless you have someone above setting the long term vision. (not saying McD is on any leash, just talking broad strokes on the concept)

a coach is also very WIN NOW, and you need someone else to protect the future and maximize talent/resources long term.

Yeah, people are ignoring a lot of information in regards to Whaley's job security rumors. It will be really interesting to see what happens and then evaluate what was said beforehand.

They always say that they discuss these decisions as a team, so it's likely that McDermott thought this and then the team agreed, hence the "I, then we" slip-up.

It's virtually impossible to deduce anything from the snippets of information gleaned from reporting or speculation. Whaley has been gone 43 times in the last couple years for 18 different reasons. That's not to say people don't have inside sources, but "I" v "We" could be due to something as simple as his tendencies when he speaks. Or it could be a sign. Or there might have been a draft-by-committee with a split decision, and dw suggesting "It's your job to make this team successful, so your call.".

Whatever, we took who we took, and did what we did. Next.

they must have had serious concerns about foster's health and getting neck stingers and such.