Mets fans?

Another Fan

14 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

The sad part is, I can’t be completely sure if this is a joke.

On August 6, 1960 in the top of the 8th with no outs and a runner on first Phil Regan walked Ted Williams. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET196008060.shtml

At the time, Regan was a rookie and it was Williams last year in the league.

Call me crazy, but I think this is really ***** cool:

"Regan, 82, was an active MLB player from 1960 to 1972 and spent two-and-a-half seasons with the Los Angeles Dodgers, pitching on the same staff as Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale and Don Sutton."

Given where we're coming from, why not try something radically different? A guy like this has to have picked up countless pointers from those legends along the way. Maybe he wasn't gifted enough physically to execute them himself. But if he passes them on to players he's coaching -- in this case, some VERY gifted athletes -- maybe certain flaws get fixed and a raw pitcher like Thor becomes polished.

I'm still going to rag on him, cuz that's what I do. But I'm a combination of intrigued and amused, so I'm' going to give the 'ol coot a chance!

Edited by Golden Goat
Fixed the link.
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Call me crazy, but I think this is really ***** cool:

"Regan, 82, was an active MLB player from 1960 to 1972 and spent two-and-a-half seasons with the Los Angeles Dodgers, pitching on the same staff as Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale and Don Sutton."

Given where we're coming from, why not try something radically different? A guy like this has to have picked up countless pointers from those legends along the way. Maybe he wasn't gifted enough physically to execute them himself. But if he passes them on to players he's coaching -- in this case, some VERY gifted athletes -- maybe certain flaws get fixed and a raw pitcher like Thor becomes polished.

I'm still going to rag on him, cuz that's what I do. But I'm a combination of intrigued and amused, so I'm' going to give the 'ol coot a chance!

Great post.

He's probably forgotten more about baseball than you and I will ever know.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Let see how good you guys are with former Mets.  The guy on the left in the photo below is an ex Met.   He’s a friend of a co worker whose a friend...   If I told you his name you’d probably remember him.

491B439C-0667-4406-ABCD-99426C1D9747.jpeg

Sid Fernandez?

I have no clue. 

5 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I think he manages a local independent league team.

The guy in the picture sells insurance.?

Anyway...that VW fella better get ready to give Big Pete some Big,Big money...McNeil,as well.

C'mon 70's...more names,you're near the fire..warming up.

Edited by Misterbluesky

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Ding Ding Ding.  Yep

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/86051cf5

Have to be really honest here -- The main reason I remember the guy is because he had the teeniest head and wore gigantic baseball caps. I was an avid baseball card collector back then, and every time I saw his card(s), I thought to myself, "train conductor." Every photo ever taken of the guy looks eerily similar to this. Every. Single. One.

s-l1600.jpg

Kidding aside, he was a solid middle reliever with a career ERA of 3.05. He'd be -- like -- the #2 guy in our 2019 bullpen.

Still, without the "never-been-with-another-team" clue, I never would have guessed him.

Edited by Golden Goat
  • Like (+1) 1