Things Taylor did on the field in 2016 that kept him around

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deep ball went to 12th to 27th.

Remember when the defense went from 4th to 19th? What did you call that?

You know what.....point taken. It did get way worse.

There were reasons for it but I know you dont care about that. It needs to get back to where it was the year prior

I have an open mind. I am willing to be convinced Lord Tyrod is the 26th starting QB instead of the 28th where I currently have him slotted.

mighty open minded of you.

The clock is ticking on Tyrod and the posters who keep trying to sell him to everyone else.

Year three is on the way, and the excuses are running out.

Hopefully these guys will find another bum to obsess over once this experiment runs it's course.

And lol to anyone who thinks Tyrod is better than Wentz. One guy actually ran an offense and made calls at the line in a much more complex system as opposed to Taylor who has little to no ability to change plays. Wentz as a rookie is much more the QB than Taylor in his sixth season in the pros. Manning had a lot of turnovers in his rookie season, too...it's because these guys are learning how to run a real passing offense.

No one...and I mean no one would take Taylor over Wentz. Anyone who thinks it's even debatable shouldn't be taken seriously when discussing football.

Clock is ticking for everyone.

Clearly you don't have a clue how much longer Taylor will be in Buffalo, though.

Remember how stupidly adamant you were that he'd be gone and how giddy and excited you were about insulting those of us who thought he'd be back?

You can "lol" all you want about Taylor vs Wentz. Taylor outplayed Wentz in 2016, so I don't know why you would arrogantly call people out if they chose Taylor over him. Wentz might very well have an RG3 nosedive. Who knows?

Does this board have an ignore feature I'm not seeing? It's not too hard to tell who the trolls are around here, and the one in this thread has finally tested my patience enough.

Thanks for compiling all the research transplant. It's good to know you didn't lose everything in the BBMB purge. One bit of research I keep thinking of doing, but never find time to do, is an analysis on how QBs perform without their top receiver(s). There seemingly aren't any articles out there that have tried to find out what the effect is, and I'm curious to know how Tyrod's regression after losing Watkins might compare to other QBs.

Jim Kelly and Steve Tasker had a great season throwing and catching passes when the main WRs were done.

Deep ball went to 12th to 27th.

Remember when the defense went from 4th to 19th? What did you call that?

Yeah... that's what's going to happen when you have Sammy healthy for 12/14 games you play in 2015 vs a hobbled Sammy in only 7/15 games in 2016.

Do people honestly not understand this?

Taylor is not Brady. He's not going to elevate the guys around him. Those guys are incredibly rare and if that's the bar you're setting, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

But what Taylor might be (and there's evidence to support this) is a guy whose play itself will be more than adequate for a serious playoff run if he has some legitimate, healthy weapons and an above average (not Elite, but definitely above average) defense.

This team has been snakebit in so many ways. Just gotta hope it stops.

Jim Kelly and Steve Tasker had a great season throwing and catching passes when the main WRs were done.

As I just said, everyone who has their bar set at "1st ballot HOFer" like Kelly or Brady should brace themselves for likely being disappointed for the rest of their lives.

That's a mighty high bar. And it's unnecessary for it to be that high.

Yeah... that's what's going to happen when you have Sammy healthy for 12/14 games you play in 2015 vs a hobbled Sammy in only 7/15 games in 2016.

Taylor is not Brady. He's not going to elevate the guys around him. Those guys are incredibly rare and if that's the bar you're setting, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

But what Taylor might be (and there's evidence to support this) is a guy whose play itself will be more than adequate for a serious playoff run if he has some legitimate, healthy weapons and an above average (not Elite, but definitely above average) defense.

As I just said, everyone who has their bar set at "1st ballot HOFer" like Kelly or Brady should brace themselves for likely being disappointed for the rest of their lives.

Agreed he's good enough to get us a playoff run.

But that's nothing but a straw man that people are setting the bar at Brady. Nobody is except in Tyrod fanboy imaginations.

Hard to care. The only thing that should matter is being competitive for the Super Bowl, and he simply doesn't look good enough to do that without a defense spectacular enough to get there with someone like Trent Dilfer, and defenses like that are rare. Generally around one team every ten years or so wins an SB without a top ten to twelve QB. That's the bar. And it seems very very unlikely Tyrod will clear it.

He's on the roster so it's worth hoping for but QBs getting that good suddenly in their 7th year are spectacularly rare.

I've been down this path and beaten you a hundred times already.

The Bills lead the NFL in big plays in 2016........and in 2015.

They had more big pass plays in 2015.......Sammy was healthy.

They had less big pass plays in 2016........Sammy was not healthy.

But YES.......this is a run based offense........their passing game design was a running joke............Taylor has never been comfortable throwing the ball in shotgun after taking snaps from center all his life.

This stuff has all been touched on numerous times in argument, in detail by Cover 1 etc..

Sammy was relatively healthy. And teams hadn't figured out how to defend Tyrod. That was a part of it too.

because the offense DIDNT suck....it was 6th in the NFL in points

And 16th in yards, which is a stat which far better isolates the offense. Points has a ton of input from defense and STs. Hell, our defense scored points, and was tied for 9th in doing so. They also, with the STs, gave the offense average field position in the top ten.

No, they didn't suck, but they were not good. And most of the reason they were as good as they were was the run game. The run game was #1 in the league, the pass game well below average. And again we were the only team to score less than 50% of our offensive touchdowns in the pass game. And we didn't even get very close, at 40%.

Enough with this argument. Points isn't a QB stat in much of any way ... hell it doesn't even isolate the offense well. It pretends that a pick six from your defense shows that your offense was terrific, or that a punt runback to the one that ends up as a 4th down field goal is three points scored by the offense.

But that's nothing but a straw man that people are setting the bar at Brady. Nobody is except in Tyrod fanboy imaginations.

Hard to care. The only thing that should matter is being competitive for the Super Bowl, and he simply doesn't look good enough to do that without a defense spectacular enough to get there with someone like Trent Dilfer, and defenses like that are rare. Generally around one team every ten years or so wins an SB without a top ten to twelve QB. That's the bar. And it seems very very unlikely Tyrod will clear it.

He's on the roster so it's worth hoping for but QBs getting that good suddenly in their 7th year are spectacularly rare.

Sammy was relatively healthy. And teams hadn't figured out how to defend Tyrod. That was a part of it too.

With an improved defense he's good enough to get us a playoff run. W/o one he's proven he can't.

I'd also like to say that an improved defense won't help TT's abilities and make him a super star if he can't fix what needs to be fixed.

I don't TT making a serious playoff run anytime soon. He may back into the playoffs with a good defense and good pass catchers/good running backs, but that's it, IMO. That makes him no better than Brian Hoyer or Kyle Orton.

I think he's a player who teams with good defenses can absolutely shut down..

Edited by FireChan

Exactly, it was a brief look that culminated in that Miami game.

That look should have been their impetus to go out and fill that #2 WR slot with talent.......but they gambled on a bunch of ball droppers named Hankerson, Little and Boykin and ended up with a sh*t show by midseason 2016.

You know your work is boring and pointless......yep, you called it......congratulations. :thumbsup:

I agree with your point but don't that your example is proof.

Edited by Triple Threat

They were leaving "no stone unturned" man. I must have missed when they were looking at Glennon, but I remember seeing a thread of some sort that Siemian was to be interviewed or talked to, something along those lines. But some of your post do come off as fact when they are obviously your opinion, which you are entitled to.

I read, but cannot recollect the source, that the Bills and another team (Jets?) were interested in Glennon, but when the salary went beyond 8 to 10 million per year, they dropped out. I think it's clear OBD valued Taylor at a reduced price only, whether one calls that surmise or fact.

With an improved defense he's good enough to get us a playoff run. W/o one he's proven he can't.

I'd also like to say that an improved defense won't help TT's abilities and make him a super star if he can't fix what needs to be fixed.

With Tyrod it's the same as when Fitz was here wishing for a mircle in a QB driven league. If everything else goes perfectly we can wish on a star. Fitz got everything he needed from other teams that many said it was all he needed here, now we are in the exact same position with Tyrod. I'm sick of wishing I want a talent at QB that is good enough to get the job done in this QB driven league. I hope a mircle happens but most will agree this team is nowhere close to having all the pieces needed for said mircle to what Fitz got on other teams so this season in my opinion will be lucky to even match Tyrod first year as a starter with Rex, no playoffs once again and another off season still in need of the most important position in the NFL.

A playoff run is winning a couple playoff games, unless you have your own definition. If you're good enough to get to the conference championship, anything can happen regarding getting to the Super Bowl.

Except for the fact that the guy I responded to directly referenced Jim Kelly, a 1st ballot HOFer.

So some form of a comparison was being made of Taylor to a 1st ballot HOFer.

No straw man, whatsoever, except for all the straws you're grasping at now....

BAAAZIINNNG!!!!

A playoff run is winning a couple playoff games, unless you have your own definition. If you're good enough to get to the conference championship, anything can happen regarding getting to the Super Bowl.

Then by that definition Tyrod is not good enough to go on a playoff run. Maybe if the Bills were in a weak division Bills could sneak in. Only way Tyrod could get to playoffs is by being carried by a top 5 defense.

Bills would get smoked as under Tyrod Bills always lose to teams with .500 or better records.

Then by that definition Tyrod is not good enough to go on a playoff run. Maybe if the Bills were in a weak division Bills could sneak in. Only way Tyrod could get to playoffs is by being carried by a top 5 defense.

Bills would get smoked as under Tyrod Bills always lose to teams with .500 or better records.

By that definition...?

Who wouldn't define a "run" as winning at least a couple games?

Considering our new HC and what he did 2 years ago on defense, I have hope.

Edited by transplantbillsfan