TD is definitely a frustrating guy

Rubes

Teflon Tom. I'm sure he'll avoid any kind of ill will this year with a quick "Well JP's virtually a rookie" argument.

258236[/snapback]

Joe I couldn't disagree with you more

Choosing JP over Drew DOES NOT and WILL NOT buy TD another year. Hopefully, we will never find out if I am right (which would mean JP performs as good or better than Drew in 2005).

TD has made a lot of enemies in WNY - most notably J Sullivan. Your "teflon" comment sounds to me like you are of the opinion that TD never get fairly criticized.

Sullivans personal email to me last year - filled with expletives - DID make me lean more towards the "maybe TD is being unfairly criticized at times" camp BUT my one and only motive/goal is for the Bills to win a Super Bowl. TD gets no slack from me on that.

Therefore, my critique of TD to date is : The jury us Still Out

But, he has CLEARLY made some very good moves. He has also made some mistakes but before you (or anyone else) retrospectively declares a TD move a "miss" versus a "hit", be fair and look at his hits too AND look at what the general expectations were of the the player in question at the time the move was made (Drew being the big one of course).

Lasst year, the Defense was #2 and the ST were number 1. The coaching staff was MUCH improved and shoould be even better this year. Also, I think the Drew release was MULARKEY'S decision not Donahoes! The fact that both TD and Ralph went along does suggest, at the very least, that they were in agreement or were leaning that way anyway but - and Greg Williams is the perfect example - I think TD allows the Head Coach a considerable amount of decisionmaking power when it comes to keeping or releasing players. GW stunk but TD stuck by him. To his detriment obviously. GW was a mistake. Big Time.

I like Muklarkey a lot and this gives me hope that he (and Wyche and Clements) TRULY think JP will be better in 2005 than Drew would have been.

This bring me back to my first comment. Let's both hope JP never makes us call for TD's firing.

Go Bills!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This bring me back to my first comment. Let's both hope JP never makes us call for TD's firing.

Go Bills!

258259[/snapback]

I'm with you there. But just about any other GM would have been roasted on a spit over an open flame for allowing GW to stick around and not addressing a woeful OL.

I'm actually behind TD MORE than I used to be, as a matter of fact. It's just I'm unwilling to let him go unchallenged for what he's screwed up here.

Next year is going to be an abortion with all the FA we have coming up.

?

Why would Jerry Sullivan send you a personal email filled with expletives ?? I'm curious to hear more about that exchange.

258401[/snapback]

I sent him an email POLITELY disagreeing with him about his (then recent) assessment of TD and I also stated I thought his comments were sounding more personal than they were professional.

I outlined the good (and the bad) IMO of TD's tenure to date and I suggested he do the same thing and consider perhaps atleast granting that TD had done some good for the team etc etc

His response was that TD was bleep bleep bleep and would always be a bleep bleep bleep etc etc

Let's just say that JS' reposnse didn't change my opinion that JS was writing more on some slight he felt rather than objectively evaluating the topic at hand.

I don't read JS' artciles anymore.

why bother?

Next year is going to be an abortion with all the FA we have coming up.

258267[/snapback]

This comment alone might explain the reason why TD hasn't overspent for either JJ or PW. I'm pretty sure that TD looks at the big picture rather than one free agency period at a time. He knows that the Bills have some issues to address concerning some players for next year and doesn't want to overspend on contracts for free agents this year that will directly affect next years cap number. As has been said in a lot of posts, TD is probably waiting to see what the fair market value is for both JJ and PW, more so PW though, so he can give him a fair contract without killing any chance of keeping someone like NC next year. Even with 8-9 million dollars in cap room this year, the Bills still need to look into the future when offering contracts because of the cap hit that will be suffered for the remaining years on any contract. I'm not trying to defend TD here but just pointing out the fact that you can't look at just one season anymore when dealing with free agency. There are reprecussions down the road on any contract signed, which should be noted by EM's contract a couple years ago which directly affected this years cap number.

i think the disrespect he's shown PW and JJ have burned bridges here......and i'm sure it has not gone unnoticed by other players on the roster........the fact he stated he wanted them both back then never even made an effort makes him look like a hypocrite........

TD has been burning bridges since Steve Christie and Ted Washington. Remember the ways Henry Jones and John Holocek were treated. Our organization used to be first class, now its cutthroat. Great.

i know it is very unpopular to take shots at TD on this board, but i do not like his style when it comes to dealing with his own impending free agents........i think he made a mistake by not attempting to sign either guy........

I'll take shots at him all day long. 5 years, Mr. Smug, no playoffs. The record speaks for itself, or in legal terms "res ipsa." Now we have a rookie QB, no run stuffing DT and no LT. A below average LG and no healthy TE. Can you say rebuilding once again TD??? You failed for 5 years now, whats this years excuse gonna be??

Year 1 - Salary Cap Hell

Year 2 - Blame the Defense

Year 3 - Blame GW and Killdrive

Year 4 - Blame the Offense

Year 5 - Maybe its time to Blame the GM who put this whole damn thing together!!

His response was that TD was bleep bleep bleep and would always be a bleep  bleep bleep etc etc

Let's just say that JS' reposnse didn't change my opinion that JS was writing more on some slight he felt rather than objectively evaluating the topic at hand.

I don't read JS' artciles anymore.

why bother?

258411[/snapback]

That's the impression I have of him from reading his articles.

I don't know what TD's plans are for this team, and probably nobody in the media does, either.

258097[/snapback]

I don't think any good GM is going to go to the Press and announce what his

intentions in FA are. The ones that play things close to their chest have

the best chance of landing the right ones.

TD is trying to keep the Bills in a cap-freindly position every season. Breaking the bank on two good, but not franchise, players is just plain dumb! It hurts to see JJ and PW leaving, especially Jennings. But you have to figure that TD has players targeted, either in FA or the draft, to step in.

Think we have it bad? Check out the Pats moves...they dropped Troy Brown, Ty Law, Roman Pfiffer, Joe Andruzzi...those are some pretty talented players. But no one in Patriots Nation is losing sleep because they believe Bill Bellichick can coach a Pop Warner team to the Super Bowl.

PTR

Think we have it bad?  Check out the Pats moves...they dropped Troy Brown, Ty Law, Roman Pfiffer, Joe Andruzzi...those are some pretty talented players.  But no one in Patriots Nation is losing sleep because they believe Bill Bellichick can coach a Pop Warner team to the Super Bowl.

258490[/snapback]

Because he can.

He's a frustrating guy, though.

I don't know what TD's plans are for this team, and probably nobody in the media does, either. If he wants to go another direction with regard to LT and DT, that's his call. But why hint to everyone that we "may not be able to keep them" and then, apparently, not even give it a try?

Personally i dont care for TD never have, but in essesence he has taken us spoiled fans into the salary cap age. We cant think of how much one player means to us by how much we are willing to outspend another team. (hes mapping the CHampions success formula) No, we have to considered what siging this player is going to affect the future years of this club and those players that are going to become free agents. If you guys read an article earlier in February we have a ton of Defensive free agents coming up in 2006. Boy if we are crying now over Jennings(who i wouldnt resign either) and Williams wait till we feel the agony then. In my opinion I would love to have Pat back, But he is 32 years old how many years does he want and how many can he truly play? The pats replaced big ted with a rookie and they were still Champs. Essentially because a player is not big name doesnt mean he isnt a good player. Pat didnt even get his name until Big Ted left. We are trying to get younger while building a consitent winning team for years to come like he did in Pitt, so I can respect it. Think of a few players who we were like damn this sucks ex. Our FB who exploded to one of the top FB in the leaugue. How many people are lauging at TD now since he drafted Mcgahee in the first round and sat out a year. He wasnt stupid for acquiring Drew he knew he needed to sell seats and attract Free agents so that number 1 pick was well worth it( thanks for Malloy and Spikes). I also think Losman(please dont let me down) is the QB we have been waiting for. I had him picked for our draft but i had him picked before the WR and TD got us the fast reciever and the QB so lets trust his instincts untill he completly flops. The only reason we didnt make the playoffs last year with our ROOKIE Head coach was the VETERAN Drew Bledsoe.

TD has been burning bridges since Steve Christie and Ted Washington.  Remember the ways Henry Jones and John Holocek were treated.  Our organization used to be first class, now its cutthroat.  Great.

I'll take shots at him all day long.  5 years, Mr. Smug, no playoffs.  The record speaks for itself, or in legal terms "res ipsa."  Now we have a rookie QB, no run stuffing DT and no LT.  A below average LG and no healthy TE.  Can you say rebuilding once again TD???  You failed for 5 years now, whats this years excuse gonna be??

Year 1 - Salary Cap Hell

Year 5 - Maybe its time to Blame the GM who put this whole damn thing together!!

258442[/snapback]

THERE we go, just when you thought the spirit of the weathervane was dead....

Quick, give me a list of any and all UFA of the Bills in the three years he has been here that TD didn't resign and should have. There must be dozens. Or tens. Or, well, there must be several. Four at least. Two for sure. Okay, so there must be one.

258247[/snapback]

This is Groundhog Day, same people freakout every time. Judge a GM/coach by wins and losses. There are only 5 people in the world who know the Bills strategy for next season and maybe 7 people know what really transpires between players and management.

Besides our "cap hell" year (when Bills had no money), all I know is we haven't signed many terrible FA lately. It's amazing to me how many people freakout but can't name a single player TD/Bills have "missed."

How many can name a single player TD/Bills have really scewed up and should have signed? Winfield? Wiley? Peerless Price? Sam Cowart? How about ANY FA on any team?

Hard to even make the argument the Bills "overpaid" for Bledsoe -- hell the ticket sales alone (and keeping Bills in Buffalo) were more than worth the investment.

You can even say Bledsoe's presence helped make Peerless a 1st Round Pick, Moulds decided to stay, induced Spikes/Adams/Milloy to sign and we indirectly got the "future" in Losman and McGahee.

The biggest bunch of wusses. I thought Bills fans were knowledgable about off-season football strategy and won't go bezerk before the first day of FA is over, let alone the first day of camp or the first quarter of the season.

I think y'all are basically missing the point about my post.

I'm not criticizing the moves to let JJ and PW go. Although I prefer to see the team kept intact, I also agree that we shouldn't destroy the cap in doing so. TD has his reasons for letting those players go, no doubt about that, and I don't entirely disagree with it.

I was just commenting that it can sometimes be frustrating with TD since it seems like we never really know what's going on. The answer is always "he has his reasons." Of course he doesn't have to tell us anything, nor would I expect him to.

THERE we go, just when you thought the spirit of the weathervane was dead....
\

weathervane??? I truly hope you don't mean that I flip-flop with regards to TD. You are welcome to search any of my past posts. My opinion of him has remined consistent.

have you even taken a look at our cap situation for next year? we cannot be anywhere near the cap if we are going to resign- clements, fletcher, adams, milloy

258657[/snapback]

for the millioneth time, fletch, adams, and milloy are all signed through 2006......

have you even taken a look at our cap situation for next year? we cannot be anywhere near the cap if we are going to resign- clements, fletcher, adams, milloy

258657[/snapback]

who are you asking?

I hear where you're coming from...But I think TD believes he's said enough...I mean, maybe it's just me, but this Off Season start seemed pretty obvious. TD has made it clear The Bills would love to have Jennings and Williams back but he's also made it pretty clear The Bills can't afford either if they are after "Market Value." There's really not much to say. Both UFA's are likely to get a lot more than The Bills could afford. It's pretty much that simple...It's common practice for GM's to be tight lipped...I mean granted TD does not say much, but he did not write the book on the manner either...

I would love to hear TD lay the whole Off Season Plan out, but that's just not his way...I imagine he feels that's best for the Plan overall, and I don't necessarily disagree...I guess... :)

258115[/snapback]

I think Mike Williams was a BIG mistake, and we will be paying for it for

several years. That is stupid money for a right tackle. :)

TD has been burning bridges since Steve Christie and Ted Washington.  Remember the ways Henry Jones and John Holocek were treated.  Our organization used to be first class, now its cutthroat.  Great.

I'll take shots at him all day long.  5 years, Mr. Smug, no playoffs.  The record speaks for itself, or in legal terms "res ipsa."  Now we have a rookie QB, no run stuffing DT and no LT.  A below average LG and no healthy TE.  Can you say rebuilding once again TD???  You failed for 5 years now, whats this years excuse gonna be??

Year 1 - Salary Cap Hell

258442[/snapback]

Nobody seems to want to hear this. I think TD is always selling NEXT season,

which never seems to come.

This years excuse will be rookie QB.