Lexi Thompson...Unbelieveable

plenzmd1

I've been trying to come up with a analogy for this fan ref stuff. Imagine the NFL letting fans call in infractions but not if they are watching a single game. Only if they are watching on Red Zone.....

Golf coverage is like RZ coverage. Super dumb.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is actually only one rule in golf.

The entire handbook of current rules center around this one original rule.

"Play Fair."

A 4 stroke penalty for a 1" difference is not fair.

It was two stokes for placement, and two stokes for inaccurate scorecard.

And who knows if a fan really called it in?

She was sloppy in placing the ball and should have been more careful. They seen the error after being brought to their attention and penalized her for it.

Standards my peoples, standards! Close enough, who cares where a golfer puts the ball back. She made an error out of shear cluelessness, just didn't give a crap on where the ball needs to be placed... Or on purpose.

Ah, but who cares... Let it slide, there was no all powerful judge to see it, that's okay.

Next thing you guys will be advocating outside of sloppiness is that snitches should end up in stitches. :-/

And you wonder why we are moving away from democratic thinking to more authoritarian, one person judges mentality.

There was an error and the judges were notified of it. They verified it was an error and penalized. Just like a tax cheat gets caught cheating on their taxes, even if they didn't intend to make an error. The error is on them. Attention to detail people?

This isn't baseball, football, etc... It is hitting a ball in a hole which is a game of yards to inches. Give an inch, people take a mile. Was she really that clueless that an inch isn't that big of deal. Hey next time, take three more, no big deal.

I simply don't see what the problem is. Boo hoo, people are outraged that somebody caught her fudging... Is that what really bothers people? That some slob on a couch caught her being sloppy too and they so happened to verify the fault.

I know I am in the vast minority, but accountabilty falls on the golfer. Life is so unfair!

No, you aren't the only one:

http://www.golfwrx.com/442726/am-i-the-only-person-in-the-world-who-thinks-lexi-thompson-deserved-a-penalty/

"What if, instead of moving a ball on the green, there was video that showed she fluffed a lie in the rough on Saturday and she got called out? Ill go out on a limb and say the general public wouldnt have her back in that circumstance."

http://www.golfwrx.com/442726/am-i-the-only-person-in-the-world-who-thinks-lexi-thompson-deserved-a-penalty/

"What if, instead of moving a ball on the green, there was video that showed she fluffed a lie in the rough on Saturday and she got called out? Ill go out on a limb and say the general public wouldnt have her back in that circumstance."

Heard Gary Player on Mike and Mike and he pointed out the obvious and indisputable fact that events should be officiated equally and that allowing viewers to be officials is absurd. He said he had spoken to Nick O'Leary's Grandpa and that he agreed but I'm not sure why that matters.

Also, this was not as well publicized but on the 3rd hole of Friday's round one of the ladies beat her playing partner to death with a 7 iron but it wasn't televised so no penalty was assessed.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I hate the lazy "what if" game that people always play. That's the exact thing that winds up derailing just about every single conversation. I've got absolutely nothing to say on top of what's already said, so why don't I just create a fake scenario to judge instead so that I can look smart and pretend I'm adding something.

Now that I've got that mini-rant out of the way, to me, there's no question that she deserved a penalty. I haven't actually bothered to watch any video of this, but I trust that if they said it, it happened. The part that bothers me is the sort of double jeopardy feel for adding on the score card penalty as well (thank god it wasn't an automatic DQ). She can't possibly sign a correct score card if they assess a penalty one day later. The whole procedure of needing signed cards is so archaic given how much influence TV has.

I hate the lazy "what if" game that people always play. That's the exact thing that winds up derailing just about every single conversation. I've got absolutely nothing to say on top of what's already said, so why don't I just create a fake scenario to judge instead so that I can look smart and pretend I'm adding something.

Now that I've got that mini-rant out of the way, to me, there's no question that she deserved a penalty. I haven't actually bothered to watch any video of this, but I trust that if they said it, it happened. The part that bothers me is the sort of double jeopardy feel for adding on the score card penalty as well (thank god it wasn't an automatic DQ). She can't possibly sign a correct score card if they assess a penalty one day later. The whole procedure of needing signed cards is so archaic given how much influence TV has.

For me it's the TV. Plain and simple. The NFL is bad enough allowing Tom Brady to call his own penalties but allowing his mom to call in would be even worse.

I know... But have H&R Block/JacksonHewitt do your taxes "wrong", get audited... Are you still on hook if you owe more? Hopefully JacksonHewitt or whoever doesn't throw you under the bus.

Even better. I do my own taxes... :-) File jointly with wife, blushing bride, love O my life. Is she on hook if I eff up? Of course she is. She signed, digitally or physically... Yeah, did she really check it, read it, go through all the numbers? LMAO... If I made her go through everything on tax return, we'd have sex every two years not every year. ;-) LoL... That comment was embellished for the purpose of pure theatrics! Of course we get jiggity wit every three years. ;-) :-)

For me it's the TV. Plain and simple. The NFL is bad enough allowing Tom Brady to call his own penalties but allowing his mom to call in would be even worse.

BS!

From link I posted above:

"...People love to make comparisons to other sports, too.

This is like a fan calling into Major League Baseball about a pitch an umpire got wrong and them changing the result of the game the next day.

To that I say, well, not really.

In most any other sports, theres an objective referee whos making judgement calls based on what they see in real time. In certain circumstances, officials can review replays to get the call right. Theres no rule against an umpire getting a judgement call wrong. Baseball doesnt defer to fans on strikes and balls, just like football doesnt look to fans to correct a catch that was ruled a drop.

In golf, however, the rules permit fans to call in if they believe the rules were broken. The governing bodies allow it. And you know what with so many moving parts on a golf course, maybe this is for the best. Other sports are confined to an arena or a court or a stadium where things can be controlled. In golf, its almost impossible for rules officials to keep an eye on every single player in a tournament at a given time, or review every single thing that happened on a telecast. By allowing fans to call in about wrongdoings, it increases the odds that every player is playing by the rules. Isnt that what everyone wants?..."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

A prudential judgement ought to be able to recognize justice beyond strict interpretation of the rules. A good golfer is placed under greater scrutiny. If you're having a bad day, you won't show up on telly for some nerd-accountant type to get upset and tattle. It was an excessive penalty. When the winner feels bad, you know the athletes recognize it was not real justice.

In most any other sports, theres an objective referee whos making judgement calls based on what they see in real time. In certain circumstances, officials can review replays to get the call right. Theres no rule against an umpire getting a judgement call wrong. Baseball doesnt defer to fans on strikes and balls, just like football doesnt look to fans to correct a catch that was ruled a drop.

In golf, however, the rules permit fans to call in if they believe the rules were broken. The governing bodies allow it. And you know what with so many moving parts on a golf course, maybe this is for the best. Other sports are confined to an arena or a court or a stadium where things can be controlled. In golf, its almost impossible for rules officials to keep an eye on every single player in a tournament at a given time, or review every single thing that happened on a telecast. By allowing fans to call in about wrongdoings, it increases the odds that every player is playing by the rules. Isnt that what everyone wants?..."

Golf is wrong to allow fans to call in about violations. This is a fact, not an opinion. It's their right to do so, but it is a bad thing to do. "Why" should need no further explanation. Only part of the game is televised but all shots count equally....televised or not. By definition, the rules are not being applied equally. That's not an opinion. It's fact.

Golf has chosen to have an unevenly officiated sport. IMO that is a bad idea. That part is opinion. You may feel that it is perfectly ok to have some shots count more than others. I think it is dumb.

Wow... You guys all sound like authoritarian communists.

How long has been golf been around. It isn't like any other nursery school games where a ref is being helicopter mommy.

Somebody caught her cheating, that's THE ONLY fact. It was upheld and she was penalized.

It's a game based on honor and limited officiating. Now everybody cries boo hoo when things aren't allowed to slide.

Hate to break it to you guys... But the Bills probably didn't deserve to win The Greatest Comeback... Beebe was out of bounds. The greatest comeback title should probably be owned by the stinking cheating Pats** in the SB no less! (Unless my mem serves me wrong and another team came from between 28-31 behind to win).

The fact here is, the right call was made. She cheated, on purpose or not. Did you watch the video?

And I thought "close enough" was only a slogan for gov't workers!

Standards. Its game of yards that gets dialed down to inches. Boo boo to all the snowflakes that think she got a raw deal.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Your ire is both juvenile and misplaced. Snowflakes want to live in a bubble where everyone agrees with them.

I am a Christian conservative with a PhD in the humanities. I am absolutely used to being a minority and shut down by the snowflake totalitarianism you supposedly abhor.

This has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with whether the advent of modern technology and the hyper-scrutiny of some golfers in particular situations is just or not.

Those who think it is unjust are not communists or authoritarians. Indeed, a kind of reactionary and unthinking scrupulosity regarding rules is much more intrinsically authoritarian.

If justice did not require careful consideration of a particular situation (the equity in a concrete dispute,) one could get a robot to read off the rules and penalties. Thompson did not "cheat" because the difference was utterly negligible and there was no intent to defraud competitors. Actual golfers know this, so they were sympathetic to Thompson, not self-righteously angry with her.

I just listened to jack Nicklaus saying he thought it was "ridiculous" to impose a penalty the next day. After a round is over, it should be over. But hey, it's just Jack Nicklaus, what does he know about golf?

I have seen that replay countless times, and the ball placement is so close to identical I have a hard time with how it was handled. For anyone who hasn't seen it, they often show it in slow motion to allow you to see the "error". No, I guess it wasn't exact, and I'll bet you it happened dozens of times during the tournament with other players on other holes (probably not being televised).

Your ire is both juvenile and misplaced. Snowflakes want to live in a bubble where everyone agrees with them.

I am a Christian conservative with a PhD in the humanities. I am absolutely used to being a minority and shut down by the snowflake totalitarianism you supposedly abhor.

This has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with whether the advent of modern technology and the hyper-scrutiny of some golfers in particular situations is just or not.

Those who think it is unjust are not communists or authoritarians. Indeed, a kind of reactionary and unthinking scrupulosity regarding rules is much more intrinsically authoritarian.

If justice did not require careful consideration of a particular situation (the equity in a concrete dispute,) one could get a robot to read off the rules and penalties. Thompson did not "cheat" because the difference was utterly negligible and there was no intent to defraud competitors. Actual golfers know this, so they were sympathetic to Thompson, not self-righteously angry with her.

Standards my friend standards. Give an inch, take a mile.

So being judicially progressive should rule? I like that idea!

Video or not, it's not about who brought it to the officials attention. Did she cheat on the spot or not. Sure looks like she did. That's the only fact that matters. Golf is a funny game about stuff like that. Nah... "neighborhood plays" should rule! It isn't like getting the ball into that little hole, after getting as close as possible first, isn't the cornerstone and foundation of the game... Nah!

Holy Moly, and I am a bleeding heart.

I just listened to jack Nicklaus saying he thought it was "ridiculous" to impose a penalty the next day. After a round is over, it should be over. But hey, it's just Jack Nicklaus, what does he know about golf?

I have seen that replay countless times, and the ball placement is so close to identical I have a hard time with how it was handled. For anyone who hasn't seen it, they often show it in slow motion to allow you to see the "error". No, I guess it wasn't exact, and I'll bet you it happened dozens of times during the tournament with other players on other holes (probably not being televised).

The video is right up there in this thread.

Am I the only one not in the bubble that Lexi was robbed, unjustly thrown the book at?

:-O

Gee... IRS... I was only one zero off, I can't take that 200,000k deduction? You mean it's only 10% of that? You caught it when? 2 years after the fact? I only save my tax returns for 1 year. 200k is negligible, you guys rake in billions!

Anyway... Betcha, everybody is watching now. Those random audits are a Mutha!

BTW... I have never been audited, but I play like I will every year! Same in golf. Shouldn't it be played, no matter who you are, like everybody is watching, counting, etc...??

She'll learn from it, get over it. It's more destructive to the game and society to go all "progressive" with an issue like this. The road to perdition is paved with good intentons.

I'm not justifying it, but math (and taxes) are absolute and exact. Golf is not. The ball never gets places back exactly as it was. Very close? Sure. It's just a matter of degrees. Lexi stretched it just a bit, but it looked like less than an inch to me. Too much, I agree, but the extent and timing of the (double) penalty just don't sit well with me.

What about the contestants who may have done a similar mark/replace that was not shown on a broadcast? What if Ryu (the winner) was one of those contestants?

Wondering also if the whistleblower happened to place a bet on the tournament outcome before emailing the LPGA.

C'mon, how do you place the ball back that way? Especially a pro....

This.

#1. They are fudging

#2. They are sloppy and clueless

#3. They simply don't care.

#4. They will care now.

Simple, right. Do your best. Obviously, placing it like that is her best? She gave it the old college try! Cut her some slack Jack!

"Close enough" now adds another event.

Horsehoes, hand grenades and now apparently golf (for most people).

How very non-understanding and non-progressive of me.

She got caught, so what? It's not the end of the world people. It will probably happen again. Pay attention to detail, minimize the brain farts and move on and watch out for "the man" there is a game to be played and work to be done. I know it must hurt her pride.

What about the contestants who may have done a similar mark/replace that was not shown on a broadcast? What if Ryu (the winner) was one of those contestants?

Wondering also if the whistleblower happened to place a bet on the tournament outcome before emailing the LPGA.

This is ridiculous.

Do you go to court for a speeding ticket and use the defense that everybody else was speeding. Good luck with that one. Probably not advisable to use that defense. She got caught, what are people pissed about?

I'm not justifying it, but math (and taxes) are absolute and exact. Golf is not. The ball never gets places back exactly as it was. Very close? Sure. It's just a matter of degrees. Lexi stretched it just a bit, but it looked like less than an inch to me. Too much, I agree, but the extent and timing of the (double) penalty just don't sit well with me.

Bingo....same with every sport. The players aren't robots so why the obsession with attempting to make rules and officials that way?

His article and examples are weak. The analogy is not a ball/strike call, it's a Jeffrey Maier play. Should they have made the Yankees and Os come back the next day and replay the last inning of that game?

By allowing fans to call in about wrongdoings, it increases the odds that every player is playing by the rules. Isn’t that what everyone wants?

No, everyone doesn't want that at the cost of destroying enjoyment of the sport.

Edited by KD in CA