Jets possibly looking at QB in first round

They need a QB badly. I bet they draft one in the first.

Jet's would be the ideal target for a draft pick trade also in my opinion. I would trade them #10 for their first and second next year. - Mainly because I expect them to be battling it out for honor of worst team in the league this year.

That would be amazing...

So drafting a QB every year doesn't work?

It has to work eventually right? Might take 50 years? I wonder what the over/under is on that? - 18 years perhaps?

Like playing a game of cricket darts at your local tavern with half a knob on and you need to close out the bullseye. You've got your beer muscles in your favor. You are confident. You keep throwing 3 darts at the red dot in the middle every round - yet somehow you can't close it out quick enough - and you lose yet again. dammit.

Except in the NFL game of cricket you have 32 guys all throwing for the bullseye every round. Some guys are going to get lucky - hardly anyone can throw them with consistency.

Edited by PolishDave

No. I think they think they misjudged them.

If I recall correctly, last year towards the end of the season there was a rumor that the Jet's front office was entirely unhappy about any of their potential quarterbacks. If that is true, they probably draft one this year. Maybe first maybe not.

Would be okay with me if we traded our 10 pick to them and got their 1 and 2 next year. Then they can draft someone else with their first pick and still take a qb in the first. D Watson perhaps. - Sounds good to me.

I'd do that in a heart beat... But it'd probably have to be their 2nd this year and a 1st next year. I don't see any way Whaley doesn't get a pick back for this draft.

I think the Jets will be picking top 3 next year though. That'd set the Bills up perfectly to draft a top QB in 2018.

I don't see the Jets actually doing this. I'm sure they know they will likely suck this year. If they really want a QB, they will just take him at #6 IMO.

Edited by BillsFan4

Jets have drafted a QB the past 4 years and 6 in the last 8. And they just signed Josh McKown's mummy.

And they are going to pick one in the 1st this year?

Bahaha.

Well... Petty is terrible, hackenberg barely dressed for game days his rookie year, and McCowns been terrible for 3 years now. Not sure how you can say it isn't a need.

Should Jets take a QB in first round, it'll be HUGE. Means more likely they won't pick QB in first round in 2018. But again they got pressing needs in corner, and that's literally a "cornerstone" of their coach's D so this is probably all smoke and mirrors.

http://nypost.com/2017/03/29/jets-have-private-workout-with-mitchell-trubisky-qb-homework-gets-serious/

I really hope they do draft a QB at #6 this year. I know the Jets seem to draft a QB every year, but even them I can't see spending a high 1st round pick on a QB 2 years in a row. If they actually did use two 1st round picks on a QB in consecutive years (this year and next), they'd be the first team that I'm aware of that's done that. Has any team ever used 2 1st round picks in a row on a QB? (let alone 2 high 1st round picks?).

So Hopefully that'd take them out of the running for one of the top QBs next year, if they do draft one this year...

Not to split hairs but I'm pretty sure the Jets have actually drafted a QB 5 of the last 6, two in a row for Maccagnan. Maybe he's like a lot of posters here...draft one until you strike gold.

Hackenberg didn't even suit up as a 3rd stringer in a year where Fitz, Geno and Petty all got hurt so I assume he's still considered a project at best. Petty probably showed enough to get a chance to compete. McKown looks like a safety net to me.

i expect the Jets to bring someone else in either through the draft or otherwise. The 6 spot seems like a stretch, but with QB's you just never know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The owner would probably love to bring Romo in, but honestly that doesn't look like it makes any sense for the team or the player.

Not to split hairs but I'm pretty sure the Jets have actually drafted a QB 5 of the last 6, two in a row for Maccagnan. Maybe he's like a lot of posters here...draft one until you strike gold.

Hackenberg didn't even suit up as a 3rd stringer in a year where Fitz, Geno and Petty all got hurt so I assume he's still considered a project at best. Petty probably showed enough to get a chance to compete. McKown looks like a safety net to me.

i expect the Jets to bring someone else in either through the draft or otherwise. The 6 spot seems like a stretch, but with QB's you just never know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The owner would probably love to bring Romo in, but honestly that doesn't look like it makes any sense for the team or the player.

This is why I shake my head when I hear people say the Bills need to draft 2 QBs a year until we find our franchise guy. If you have to draft QBs like buying scratch tickets it shows a) you have no ability to assess talent and b) you think the right guy will just show up knowing how to play. We have a project on the team. His name is Cardale Jones. Are done with him already? Is it on to the next shiny toy?

When you draft a QB high you are making a 3 year commitment to him. If you don't want to do that then don't waste the draft pick.

This is why I shake my head when I hear people say the Bills need to draft 2 QBs a year until we find our franchise guy. If you have to draft QBs like buying scratch tickets it shows a) you have no ability to assess talent and b) you think the right guy will just show up knowing how to play. We have a project on the team. His name is Cardale Jones. Are done with him already? Is it on to the next shiny toy?

When you draft a QB high you are making a 3 year commitment to him. If you don't want to do that then don't waste the draft pick.

Tell that to the Carolina Panthers. I guess they should've stuck with Clausen instead of taking Cam.

Tell that to the Carolina Panthers. I guess they should've stuck with Clausen instead of taking Cam.

Clausen was a mid 2nd round pick, which wouldn't qualify as high for me (I can't defend PTR's stance on what he considers high though). I'd be for a QB at 44 this year if the right one is there, but 10 is too high imo.

As far as the Jets go, I suppose Hack was picked almost the same place as Clausen. And oddly enough he seems to be just as replaceable :lol: And Petty was a 4th, just like Cardale.

Also, no matter what you've done in the past or who is on your roster, you don't pass on a QB prospect you like when they are available at your pick. And that's something I'm sure we can agree on.

Clausen was a mid 2nd round pick, which wouldn't qualify as high for me (I can't defend PTR's stance on what he considers high though). I'd be for a QB at 44 this year if the right one is there, but 10 is too high imo.

As far as the Jets go, I suppose Hack was picked almost the same place as Clausen. And oddly enough he seems to be just as replaceable :lol: And Petty was a 4th, just like Cardale.

Also, no matter what you've done in the past or who is on your roster, you don't pass on a QB prospect you like when they are available at your pick. And that's something I'm sure we can agree on.

Again, if you are just taking flyers on guys, why waste a pick on a dud QB when you could actually find a player who can contribute at another position?

You know, I was going to argue the Panthers could have used the Clausen pick on someone better but there honestly was no one better in the second or third round.

You know, I was going to argue the Panthers could have used the Clausen pick on someone better but there honestly was no one better in the second or third round.

I think that's important to consider too. It's not like drafting a non-QB is a sure thing either.

I sincerely hope the Jest burn their top six pick on a QB. That means a blue chip talent has a better chance of falling to us.

Them and one other team, would be sweet...

I figured out which team told Davis Webb he was a 1st rd pick. It all makes sense now.

Lol, good stuff!!

So drafting a QB every year doesn't work?

Not until you find "the one" or luck into finding "the one".