Todd Heap accidentally kills 3 year old daughter.

Yo no se

I live in fear of this sort of thing, to the point that I walk around the car and check the near surroundings for kids and make sure I know exactly where everything and every one is before I get in the car and start it. And I don't even have kids.

I'm almost paranoid about it. To the point that, if I see a kid before I get in the car, but then can't see the kid after, I will get back out of the car and check behind to make sure they didn't get behind me when I wasn't looking. It's just such an awful thing, and so damned easy to happen.

I used to do the same thing when my kids were small. When I am home now I still sometimes do this.

There is an issue in parking lots. I am very paranoid about backing up in parking lots. A few years ago, as I was putting the groceries in the trunk, I saw a lady pull in a couple of of slots over. When I got in the car I was glanced in the side mirror and I could see one of her kids run behind me. Other than that I would have never known he was there. I waited for her to eventually walk by and go into the store. Now if anyone is pulling in, with or without kids I tend to wait until I know they are gone. Probably still not enough. I should probably do the same as you and just get out and check.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back about 20 or 25 years ago a guy I grew up with was a truck driver for his own business. He was leaving for a delivery with the truck and one of his 3 boys was in back of the truck he hit him and killed him. He tells me that if it wasn't for the LORD he would of killed himself. He is now a pastor and has never gotten over it completely. So I am praying for Todd and his family, I understand the pain and have seen it first hand..

Horrible. Next vehicle safety product will likely be front/all around cameras. P-U trucks, et al, are too big to see down in front.

when operating any of my equient if nieces, nephews or guests are around I must keep them on my visual sight while maneuvering. If I'm backing up they're behind me where I can see them at all times, etc

Its hard to always do that, but its a must

Wow. Just an awful story. My heart hurts for the Heap family and any other family that has to endure these types of tragedies. Not sure how he will go on, but as a father myself, I know he will have to find a way given he has a wife and 4 other kids who need him present. If there is a god, may he bless this family and bring them peace in time.