Mets fans?

Another Fan

49 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I’ve been active here since about 2010. Had some early run-ins with Beerball around that time, but in hindsight that was all on me.  Jack (who is a nice guy), had me in his sights after Beerball stopped modding. After Jack was dethroned, Hapless was nothing short of a f*cking nightmare. Especially after Covid hit. Once in awhile, I’ll post a ill-placed political comment and Simon has simply deleted them and occasionally PMd me to say, “dude, come on,” and leave it at that. No stupid suspensions or warnings. I think this place is at the point where only the egregious a-holes are getting suspended and/or banned. 

I probably missed your 'offensive' posts - or maybe I'm not easily offended. Always considered you to be a venerable poster.

But I'll agree that Covid/Hapless was a bad combo. The pinned 'facts only' covid thread was a low point for the site IMO.

As to the current state of the site - I miss the times where the trolls would get called out for crusading. I've been here for awhile and always considered it a sign of weakness to block someone. That changed for me the past year. 

44 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

- Vogelbach: He can't be on this team next year. He just can't. He's a slow, positionless player who can only DH against RHPs. That is the definition of a wasted roster spot. Thanks for the memories, Vogey. Don't let the door hit you on the way out and leave some donuts for your teammates. 

-Verlander: I know that none of you agree with me...and that's fine...but I'm glad he's gone. Just another in a long line of disappointing, overpaid, underachieving Met free agent acquisitions. I'm sick of 35+ year old past-their-prime acquisitions. 40 year old pitchers should not be the cornerstone/ace of the pitching staff. Your assessment of giving "the appearance of fielding a competitive team" in NYC is one that is perpetuated in large part by the media of the 'Big Apple', IMO. Part of the reason the Mets will likely never have a perpetual winner and robust farm system is the "big city mentality" of half-assing it. Too afraid to tear it down to the studs and build it right so as not to piss off their fans so they try to repair their gunshot wounds with band-aids. Rinse and repeat and here we are 62 years into a franchise that has two World Series titles to its name...the first 54 years ago and the latest 37 years ago. FYI...to be clear, I was not taking a shot at you. I'm just expressing my own frustration at the "you can't do a complete rebuild in NY" mantra. It's a big reason why this franchise is usually in some form of perpetual suck, IMO. Take the short-term hit and do it right.

- Buck: The rose is definitely off the bloom in my eyes. I would be okay if they kept him and okay if they fired him. I would not be upset either way. If he is gone, I would relish not having to listen to his mumbling, 'low-talking' indirectly into the microphone style. It's maddening to have to crank up the TV and try to decipher his pressers. Open your mouth and speak clearly...and audibly...in to mic. After all, you are in fugging NY, Buck. 

WRT Verlander - where we disagree is the underachieving. In my eyes he got swept up in the two years of overpaid-ness and lack of availability of DeGrom/Scherzer. For sure he started his Mets stint on the DL and had a slow start, but he was pitching well when we cut the cord. 

LMFAO at the Buck low-talker comments -spot on. And like you and @Another Fan I'm not on the fire Buck band-wagon, but if they have someone in mind to replace him I'm all ears 

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

WRT Verlander - where we disagree is the underachieving. In my eyes he got swept up in the two years of overpaid-ness and lack of availability of DeGrom/Scherzer. For sure he started his Mets stint on the DL and had a slow start, but he was pitching well when we cut the cord. 

LMFAO at the Buck low-talker comments -spot on. And like you and @Another Fan I'm not on the fire Buck band-wagon, but if they have someone in mind to replace him I'm all ears 

Let me be clear on Verlander. I do not hate him and maybe 'underachieving' was the wrong choice of words on my part. If only one of Scherzer and Verlander had to go then I was 100% for shipping the former. Cutting ties with Verlander represents a bigger picture thing for me akin to hitting the 'Reset' button. Sweep out the old, even if they are still effective, and take it in a new direction with a forward thinking philosophy. They weren't winning anything with the 40 year old Verlander and he'll only be another year older next season when this team is more than likely still retooling. What's the point? They'd probably end up shipping him at the deadline in 2024 anyway and at least at this point, they have prospects already getting acclimated to their system. Trading Verlander was a no-brainer, IMO. I realize that's not necessarily the popular view but one I stand by nonetheless.

Buck...'nuff said. EEEEEEEEEEEE-NUN-CIATE, please!

LGM!

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

@ExWNYer @Gugny @Another Fan

Anyone happen to catch the game tonight?  Great (albeit meaningless) win. Fun watch from the 7th on.

DJ Stewart making a strong case to replace Vogelbach.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Stewart is having a nice run. Very fun game!!

@Another Fan

Stewart has been a fun follow the last several weeks. Every time I see he's hit another I say, "WTF?" 😁

I was out last night and tuned in on the car radio on my way home. It was the top of the 8th and the Mets were up, 3-2, when Ottavino plunked a batter to tie it and then allowed the go ahead hit. Nope...not gonna do this to myself <click>. Off went the radio. When I got home I checked my phone and said, "Let's see how badly they lost" and saw that it was now 5-5 going to the top of the 9th. "Hmmmm, okay...I'll watch the end of this." Put the game on the TV in the top of the 9th and watched to its conclusion. When Texas loaded the bases in the top of the 10th with no outs, I just knew it was over but, much to my surprise, Brigham wriggled off the hook unscathed. Then the Metropolitans loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the 10th and were promptly gifted two walks and a hit batter by Dumbassis Chapman to win it. That was a very unexpected and entertaining finish.

BTW, Ronny Mauricio is finally being called up to the big club. He will be at Citi-Field on Friday for the start of the series with the Mariners. I'm anxious to see what this kid can do. Let's just hope that Buck doesn't glue RM's butt to the bench. If he's going to be a fixture next year, he's going to need to find a position whether that's 2B or 3B. It would be logical to me to try and develop him at 3B and convert Baty to LF. Baty will need to really find himself by next Spring Training or he'll either find himself back at Syracuse or part of a trade package.

13 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

@Another Fan

Stewart has been a fun follow the last several weeks. Every time I see he's hit another I say, "WTF?" 😁

I was out last night and tuned in on the car radio on my way home. It was the top of the 8th and the Mets were up, 3-2, when Ottavino plunked a batter to tie it and then allowed the go ahead hit. Nope...not gonna do this to myself <click>. Off went the radio. When I got home I checked my phone and said, "Let's see how badly they lost" and saw that it was now 5-5 going to the top of the 9th. "Hmmmm, okay...I'll watch the end of this." Put the game on the TV in the top of the 9th and watched to its conclusion. When Texas loaded the bases in the top of the 10th with no outs, I just knew it was over but, much to my surprise, Brigham wriggled off the hook unscathed. Then the Metropolitans loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the 10th and were promptly gifted two walks and a hit batter by Dumbassis Chapman to win it. That was a very unexpected and entertaining finish.

BTW, Ronny Mauricio is finally being called up to the big club. He will be at Citi-Field on Friday for the start of the series with the Mariners. I'm anxious to see what this kid can do. Let's just hope that Buck doesn't glue RM's butt to the bench. If he's going to be a fixture next year, he's going to need to find a position whether that's 2B or 3B. It would be logical to me to try and develop him at 3B and convert Baty to LF. Baty will need to really find himself by next Spring Training or he'll either find himself back at Syracuse or part of a trade package.

I'm looking forward to seeing Mauricio too. He better not get the Vientos treatment (bring him up and sit him down).

Unless there's an off-season trade Mets will have some interesting decisions next spring wrt Mauricio, Baty and Vientos.  Based on this past year Baty seemed to hold most favored nation status with the Mets brass. Probably helped his cause when he got sent down to Triple A and tore it up. I think they're comfortable moving McNeil around and tbh I am too so that will help. But I'm not wild about playing the younger guys out of position, in particular Baty in LF.  

8 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Mauricio too. He better not get the Vientos treatment (bring him up and sit him down).

Unless there's an off-season trade Mets will have some interesting decisions next spring wrt Mauricio, Baty and Vientos.  Based on this past year Baty seemed to hold most favored nation status with the Mets brass. Probably helped his cause when he got sent down to Triple A and tore it up. I think they're comfortable moving McNeil around and tbh I am too so that will help. But I'm not wild about playing the younger guys out of position, in particular Baty in LF.  

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out but, of the three, my gut tells me that Vientos is the most likely to be used as a trade chip at some point. The Mets drive me crazy with the way they constantly try to force square pegs into round holes. In a perfect world, Mauricio would settle in at 2B, Baty would develop as a decent 3B and McNeil would float and play LF/2B/Utility. I don't have an issue with trying Baty in the outfield. I believe he has played there before but has just gotten more time at 3B. If they want him in LF, he needs to start working immediately once the season ends. Honestly, the more versatile he can be, the better chance of contributing  he will have. I think his defense this year took a mental toll on his batting average. LF if a lot easier to play 'decently' than 3B is. 

16 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

In his first at bat Mauricio purportedly hit the hardest ball a Met has hit all year. I saw the at bat (RFer was frozen) and watched him get stranded at third. Looks like a big dude - surprised he projected as a SS let alone 2B.

I was just a teenager then but I never really quite got over Jason Phillips in a way when it comes to getting excited about late season call ups.  I thought he was going to be like for sure the next big thing.  I think the Mets brass then did as well as they wanted Mike to play 1st base to make room for him as catcher going forward.  I also thought the whole Buddy Holly glasses he wore made him seem him even cooler.  But it didnt quite work out 😞.  Damn that was 20 years ago already.  

Just two other notes:

I mean DeGrom I would have been cool with but what was the deal with the Scherzer tribute video.  Just seriously....  

His passing was also almost 20 years ago today.  Sean Kimmerling.  

https://nypost.com/2003/09/10/kimerling-will-be-missed/

I still remember being upset about that when I heard it.  If I recall correctly he was a sideline reporter when the Mets used to be on Channel 11 WB.  He seemed a nice, handsome, healthy guy.  I mean still kind of stunning in a way thinking about him.

But there is a Cancer memorial named after him

https://www.seankimerling.org

And I feel Sean himself would laugh at that 1st picture on that site!  A serious topic in a light manner there 

• Like (+1) 2

Mauricio trivia.....answers further down:

1) He had two hits in his Mets/MLB debut. Who is the last Met to do that?

2) He went 3 for 4 in his first Mets/MLB at bats? Who is the last Met to do that?

3) He went 4 for 5 in his first Mets/MLB at bats? Who is the last Met to do that?

1) Steven Matz

2) Luis Guillorme

3) Jake DeGrom

Edited by SinceThe70s
Added #3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

In his first at bat Mauricio purportedly hit the hardest ball a Met has hit all year. I saw the at bat (RFer was frozen) and watched him get stranded at third. Looks like a big dude - surprised he projected as a SS let alone 2B.

Yes, I believe it was 117.3 mph. Baty & Alvarez also had base knocks. Good night for the 'Baby Mets'.

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

2) He went 3 for 4 in his first Mets/MLB at bats? Who is the last Met to do that?

3) He went 4 for 5 in his first Mets/MLB at bats? Who is the last Met to do that?

1) Steven Matz

2) Luis Guillorme

3) Jake DeGrom

I knew #1...actually watched his debut on TV. I didn't know #2 and #3. Very cool.

10 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Yes, I believe it was 117.3 mph. Baty & Alvarez also had base knocks. Good night for the 'Baby Mets'.

I knew #1...actually watched his debut on TV. I didn't know #2 and #3. Very cool.

Same. That Matz game was magical with his family in the stands!

• Agree 1

On 9/2/2023 at 8:33 PM, SinceThe70s said:

1) Steven Matz

2) Luis Guillorme

3) Jake DeGrom

Tbh 0 for 3 on your quiz 🙁  Good trivia though.

The discussion on Matz made me look him up.  Seems he's with the Cardinals and is doing okay for himself I guess?  Got a recent 4 year 44 million dollar deal there.

I liked Matz but if I recall right he wasn't like mentally strong to be a starting pitcher?  Or at least not yet in that point of his career.

Nonetheless I liked him and wish him well.  But yeah even when more recent guys like Canha I like get traded the are out of mind out of sight for me for the most part 

Edited by Another Fan
spell check automatically put Matt in when typing Matz!

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Tbh 0 for 3 on your quiz 🙁  Good trivia though.

The discussion on Matz made me look him up.  Seems he's with the Cardinals and is doing okay for himself I guess?  Got a recent 4 year 44 million dollar deal there.

I liked Matz but if I recall right he wasn't like mentally strong to be a starting pitcher?  Or at least not yet in that point of his career.

Nonetheless I liked him and wish him well.  But yeah even when more recent guys like Canha I like get traded the are out of mind out of sight for me for the most part 

100% on Matz not being mentally strong. When the going got tough he got soft.

Matz was a big deal for me cuz he was a local boy. And if you didn't know there was an epic game between him and Stroman as high-schoolers. I was oblivious to it when it went down but it was a cool story when Stroman came to the Mets and they became teammates.

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Like (+1) 1

@ExWNYer  @SinceThe70s   @Gugny

I've just been checking the scores of late.  I certainly respect you guys/fans that watch the games now for the late calls up but it's hard for me to get excited about them.  

Perhaps you've seen this clip but only now I came across it.  

I understand I'm really grasping for straws and part of this is nostalgia but I wouldn't mind considering Terry again for manager.  I mean if I recall correctly it felt like his tenure ran its course more than he deserved to be fired?  If the team is going young this is the kind of fiery/passionate manager I'm looking for.  Or has the game been completely overrun by stats at this point 

On 9/9/2023 at 1:40 PM, Another Fan said:

@ExWNYer  @SinceThe70s   @Gugny

I've just been checking the scores of late.  I certainly respect you guys/fans that watch the games now for the late calls up but it's hard for me to get excited about them.  

Perhaps you've seen this clip but only now I came across it.  

I understand I'm really grasping for straws and part of this is nostalgia but I wouldn't mind considering Terry again for manager.  I mean if I recall correctly it felt like his tenure ran its course more than he deserved to be fired?  If the team is going young this is the kind of fiery/passionate manager I'm looking for.  Or has the game been completely overrun by stats at this point 

I loved Terry. 

I’m not sure I’d be thrilled if he came back. But it wouldn’t be the end of the world. 

I do think we need more new school than old school, unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I loved Terry. 

I’m not sure I’d be thrilled if he came back. But it wouldn’t be the end of the world. 

I do think we need more new school than old school, unfortunately.

Is that because you think in general front offices have more power today?  

Outside the Mets I don’t really keep aware of what goes on in a broader sense in baseball 

4 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Is that because you think in general front offices have more power today?  

Outside the Mets I don’t really keep aware of what goes on in a broader sense in baseball 

That's part of it, IMO. And game management/strategy really has changed drastically. It's very much analytics driven vs 'gut feel' of the 'baseball lifer' manager. I like Terry but he is living in Florida golfing constantly and working on his tan. He makes appearances on 'BNNY'/SNY via Zoom. I think it would take a lot to coax him out of retirement. He's got the best of both worlds right now. Like Gugs, I wouldn't hate it but I'd prefer to look forward rather than backwards...and that's coming from the old guy in this little clatch of ours. I'm way younger in appearance and thinking than my years. lol

(Also, I think Buck gets one more year to turn it around)

I'd be good with giving Carlos Beltran another shot (enough time has passed and enough 'stink' has dissipated, IMO). Ultimately, we'll see what Stearns wants to do going forward. He is genuinely the first Met front office hire I have ever been this excited/hopeful about bringing into the organization. LFGM!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

That's part of it, IMO. And game management/strategy really has changed drastically. It's very much analytics driven vs 'gut feel' of the 'baseball lifer' manager. I like Terry but he is living in Florida golfing constantly and working on his tan. He makes appearances on 'BNNY'/SNY via Zoom. I think it would take a lot to coax him out of retirement. He's got the best of both worlds right now. Like Gugs, I wouldn't hate it but I'd prefer to look forward rather than backwards...and that's coming from the old guy in this little clatch of ours. I'm way younger in appearance and thinking than my years. lol

(Also, I think Buck gets one more year to turn it around)

I'd be good with giving Carlos Beltran another shot (enough time has passed and enough 'stink' has dissipated, IMO). Ultimately, we'll see what Stearns wants to do going forward. He is genuinely the first Met front office hire I have ever been this excited/hopeful about bringing into the organization. LFGM!

I think Beltran never seeing the light of day as the Mets’ manager was an absolute blessing. 

We’d be making the same exact mistake the Yankees did by hiring someone who’s never coached a little league team, let alone coach in any capacity in MLB. 

The Randolph and Calloway debacles proved to me that NYC is not the place for a manager to cut his teeth. 

As we’d discussed before, my preference would be Girardi. Or another proven, young(ish) manager. 

I wouldn’t cross my arms and stomp my feet if Buck is retained. But I really do think we could do better. 

Stearns has been preparing for this role since Cohen bought the team. I am convinced. 

I am VERY excited about the future of the team. 

I think if Showalter gets another season, that it would indicate that Stearns has his sights set on 2025, but the off-season will tell us more. 

28 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think Beltran never seeing the light of day as the Mets’ manager was an absolute blessing. 

We’d be making the same exact mistake the Yankees did by hiring someone who’s never coached a little league team, let alone coach in any capacity in MLB. 

The Randolph and Calloway debacles proved to me that NYC is not the place for a manager to cut his teeth. 

As we’d discussed before, my preference would be Girardi. Or another proven, young(ish) manager. 

I wouldn’t cross my arms and stomp my feet if Buck is retained. But I really do think we could do better. 

Stearns has been preparing for this role since Cohen bought the team. I am convinced. 

I think if Showalter gets another season, that it would indicate that Stearns has his sights set on 2025, but the off-season will tell us more. 

I get your point about Beltran and don't entirely disagree with it but I would take him 10 times out of 10 over Girardi who has proven to eventually grate on his players' nerves and turn them off while they tune him out. He ran that pennant winning Philthies team into the ground with his iron-fisted approach. He knows baseball, for sure, but he's more drill sergeant and meathead than a modern day manager, IMO. Whatever Stearns decides, I'm onboard (even if it's Girardi) until Stearns demonstrates that he is clueless, which I don't think will happen. Like I said before, I believe they will give Buck one more year while Stearns gets the lay of the land unless he comes in like Jerruh Jones did when old plastic face purchased the Lone Star Gauchos. Maybe I'm wrong and Stearns will actually make some significant, wholesale changes. Like I said, I'm down with whatever his starting plan is. He gets my wholehearted benefit of the doubt starting day one.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Beltran just sort of seems to never really go away does he?  😅

I know you are a skeptic of Johann's no hitter.  Look whose hit caused the controversy.  

• Agree 1

@Gugny @SinceThe70s @Another Fan

Whaaaaaaaat? A trade that finally worked out in the Mets' favor? Did Stearns hold an exorcism or did Cohen pay off the baseball gods?

"Max Scherzer injury update: Rangers pitcher out for rest of regular season, 'unlikely' to pitch in playoffs"

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/max-scherzer-injury-update-rangers-pitcher-out-for-rest-of-regular-season-unlikely-to-pitch-in-playoffs/

6 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny @SinceThe70s @Another Fan

Whaaaaaaaat? A trade that finally worked out in the Mets' favor? Did Stearns hold an exorcism or did Cohen pay off the baseball gods?

"Max Scherzer injury update: Rangers pitcher out for rest of regular season, 'unlikely' to pitch in playoffs"

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/max-scherzer-injury-update-rangers-pitcher-out-for-rest-of-regular-season-unlikely-to-pitch-in-playoffs/

Lol.

As much as a lukewarm feeling Scherzer left in my mouth, I wouldn’t wish that on him.  Ditto Aaron Rodgers.  

Time even kinda caught up with Tom Brady 

• Like (+1) 1

@Gugny @ExWNYer @Another Fan

A lot to catch up on, I'll try to be brief.

I have no interest in revisiting the past. The ship sailed on Terry and Beltran for different reasons but I see nothing good coming from bringing either back. The Collins clip that @Another Fan posted was great - would like to see some of that out of Buck instead of the 'I know better than you' scowl.

I'm interested in why folks think Stearns is the savior. I'm not for or against the guy. I get that he grew up a Mets fan, I love the fact that we wanted him and got him, but he's been with the Brewers for awhile and unless I'm mistaken the Brewers have won one post season series since he was hired in 2015. And now he's in charge of a big market team where those types of results would not make him exalted.

As for Buck, the interesting thing I heard about Stearns is that he inherited Craig Counsell as manager. Not sure if that means anything or not. I can't lobby to keep Buck but at the same time I'm not sure who I'd want to replace him so I'm fine with playing wait and see.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I have no interest in revisiting the past. The ship sailed on Terry and Beltran for different reasons but I see nothing good coming from bringing either back. The Collins clip that @Another Fan posted was great - would like to see some of that out of Buck instead of the 'I know better than you' scowl.

I'm interested in why folks think Stearns is the savior. I'm not for or against the guy. I get that he grew up a Mets fan, I love the fact that we wanted him and got him, but he's been with the Brewers for awhile and unless I'm mistaken the Brewers have won one post season series since he was hired in 2015. And now he's in charge of a big market team where those types of results would not make him exalted.

As for Buck, the interesting thing I heard about Stearns is that he inherited Craig Counsell as manager. Not sure if that means anything or not. I can't lobby to keep Buck but at the same time I'm not sure who I'd want to replace him so I'm fine with playing wait and see.

RE: Statement 1 - I agree with the bolded comment. My point was more to Gugny's Girardi comment. I think Girardi proved that he is nobody's answer after how he ran the Philthies into the ground and, while I am not advocating for Beltran, I would much rather have him than Girardi. That was my only reason for conjuring his name. And Terry is not giving up that sweet gig to take on the frustrations of the modern day manager, IMO. Anymore Florida sun and he is going to be able to pass for a piece of old Samsonite luggage. 😉 I don't want him either. Thanks for the memories, TC. BTW, I do think Beltran will get a shot with someone either as a manager or an integral part of a front office. He is universally perceived around the game as having a 'baseball mind' and the prevailing thought is that he will do well for someone. That remains to be seen, of course.

RE: Statement 2 - I don't know if anyone here has referred to Stearns as "the savior". I certainly have not although I am thrilled that he is onboard. He is a baseball man...he's younger blood, knows scouting and analytics and, like Beltran, is held in high regard in baseball circles. He would have had no lack of suitors had his dream job not opened. I don't think it's entirely fair to bring up Milwaukee's success or lack thereof...they are a small market team with nowhere near the resources of the Mets and their new owner. He was working within constraints that he won't have in New York. This organization has never had a President of Baseball Operations and they are long overdue. If nothing else, Billy Eppler does not get the final say on personnel moves. For me, it's more what Stearns represents and potentially brings to the table. Outside of Frank Cashen, the previous owners and front offices of this club have been largely trash for the entirety of its existence. It's a new era...here's to hoping it's a good era.

RE: Statement 3 - I am on record several times as saying that I will not shed a tear or get angry whether they keep Buck or let him go. At the moment my 'Keep or Trash' meter is closer to 'Trash' but I am lukewarm either way. Perhaps it's closer to 'Trash' just for the intrigue of, "Ooooh, something new!" Keeping Buck or firing him does not really move the needle for me either way. It's all "meh" to me. Getting the right players going forward...that's what moves the needle for me.

22 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

The Brewers are in first place now and will most likely win the central Division.  I mean I don't know for sure but I want to say they are usually a solid team despite operating at a significantly payroll than say the Mets or Yankees.

I agree with you about Stearns.  My issue isnt so much him personally versus how baseball has evolved.  Like for me this year my biggest frustration this year was I don't think Buck pushes/nags/gets on any of the players cases when the results have been well very disappointing this season.  Like the team just walks through the motions.   Hence the nostalgia posting that Terry Collins clip.

But at the same time I'm stubbornly acknowledging this is what the future of the game is and the managers control is shrinking.  So yeah if Stearns is what is needed so be it.  We all want to see the team competitive at the end of the day 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

RE: Statement 1 - I agree with the bolded comment. My point was more to Gugny's Girardi comment. I think Girardi proved that he is nobody's answer after how he ran the Philthies into the ground and, while I am not advocating for Beltran, I would much rather have him than Girardi. That was my only reason for conjuring his name. And Terry is not giving up that sweet gig to take on the frustrations of the modern day manager, IMO. Anymore Florida sun and he is going to be able to pass for a piece of old Samsonite luggage. 😉 I don't want him either. Thanks for the memories, TC. BTW, I do think Beltran will get a shot with someone either as a manager or an integral part of a front office. He is universally perceived around the game as having a 'baseball mind' and the prevailing thought is that he will do well for someone. That remains to be seen, of course.

RE: Statement 2 - I don't know if anyone here has referred to Stearns as "the savior". I certainly have not although I am thrilled that he is onboard. He is a baseball man...he's younger blood, knows scouting and analytics and, like Beltran, is held in high regard in baseball circles. He would have had no lack of suitors had his dream job not opened. I don't think it's entirely fair to bring up Milwaukee's success or lack thereof...they are a small market team with nowhere near the resources of the Mets and their new owner. He was working within constraints that he won't have in New York. This organization has never had a President of Baseball Operations and they are long overdue. If nothing else, Billy Eppler does not get the final say on personnel moves. For me, it's more what Stearns represents and potentially brings to the table. Outside of Frank Cashen, the previous owners and front offices of this club have been largely trash for the entirety of its existence. It's a new era...here's to hoping it's a good era.

RE: Statement 3 - I am on record several times as saying that I will not shed a tear or get angry whether they keep Buck or let him go. At the moment my 'Keep or Trash' meter is closer to 'Trash' but I am lukewarm either way. Perhaps it's closer to 'Trash' just for the intrigue of, "Ooooh, something new!" Keeping Buck or firing him does not really move the needle for me either way. It's all "meh" to me. Getting the right players going forward...that's what moves the needle for me.

Just to be clear my savior comment had more to do with listening to local radio - but when you threw your support behind Stearns I was interested in why. I know next to nothing about the guy but when I look at the resume it's not obvious to me why everyone is so excited about the hire.  I'm happy that they got the guy they wanted, beyond that I'll wait to see what moves he makes.

On 9/15/2023 at 8:57 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Just to be clear my savior comment had more to do with listening to local radio - but when you threw your support behind Stearns I was interested in why. I know next to nothing about the guy but when I look at the resume it's not obvious to me why everyone is so excited about the hire.  I'm happy that they got the guy they wanted, beyond that I'll wait to see what moves he makes.

There are a handful of current Mets who played under him and had nothing but good things to say about him. Narvaez and Vogelbach are the only ones who come to mind at the moment but there a few others, as well. He would often be down on the field watching batting practice as a GM which isn't all that common. Stearns has been perceived as robotic and analytical to outsiders but the players said he was personable and involved. While Milwaukee hasn't won a World Series since he's been there, they have been pretty consistent winners and are about to win their third division title since he got there eight years ago which is something the Mets can't claim. He's done a good job building pitching staffs but not so much developing hitters. As you said, we'll have to wait and see what kind of moves he makes. I'm excited but there are many times I've been excited by something this organization has done only to end up at 'smh'.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nice to see Big Dan get a big hit today.  I mean I’m thinking he’s not back next year so a nice memory for him.

One of my first online friends is from Cincy.  Seems this is the first time in forever the Reds won the yearly record 4-2).  Another friend was the clincher in Cincy for the NL East in 2015.

I don’t think I’ll watch any playoff games but yeah I like the Reds.  I’ll follow them a little down the stretch 

Edited by Another Fan

16 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Nice to see Big Dan get a big hit today.  I mean I’m thinking he’s not back next year so a nice memory for him.

One of my first online friends is from Cincy.  Seems this is the first time in forever the Reds won the yearly record 4-2).  Another friend was the clincher in Cincy for the NL East in 2015.

I don’t think I’ll watch any playoff games but yeah I like the Reds.  I’ll follow them a little down the stretch 

I thought it was cool that 'Big Sexy' decided to retire a Met despite his family wanting him to retire with Cleveland. He said the Met fans embraced him more than any other fan base and NY is where he wanted to officially call it quits. Nice feel good story in an otherwise crapfest of a season.

I don't have anything against this version of the Reds but I have never liked the Cincinnati baseball team (or the football team for that matter). I hated Pete Rose and 'The Big Red Machine' when I was a kid. I had a friend in high school whose family was from West Virginia and he was a Reds fan...and annoying as hell. lol If the 2023 Reds face any of the Braves, Philthies, or Dodgers in the playoffs then I will pull for them, if only cursorily. I don't see myself watching much of the baseball playoffs this year. I am ready to turn the page thanks to the underperforming NY Mess and I am firmly on to the football season and getting excited for the impending Sabres season.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2023 at 12:19 PM, ExWNYer said:

I thought it was cool that 'Big Sexy' decided to retire a Met despite his family wanting him to retire with Cleveland. He said the Met fans embraced him more than any other fan base and NY is where he wanted to officially call it quits. Nice feel good story in an otherwise crapfest of a season.

I don't have anything against this version of the Reds but I have never liked the Cincinnati baseball team (or the football team for that matter). I hated Pete Rose and 'The Big Red Machine' when I was a kid. I had a friend in high school whose family was from West Virginia and he was a Reds fan...and annoying as hell. lol If the 2023 Reds face any of the Braves, Philthies, or Dodgers in the playoffs then I will pull for them, if only cursorily. I don't see myself watching much of the baseball playoffs this year. I am ready to turn the page thanks to the underperforming NY Mess and I am firmly on to the football season and getting excited for the impending Sabres season.

#metoo wrt Big Sexy. I really wanted to go to the game and was planning to until I found out the Bills would be on local TV (I live a weird Bills fan existence where I only see locally broadcast games so when they are on locally it's a priority).

WRT Pete Rose -\he was a despised player for me as well. My Rose memories are the Harrelson brawl, Rose taking out Fosse in the All Star game (slightly before my time but an iconic d-bag moment all the same) and being at the game where Rose tied Tommy Holmes NL hit streak record at Shea. The funny part about the last moment was we were on the first base side and I remember watching Pat Zachry fall into the dugout cuz he was p!ssed that he gave up the hit, he tried to kick something and ended up on the DL with a broken foot or something.

• Like (+1) 1

@SinceThe70s @ExWNYer @Gugny

Well outside of the Tre White injury this was a real good sports Sunday!

Eppler deserves some blame but Buck imo was the number one culprit of why the team had such a poor year.  Having said that I don't dislike him the man and am glad he got to say goodbye with dignity showed to him.

Jury is very much still out on the future but at least this shows Cohen is going to do what he thinks is necessary at the end of the day to win.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Eppler deserves some blame but Buck imo was the number one culprit of why the team had such a poor year.  Having said that I don't dislike him the man and am glad he got to say goodbye with dignity showed to him.

Jury is very much still out on the future but at least this shows Cohen is going to do what he thinks is necessary at the end of the day to win.  

Disagree that  Buck was the number one culprit. The season was in jeopardy as soon as Diaz went down and things started spiraling when Max sucked, Quintana got hurt, Verlander missed his first few starts and Pedersen and Megill were abysmal. With that said I'm fine moving on from Buck - while  I don't think he was the problem he also didn't appear to be part of the solution.

One positive that came out of the season was Lucchesi - raise your hand if you saw that coming!

45 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

31 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Disagree that  Buck was the number one culprit. The season was in jeopardy as soon as Diaz went down and things started spiraling when Max sucked, Quintana got hurt, Verlander missed his first few starts and Pedersen and Megill were abysmal. With that said I'm fine moving on from Buck - while  I don't think he was the problem he also didn't appear to be part of the solution.

One positive that came out of the season was Lucchesi - raise your hand if you saw that coming!

I think there was a pretty significant stretch this season during which the Mets played some painfully uninspired baseball. 

That will always be in the manager’s shoulders, to me. 

That said - I do agree that injuries did him no favors, but every team deals with injuries. 

Overall. I think the firing was warranted. 

But I do love Buck and I do think he did a decent job with what he was given. Just not good enough. 

Onward and upward. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

52 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny

Agree that Buck was part of the problem but not the number one culprit. There were a myriad of reason that this team spit the bit. Losing Diaz before the season even started, Eppler, Buck, Scherzer & Verlander, Lindor's horrible first half, other integral vets who were invisible in the first half, an overworked and not talented enough bullpen, having to rely on rookies earlier than wanted...the list goes on and on. I'm neither happy nor sad to see Buck go but I am excited to see what the future with Stearns and a new skipper might bring and I wish Buck the best, truly. Whether coming off of a good year or a bad year, I love the 'Hot Stove' season. I'm ready to move on and look towards the future.

BTW, I'm still on cloud nine after the squishing and thorough gutting of the fish today. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and the coming week, friends.

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny

Agree that Buck was part of the problem but not the number one culprit. There were a myriad of reason that this team spit the bit. Losing Diaz before the season even started, Eppler, Buck, Scherzer & Verlander, Lindor's horrible first half, other integral vets who were invisible in the first half, an overworked and not talented enough bullpen, having to rely on rookies earlier than wanted...the list goes on and on. I'm neither happy nor sad to see Buck go but I am excited to see what the future with Stearns and a new skipper might bring and I wish Buck the best, truly. Whether coming off of a good year or a bad year, I love the 'Hot Stove' season. I'm ready to move on and look towards the future.

BTW, I'm still on cloud nine after the squishing and thorough gutting of the fish today. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and the coming week, friends.

I think one of the biggest questions is whether or not Baty is an every day 3B. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think one of the biggest questions is whether or not Baty is an every day 3B. 

I also wonder about where Mauricio slots in. TBH I haven't watched much over the past month but from what I saw he looks like a legit MLB hitter - which makes me think he has a questionable glove? Pure speculation on my part with nothing to back it up other than questioning why he wasn't brought up sooner.

Baty looks like a guy that's gonna have to be a big plus at the plate cuz to me he looks uninspiring in the field.

29 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny

I was just telling wifey that it's amazing how much a Bills win changes my mental state - especially one like today's.

• Agree 2