Things Taylor did on the field in 2016 that kept him around

That's some good analysis there. A little scattershot but I appreciate the effort you took to compile this. I'm not sold on Tyrod after this past year but I think we'll find out what we have in him if folks stay healthy and the defense starts turning things around.

Agree, and that's a very fair take on the situation. Also I will add, IMO I think we will see a pretty noticeable improvement especially since Taylor and the OC are familiar with one another. That will be a factor also that can only help.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this board have an ignore feature I'm not seeing? It's not too hard to tell who the trolls are around here, and the one in this thread has finally tested my patience enough.

Thanks for compiling all the research transplant. It's good to know you didn't lose everything in the BBMB purge. One bit of research I keep thinking of doing, but never find time to do, is an analysis on how QBs perform without their top receiver(s). There seemingly aren't any articles out there that have tried to find out what the effect is, and I'm curious to know how Tyrod's regression after losing Watkins might compare to other QBs.

Cam Newton won the MVP with Ted Ginn as his #1.

Matt Ryan was still pretty good when Julio Jones went down.

He's a game manager with legs and nothing more, he needs a supporting cast and a defense that doesn't put the game in his hands. Shady and Sammy healthy made all the difference in our offense and we all know what Rex did to the d

Does this board have an ignore feature I'm not seeing? It's not too hard to tell who the trolls are around here, and the one in this thread has finally tested my patience enough.

Thanks for compiling all the research transplant. It's good to know you didn't lose everything in the BBMB purge. One bit of research I keep thinking of doing, but never find time to do, is an analysis on how QBs perform without their top receiver(s). There seemingly aren't any articles out there that have tried to find out what the effect is, and I'm curious to know how Tyrod's regression after losing Watkins might compare to other QBs.

Some of exactly what you're talking about is right in the middle of the post, Hap.

Only the Jets and Chargers had more games missed by their #1 and #2 WRs... both teams obviously lost more games.

Just a guy who is tired of watching all of the sad bums that we trot out at qb. TT will fail again and it's easy to see from afar.

This streak runs all the way back to post Flutie. His 1-6 record vs .500 teams is all I need to see.

I can delete my posts if this is the only say good things about TT thread. Lmk.

no need for that, why delete the trolling posts or the repetitious "beating a dead horse" posts. no, they serve as entertainment. glad you can see from afar and base your facts on the past. I mean, being so certain he's going to fail and all.

I almost have an admiration for those who can see in to the future, almost.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

no need for that, why delete the trolling posts or the repetitious "beating a dead horse" posts. no, they serve as entertainment. glad you can see from afar and base your facts on the past. I mean, being so certain he's going to fail and all.

I almost have an admiration for those who can see in to the future, almost.

So in year 6 he's gonna learn how to throw a pass before the route has ended as well as simple slants over the middle ?

201 yards per game ain't gonna work

Losing to every .500 team minus the one led by Brissett also won't pay the bills.

It would be nice to see him turn it around and pair those sweet feet without the critically flawed passing game that leaves him in the Osweiler/Simien/Keenum tier.

More of the same is what I expect, but I guess you never know.

And by the way, Tyrod's "over the middle" problems have always been much more specific than that. His problems have been in the deep and intermediate middle of the field. He's always thrown well to the short middle and that muddies up the stats since for every QB around 70 - 80% of his passes are short (less than 10 yards according to ESPN, the source you always use for your stats). So yeah, when you throw in his good and plentiful short passes to the middle, it does indeed tend to overcome his infrequent and not as good use of the deep and intermediate middle.

Oh, and you're again using the words "over the middle" in a way that doesn't describe Tyrod's problem area. HIs problems aren't only between the hashes. Between the hashes is only about 12% of the field. Tyrod's problem area, again, is the deep and intermediate middle third of the field. He throws well outside the numbers but also for about three to four yards inside the numbers as well.

The deep and intermediate middle third is the problem area and you can't find stats for that area because there's no visible line there for people to quickly use to define it. So you have to look at every pass.

But that's not a problem. Everyone already knows this about Tyrod, the pundits, the coaches, everybody.

Do you not realize how ridiculous this sounds?

"It's not over the middle that's the problem, it's the deep and intermediate third. He can throw the ball just fine three yards inside the numbers, but once he's throwing it 4+ yards he's not good!"

Thurm, you talk about his numbers being skewed because he throws it short well, except Taylor had one of the lower YAC in the NFL and his YPA on those ESPN splits over the middle among those 12 other QBs is 8.7 YPA and behind only Cousins and Ryan.

So, it's pretty illogical for you to argue those numbers are skewed more than any other NFL QB.

You want to continue to argue that Taylor throws the ball inside the numbers up to 4 yards well but once it hits 5 yards and beyond he struggles, you go right ahead.

You keep on making these statements without anything to back it up. I'd love to see you back it up somehow.

Taylor was 16/25 for 261 yards. 2 TDs and 0 INTs with a Passer Rating of 125.6, according to PFF.

Sooo.... what... the majority of those completions were to the 3-4 yards just inside the numbers and the majority of those incompletions were 5+ yards inside the numbers?

Seriously?

And you already know that the deep middle portion of the field is an area the vast majority of NFL QBs very rarely throw to and constantly berating us with the "deep middle third" argument is inconsequential.

I've been here years.

And yes, I've still got sense and am still willing to point out the logical flaws in your arguments.

Yet, you're blinded by the logical flaws in your own... :doh:​​

So in year 6 he's gonna learn how to throw a pass before the route has ended as well as simple slants over the middle ?

201 yards per game ain't gonna work

Losing to every .500 team minus the one led by Brissett also won't pay the bills.

It would be nice to see him turn it around and pair those sweet feet without the critically flawed passing game that leaves him in the Osweiler/Simien/Keenum tier.

More of the same is what I expect, but I guess you never know.

year 3 as a starter. don't know how anyone can claim his time in baltimore as on field experience?

key phrase in your last sentence.

year 3 as a starter. don't know how anyone can claim his time in baltimore as on field experience?

key phrase in your last sentence.

Is there a difference between a two year starter going into his third year and a two year starter going into his seventh?

Some of exactly what you're talking about is right in the middle of the post, Hap.

Only the Jets and Chargers had more games missed by their #1 and #2 WRs... both teams obviously lost more games.

And again for the millionth time it did not matter who lined up as WR as they were open a lot, game in and game out per the All 22. Street FA, practice squad guys, WR #3, #4, #5, #6, TEs, etc it didn't effing matter as they were open. The WR, TE did their jobs and got open, the QB failed miserably and didn't get them the ball.

Enough of this he didn't have his top WRs as an excuse. It's lame and it's false!

Edited by old school

Did you wince after the Pittsburgh and Oakland games or did you just blame the defense ?

You seem like a CoT'er.

I was as disappointed as the next fan with those games and put blame on both sides of the ball as well as coaching. one thing is certain, you can cry B word and complain and it wont change a thing. so rather than do that I'll allow the off season/season to pan out and hope things get turned around on BOTH sides of the ball.

sorry, I'm old and ignorant to some of the slang out there, what !@#$ is a CoT'er?

I'm guessing he has compromising pictures of either Whaley or one of the Pegulas. I don't think he did anything to warrant his contract except being better than the rest of the dumpster full of available quarterbacks this offseason.

The Bills/Whaley did the smart move by signing him to a restructured deal just to make sure they weren't stuck with only Cardale, draft pick and a dumpster pick up.

Tyrod won't be the starting QB in 2018 and possibly as early December or earlier of 2017. The Bills will draft a QB of the future in the first couple rounds this year.

I was as disappointed as the next fan with those games and put blame on both sides of the ball as well as coaching. one thing is certain, you can cry B word and complain and it wont change a thing. so rather than do that I'll allow the off season/season to pan out and hope things get turned around on BOTH sides of the ball.

sorry, I'm old and ignorant to some of the slang out there, what !@#$ is a CoT'er?

Church of Tyrod. A true CoT'er would place none of the blame on Tyrod and solely the defense.

You're not ready for Sainthood yet. Lol ! Our answers will be here soon enough.

CoT.

Tyrod makes the running game. It's not the power blockers and Shady.

Bills don't pass the ball because they don't want to.

Bills put up points. All Tyrod. Not the offensive gameplan, offensive line, running backs or Shady or Sammy

Tyrod took a paycut because he wants more weapons, not because no one else wanted him.

Tyrod can't hit a slant pass because two different offensive coordinators decided not to use it in the gameplan.

Tyrod needs all-pro WR 1, WR 2, RB, TE, TE2, offensive line at every position. If he doesn't get that his results are not valid.

He will improve just billieve. All the other gm's around the league surely didn't.

What are you talking about?

When was Taylor available for all the other GMs around the league to go after?

Did you wince after the Pittsburgh and Oakland games or did you just blame the defense ?

You seem like a CoT'er.

I winced.

Taylor sucked in those games.

In fact, after the Steelers game, I wanted him benched and I wanted Jones to start the rest of the season.

I did all that, while also blaming the defense...

I can't stand it when people think it's gotta be only one or the other.