Davis Webb Air Raid offense knock unfair? link to article

Bocephuz

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how-davis-webb-has-become-the-most-intriguing-qb-prospect-in-the-nfl-draft/

Admittedly... I have been a Davis Webb fan since a few weeks before the Senior Bowl when I started watching youtube of the QB prospects. He excited me most out of all the guys as having the highest ceiling ( Kizer being a close second).

(I did my own chart based on watching 3 games a piece for the various qbs.. see below)

HDeE5JA.png

This article touches on several of the things that were very obvious positive traits that I saw.. namely

+ ARM STRENGTH
AGGRESSIVE APPROACH.. CONSISTENTLY LOOKS TO GO DEEP FIRST
THROWS INTO TIGHT WINDOWS

One of the biggest knocks you hear is " Great Arm but Air Raid QBs don't translate to the NFL". This article challenges that notion ...

• coach's son,
  • has his own playbook he's developed over the years for future coaching gig, r
  • ran Friday team offensive meetings instead of the coach

After reading this article I think the Air Raid knock on him is short-sided and is likely not a well informed criticism.

The biggest thing he is behind on is taking drops and developing good footwork from under center as he was exclusively shotgun. If he can overcome this I think he will be the best QB of this class when the smoke clears.

Thoughts?

Edited by Bocephuz

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how-davis-webb-has-become-the-most-intriguing-qb-prospect-in-the-nfl-draft/

Admittedly... I have been a Davis Webb fan since a few weeks before the Senior Bowl when I started watching youtube of the QB prospects this year.

This article touches on several of the things that were very obvious positive traits that I saw.. namely

+ ARM STRENGTH

AGGRESSIVE APPROACH.. CONSISTENTLY LOOKS TO GO DEEP FIRST

THROWS INTO TIGHT WINDOWS

One of the biggest knocks you hear is " Great Arm but Air Raid QBs don't translate to the NFL". This article challenges that notion ...

• coach's son,
  • has his own playbook he's developed over the years for future coaching gig, r
  • ran Friday team offensive meetings instead of the coach

After reading this article I think the Air Raid knock on him is short-sided and is likely not a well informed criticism.

The biggest thing he is behind on is taking drops and developing good footwork from under center as he was exclusively shotgun. If he can overcome this I think he will be the best QB of this class when the smoke clears.

Thoughts?

The Air Raid stuff is just lazy. The college scheme becomes an excuse not to scout the traits.

As for best in the class? No. I liked Webb as a later round guy but when I saw him flying up the board I wouldn't use a 1st or 2nd on him. Depends on value, I would have considered it 3rd or 4th round.

This year might end up being really intersting

I could totally see the bills going D player at 10 or trading down...picking up an additional 2nd....and picking a player like Webb

or....we could draft a qb at 10.....

guess we will see soon

I think he'll likely be gone by the time our 2nd round pick comes up. I'd love to see us trade down from #10 down to somewhere in the 20's which would be the perfect spot to grab him.

I don't know if he'll be able to immediately win the starting job but I think he'd definitely be ready after a year on the bench.

The Air Raid stuff is just lazy. The college scheme becomes an excuse not to scout the traits.

As for best in the class? No. I liked Webb as a later round guy but when I saw him flying up the board I wouldn't use a 1st or 2nd on him. Depends on value, I would have considered it 3rd or 4th round.

His traits are still heavily scouted. That's why he's still considered a potential first rounder.

I'm not saying the Air Raid offense is legit.

My point is that if you read the article it points out that he's passionate about learning and his football acumen already seems very developed. In other words.. given a reasonable amount of time he seems to have the capacity to learn if not master an NFL offense.

I think he'll likely be gone by the time our 2nd round pick comes up. I'd love to see us trade down from #10 down to somewhere in the 20's which would be the perfect spot to grab him.

I don't know if he'll be able to immediately win the starting job but I think he'd definitely be ready after a year on the bench.

Do you still believe that Deshaun Watson has a stronger arm than Patrick Mahomes?

Webb is a 4th/5th Round prospect. He might go as high as 3 but to me that's a reach.

....sound like you and Webb have a "slight (COUGH)" disagreement...........

Webb held his pro day workout on Friday and said after it was over that he’s gotten a lot of positive feedback during his conversations with teams.

“I’ve talked to a lot of NFL people,” Webb said, via ESPN.com. “And double-digit teams have told me I’m a first-round guy. Every meeting I’ve had, they’ve said I’m one of the best quarterbacks on the board.”

Do you still believe that Deshaun Watson has a stronger arm than Patrick Mahomes?

In the 3 games I watched from Mahomes I didn't see any throws that lead me to believe his arm clearly was head and shoulders above the other guys. I saw him throwing off balance and on the run a lot.. so in that aspect..being able to throw from awkward positions yes he has arm talent. It's very possible that he showed that plus plus arm off in the games I didn't see.

There were multiple throws I saw from Webb where he was "throwing darts" 20 - 30 yards down the field.

In the 3 games I watched with Watson I saw a fair amount of zip and did not get the impression that he has a "weak" arm.

Edited by Bocephuz

I would totally take him in the 3rd round......would be great in a trade down scenario

I rank Webb in the 3rd tier of QBs in they all have upsides but question marks. The more I watch the NFL the more I feel QBs are more about processing information than arm strength. I'm probably wrong but Nathan Peterman feels like the QB that's going to breakout as he developed at Tennessee and had two solid years at Pitt and when watched his performance against Clemson was impressed that seemingly was hitting guys open all the time. I know his arm strength is far from great but think it's good enough.

I rank Webb in the 3rd tier of QBs in they all have upsides but question marks. The more I watch the NFL the more I feel QBs are more about processing information than arm strength. I'm probably wrong but Nathan Peterman feels like the QB that's going to breakout as he developed at Tennessee and had two solid years at Pitt and when watched his performance against Clemson was impressed that seemingly was hitting guys open all the time. I know his arm strength is far from great but think it's good enough.

......PRECISELY IT.....it is a gray matter issue of processing the entire field in the time allocated, probably 5 seconds....mechanics ala footwork, release, etc are all (HOPEFULLY) trainable physicalities...so how do you re-train the brain or speed it up?.....Steve Young said it best, "MORE collegiate QB's fail at this level than succeed because of the SPEED and COMPLEXITY of the game at the NFL level".....complexity teachable?..I think so...adapting to the speed mentally?...stay tuned........

......PRECISELY IT.....it is a gray matter issue of processing the entire field in the time allocated, probably 5 seconds....mechanics ala footwork, release, etc are all (HOPEFULLY) trainable physicalities...so how do you re-train the brain or speed it up?.....Steve Young said it best, "MORE collegiate QB's fail at this level than succeed because of the SPEED and COMPLEXITY of the game at the NFL level".....complexity teachable?..I think so...adapting to the speed mentally?...stay tuned........

More like 2.5-4 depending on whether the QB can buy time or not.

Study's from 4 years ago, but here's a link to a table of times to throw and times to sack.

I think he's punished more by Goff flopping vs anything else. Had Goff come in and run with the job, I think you'd be seeing the opposite happen with Webb and his stock would likely be higher.

Yep, Guilt by association. Rate the guy, now how someone from the same system did last year.

I can't argue with that. Remember we are going to a WCO you don't need the biggest gun in the NFL. Peyton Manning, Brady both had "weak Arms" coming out of college.