Big Cuts to the Environmental Protection Agency

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't they work on BP's fine?

And monitored air and water quality, and approved the dispersants used by BP and the Coast Guard.

Superfund sites aside, that's really all they do in any sort of response. Monitor, and fine. I mean...there's a reason the EPA couldn't clean up their own toxic waste spill: because they don't clean up toxic waste spills.

The idea that pollution is never going to get cleaned up if the EPA has their budget cut is laughable.

And monitored air and water quality, and approved the dispersants used by BP and the Coast Guard.

Superfund sites aside, that's really all they do in any sort of response. Monitor, and fine. I mean...there's a reason the EPA couldn't clean up their own toxic waste spill: because they don't clean up toxic waste spills.

The idea that pollution is never going to get cleaned up if the EPA has their budget cut is laughable.

EPA conducts and supervises investigation and cleanup actions at sites where oil or hazardous chemicals have been or may be released into the environment. Cleanup activities take place at active and abandoned waste sites, federal facilities and properties, and where any storage tanks have leaked. EPA, other federal agencies, states or municipalities, or the company or party responsible for the contamination may perform cleanups. Cleanup can also include site reuse and redevelopment.

So this is a lie?

EPA conducts and supervises investigation and cleanup actions at sites where oil or hazardous chemicals have been or may be released into the environment. Cleanup activities take place at active and abandoned waste sites, federal facilities and properties, and where any storage tanks have leaked. EPA, other federal agencies, states or municipalities, or the company or party responsible for the contamination may perform cleanups. Cleanup can also include site reuse and redevelopment.

So this is a lie?

Yes. Because if you look at the examples they provide in that very link, it's always other people leading the effort or doing the work with the EPA assisting.

Yes. Because if you look at the examples they provide in that very link, it's always other people leading the effort or doing the work with the EPA assisting.

I find your thinking hypocritical. You choose which you want from the agency:

A) Assist with the cleanup and have the responsible parties pay for the remediation then and there (maybe send grants to help cleanup)

-OR-

B) Actually clean up the sites of hazardous waste and send a bill (upfront the costs for cleanup). Then send a bill to the responsible parties.

If the EPA cleaned things up, you'd complain about how expensive it is. If they do what they currently do, the EPA is unnecessary. It's a lose-lose to you.

And you know full well they wouldn't get a fraction of the upfront costs back in a do the work and bill later scenario.

EPA : "You must buy our piece of paper"

EPA : You must renew your piece of paper"

EPA: "We're hear to check za paperz"

EPA: "Your paperz are not in za order"

Boom we're in the 1970's WW2 movies we watched as kids with the leather jacketed "VEE have vays uf making you speak" dudes on corners demanding our "Paperz"

Love the abandoned spray painted gas stations on every corner where you can't build a mall or condo, you !@#$s.

I find your thinking hypocritical. You choose which you want from the agency:

A) Assist with the cleanup and have the responsible parties pay for the remediation then and there (maybe send grants to help cleanup)

-OR-

B) Actually clean up the sites of hazardous waste and send a bill (upfront the costs for cleanup). Then send a bill to the responsible parties.

If the EPA cleaned things up, you'd complain about how expensive it is. If they do what they currently do, the EPA is unnecessary. It's a lose-lose to you.

And you know full well they wouldn't get a fraction of the upfront costs back in a do the work and bill later scenario.

I'm commenting not on the EPA, but on gatorman's complete lack of understanding of it.

Personally, I'm fine with their mission as structured (the execution leaves something to be desired, however.) But let's not pretend that oil spills won't get cleaned up ever, ever again if their budget is slashed by 20%. Discuss the actual issue, rather than making up bull ****.

Without a sheriff in town, maybe more oil spills happen when their budget get slashed by 20%?

As you all know, I work with the USACE... Our Trump budget is looking @ 17% cut, or about a BILLION dollars. I am not worried because boats still have to pass and economy has to roll. But, don't fool yourself, as the infrastructure ages (going on 60 years with no major rehab) we will be putting out a lot more "fires" than we have to than if we had the money and were proactively preventing disruptions to the region & nation's shipping economy.

Same thing with the EPA, they will be less proactive and more reactionary.

I'm commenting not on the EPA, but on gatorman's complete lack of understanding of it.

Personally, I'm fine with their mission as structured (the execution leaves something to be desired, however.) But let's not pretend that oil spills won't get cleaned up ever, ever again if their budget is slashed by 20%. Discuss the actual issue, rather than making up bull ****.

So you are lamely attacking the messenger. Par for the course with you

Why do you bring up the fact that he only got 46% of the vote? Is that supposed to mean something?

I mean, it does mean something. It means HIllary lost. But are you trying to suggest that after beating the most corrupt and deceptive candidate ever, that somehow the problem with this country is Trump?

When limos are burning and traffic is blocked and police are beaten and women are dressed like vaginas, you think Trump is the sole reason the country is divided politically?

No. This country was divided long before Trump was on the scene. I simply bring it up because if he follows through with all his promises more than half of the country will still disapprove of him so how is he going to expand his base? Hillary had the charisma of a dead rat and is one of the most corrupt politicians to ever run. If he doesn't find a way to expand his base he won't win in 2020 as they'll be a candidate way more likable than Hillary come 2020. I think investing in infrastructure is key as people can actually see a president making improvements to the crappy roads they drive on every day.

No. This country was divided long before Trump was on the scene. I simply bring it up because if he follows through with all his promises more than half of the country will still disapprove of him so how is he going to expand his base? Hillary had the charisma of a dead rat and is one of the most corrupt politicians to ever run. If he doesn't find a way to expand his base he won't win in 2020 as they'll be a candidate way more likable than Hillary come 2020. I think investing in infrastructure is key as people can actually see a president making improvements to the crappy roads they drive on every day.

If he follows through on his promises, and otherwise performs competently in the role, he will begin to pick up many "never Trump" conservatives and libertarians.

So you are lamely attacking the messenger. Par for the course with you

No, I'm concretely and empirically pointing out the messenger has his head up his ass.

When did refuting your stupidity with objective fact become "attacking the messenger?" Used to be it was called "debate," way back in history, before it was called "obfuscation." You really are a !@#$ing moron.

No, I'm concretely and empirically pointing out the messenger has his head up his ass.

When did refuting your stupidity with objective fact become "attacking the messenger?" Used to be it was called "debate," way back in history, before it was called "obfuscation." You really are a !@#$ing moron.

No, you are just being stupid. The EPA has something to do, directly and indirectly and especially with financing, in dealing with oil spills. I showed you that but yet again, you ignore the evidence. You must be a really frustrated person

Here Tom, the EPA and oil spills

https://www.epa.gov/emergency-response/epas-response-techniques

Describe the EPA's response to Deepwater Horizon.

In reality or in the movie?

If he follows through on his promises, and otherwise performs competently in the role, he will begin to pick up many "never Trump" conservatives and libertarians.

Yep.

No, you are just being stupid. The EPA has something to do, directly and indirectly and especially with financing, in dealing with oil spills. I showed you that but yet again, you ignore the evidence. You must be a really frustrated person

[This is an automated response.]

This ridiculous verbiage is brought to you by...

Created by DC Tom-bot, beta version 0.7.

Tell us again about the Federal Reserve.

They don't actually DO any of that, though.

It's actually the Coast Guard that cleans up oil spills, as I recall.

You mean how its part of the Federal Government? :thumbsup:

Still wrong... :lol: