Hogan and Gilly Prove Bills Scouting Superiority

In November 2012 Hogan was cut by the Dolphins, Bills pick him up for free in October on a modest contract he contributes although minimally for years here and leaves. The Pats pay an average of 4 million per year for the guy we got for a minimum contract yet Whaley is a moron Hoodie is a genius. In September 2015 Dolphins release Mike Gillislee, Bills pick him up for absolutely nothing get a few years of production and a bunch of touchdowns. He leaves with a replacement already in place. Pats give us a 5th round pick in a crazy deep draft and pay him ten times what we did, Whaley is an idiot Belichick is the second coming. In 2012 The Bills draft S. Gilmore at 10 give him a 4 year 12 million dollar contract. He's a good player that no one would confuse with Richard Sherman, Patrick Peterson, or Revis (maybe now but not in his prime). From 2012-2016 Pats draft 8 DBs, not one of them got anything close to a 5 year 65 million dollar contract but someone did, yup Stephon Gilmore draftee of the "worst GM in the league". Whaley may not be the fav of local media (which I assume is due to the fact that he has something to do with crushing their former sources) or some percentage of fans, but he clearly has some major admirers in New England, and in the front offices of many other NFL teams I'd bet. Be careful what you wish for Bills fans, Whaley is by far the best GM that's been here since Bill Polian and this may be the year he proves to be in the upper 20% if we get 2 or 3 contributors in this draft which is very realistic.

Edited by Madd Charlie

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is the best GM at finding waiver wire and low budget FA's and honestly I don't even think it's close...look at all the productive players we have gotten via that route since he has been here...

Was thinking about this last night....

for all of the tar and feather posts....you actually have to be able to FIND the talent nobody else wants in order for other teams to come calling poaching them.

What is their player development and retention strategy?

What is the patriots player development and retention strategy?

In November 2012 Hogan was cut by the Dolphins, Bills pick him up for free in October on a modest contract he contributes although minimally for years here leaves and the Pats pay an average of 4 million per year for him. Whaley is a moron Hoodie is a genius. In September 2015 Dolphins release Mike Gillislee, Bills pick him up for absolutely nothing get a few years of production and a bunch of touchdowns. He leaves with a replacement already in place. Pats give us a 5th round pick in a crazy deep draft and pay him ten times what we did, Whaley is an idiot Belichick is the second coming. In 2012 The Bills draft S. Gilmore at 10 give him a 4 year 12 million dollar contract. He's a good player that no one would confuse with Richard Sherman, Patrick Peterson, or Revis (maybe now but not in his prime). From 2012-2016 Pats draft 8 DBs, not one of them got anything close to a 5 year 65 million dollar contract but someone did, yup Stephon Gilmore draftee of the "worst GM in the league". Whaley may not be the fav of local media (which I assume is due to the fact that he has something to do with crushing their former sources) or some percentage of fans, but he clearly has some major admirers in New England, and in the front offices of many other NFL teams I'd bet. Be careful what you wish for Bills fans, Whaley is by far the best GM that's been here since Bill Polian and this may be the year he proves to be in the upper 20% if we get 2 or 3 contributors in this draft which is very realistic.

NE hasn't drafted well in forever.

But when you have a good team and are winning........you have less opportunity to draft elite talents early and find and develop "diamonds in the rough"off of the waiver wire......first, because you draft later and second because because you don't get first dibs on players who get released.

TJ Graham/Russell Wilson. EJ.

Also, guys like Gilmore getting big(ger) money on second contracts is what the NFL is all about. MG and Hogan got money commensurate with their value.

Jon Williams may be MG's roster "replacement", but there is significant doubt he can replace MG's production, which just walked out the door. I bet BB is pretty pleased for what he got from Hogan last year for a few million.

for all of the tar and feather posts....you actually have to be able to FIND the talent nobody else wants in order for other teams to come calling poaching them.

Everyone gets a ring...

Edited by Mr. WEO

Also, guys like Gilmore getting big(ger) money on second contracts are what the NFL is all about. MG got money commensurate with their value.

Jon Williams may be MG's roster "replacement", but there is significant doubt he can replace MG's production, which just walked out the door. I bet BB is pretty pleased for what he got from Hogan last year for a few million.

Everyone get a ring...

I dont know Weo.....we were saying much of the same thing at this time last year with Karlos Williams

I happen to like Jon Williams......he was coming off an injury that it takes over a year to come back from.....he looked great in college.....had some moments last year.

Also, guys like Gilmore getting big(ger) money on second contracts is what the NFL is all about. MG and Hogan got money commensurate with their value.

Everyone gets a ring...

Is BB happy with what he got for the money he gave to Hogan? Id expect more than less than 40 catches and 4 TDs personally

I dont know Weo.....we were saying much of the same thing at this time last year with Karlos Williams

I happen to like Jon Williams......he was coming off an injury that it takes over a year to come back from.....he looked great in college.....had some moments last year.

JW is a proven F-up so far in the NFL. He may be as good as MG or he may not. But MG was not an unknown and his 4 million was meaningless to the cap for the Bills.

Is BB happy with what he got for the money he gave to Hogan? Id expect more than less than 40 catches and 4 TDs personally

I'm sure during the playoffs he was quite happy.

But yet the bills are no better than the day whaley was promoted. You don't let production like MG walk for that salary. Same with Hogan. There is no vision by whaley. You keep Hogan let woods walk. not bad. You keep MG, knowing that when hes been in theres been no drop between him and McCoy. Its always 1 step forward and 3 steps back with this team. If people think a RB with fumbling issues, that looked below average last year is going to fill MG shoes your mistaken. Not to mention McCoy is pushing 30, and who knows when father time will hit him.

JW is a proven F-up so far in the NFL. He may be as good as MG or he may not. But MG was not an unknown and his 4 million was meaningless to the cap for the Bills.

I'm sure during the playoffs he was quite happy.

One game against Pitt and all the sudden Hogan was worth grossly over paying for? lol

Draft smart, versatile players who love the game and are not scheme-dependent. Put them in a position to excel by emphasizing their strengths and scheming around their weaknesses. Keep the scheme on defense simple. Invest more heavily in undervalued positions/schemes. Collect cheap assets through the draft and trade all but the most valuable core of them for younger assets (picks) when their price tags exceed reasonable replacement value, i.e., when it's time for their second contract.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Draft smart, versatile players who love the game and are not scheme-dependent. Put them in a position to excel by emphasizing their strengths and scheming around their weaknesses. Invest more heavily in undervalued positions/schemes. Collect cheap assets through the draft and trade them for younger assets (picks) when their price tags exceed reasonable replacement value.

That's a fancy way of saying they whiff a lot.

That's a fancy way of saying they whiff a lot.

They accumulate draft picks and make strategic draft gambles on certain positions, because they can afford to. Do you actually watch football or do you sit there watching the other fans?

Edited by Coach Tuesday

They accumulate draft picks and make strategic draft gambles on certain positions, because they can afford to. Do you actually watch football or do you sit there watching the other fans?

Right. Because of one player.

In November 2012 Hogan was cut by the Dolphins, Bills pick him up for free in October on a modest contract he contributes although minimally for years here and leaves. The Pats pay an average of 4 million per year for the guy we got for a minimum contract yet Whaley is a moron Hoodie is a genius. In September 2015 Dolphins release Mike Gillislee, Bills pick him up for absolutely nothing get a few years of production and a bunch of touchdowns. He leaves with a replacement already in place. Pats give us a 5th round pick in a crazy deep draft and pay him ten times what we did, Whaley is an idiot Belichick is the second coming. In 2012 The Bills draft S. Gilmore at 10 give him a 4 year 12 million dollar contract. He's a good player that no one would confuse with Richard Sherman, Patrick Peterson, or Revis (maybe now but not in his prime). From 2012-2016 Pats draft 8 DBs, not one of them got anything close to a 5 year 65 million dollar contract but someone did, yup Stephon Gilmore draftee of the "worst GM in the league". Whaley may not be the fav of local media (which I assume is due to the fact that he has something to do with crushing their former sources) or some percentage of fans, but he clearly has some major admirers in New England, and in the front offices of many other NFL teams I'd bet. Be careful what you wish for Bills fans, Whaley is by far the best GM that's been here since Bill Polian and this may be the year he proves to be in the upper 20% if we get 2 or 3 contributors in this draft which is very realistic.

Strong post

Everyone gets a ring...

but not because of their player development and retention strategy

Retain Tom Brady