Best Concert You Saw at Rich(Ralph Wilson, New Era)Stadium?

The best one I saw was Todd Rundgren followed by Johnny and Edgar Winter - I think it was in 1979. That was the only time I got to see both brothers perform together. Peter Frampton was the headliner, but we didn't stay for that.

Honorable mention goes to J. Geils (joined by Greg Allman) followed by Johnny Winter followed by Yes - I believe it was 1975.

Edited by Azalin

They all sucked. I really never liked the big venues. Sound is awful as the wind blows is around. Anyway Yes 1977 was a perfect example. Donovan opened. Donovan?? Seriously? Then J. Geils. Don't remember much about their set. Bob Seger actually stole the show. We heard Alto Reed's sax wailing but couldn't see him on stage. We saw people pointing up and he was on top of the speaker stacks. :worthy: Then came Yes. My favorite band at the time. Well I think their music went over many people's heads and if i remember correctly they cut their set short after a frisbee hit Chris Squire's bass. Yes outdoors in the daylight just doesn't cut it.

I'll take Spyro Gyra in a small Jazz club like I saw last night any time.

G N' R with Metallica and Faith No More.

I was reading an article just the other day about that tour. What a cluster !@#$ that was. I saw The LA and Pasadena shows. James getting blown up by the pyrotechnics at one of their shows was Spinal Tappish.

I was there too.

Made it down to the floor about 20 feet on the right side of the stage in front of Townsend. It was so packed people were passing out standing up. If someone tried to move 20 feet away you had to lean away.

Best part of the show was just as they starting 'Love reign o'er me' it started to drizzle. Much needed since it was getting very warm.

I was there too ... I couldn't believe how calm it was that evening as well, temps in the mid 70's, low clouds, no breeze at all, the sound was perfect.

I've been to only 3 concerts at Rich Stadium, besides the Who and the Clash I also saw the Rolling Stones with Journey and George Thorogood and also was there 4th of July 1986 for the Grateful Dead with Tom Petty and Bob Dylan. TP and the Heartbreakers were Dylan's band for the day.

Depending on my mood on any given day, any one of those concerts were my favorite.

I forgot all about Spyro Gyra. Great musicians, but I hated the music. I saw them at a place called After Dark - it was way north on Transit road, right after you crossed into Niagara county.

They all sucked. I really never liked the big venues. Sound is awful as the wind blows is around. Anyway Yes 1977 was a perfect example. Donovan opened. Donovan?? Seriously? Then J. Geils. Don't remember much about their set. Bob Seger actually stole the show. We heard Alto Reed's sax wailing but couldn't see him on stage. We saw people pointing up and he was on top of the speaker stacks. :worthy: Then came Yes. My favorite band at the time. Well I think their music went over many people's heads and if i remember correctly they cut their set short after a frisbee hit Chris Squire's bass. Yes outdoors in the daylight just doesn't cut it.

What was Donovan rocking that day?

They didn't hit Buffalo the last time they were good, 1972...

They didn't hit Buffalo the last time they were good, 1972...

Debatable. They were great last year! I have a foggy memory of the daylight show a generation back..

I've heard so many people say that that was an urban legend, but it absolutely did start raining when they played that song. It was very cool

With all the responses from people who were there, I can put my foggy memory concerns aside, at least as far as the concert goes.

It happened. Even Kenny Jones remembers it.

K.JONES- We will be heading over in late October for some promotional gigs then we will be going full tilt after Christmas. As for playing Buffalo I sure would love to play there again. One of my greatest memories of my touring days with the WHO was in Buffalo in the early eighties.K.JONES- We will be heading over in late October for some promotional gigs then we will be going full tilt after Christmas. As for playing Buffalo I sure would love to play there again. One of my greatest memories of my touring days with the WHO was in Buffalo in the early eighties. We were doing the song “Love Reign O’er Me” just as Roger Daltry was singing that verse the skies over Rich Stadium opened up and the rain began to fall, you just can’t buy a moment like that. We were doing the song “Love Reign O’er Me” just as Roger Daltry was singing that verse the skies over Rich Stadium opened up and the rain began to fall, you just can’t buy a moment like that.

http://www.bestofwny.com/nightlife/rosscat/september.html

I remember being a little disappointed in the Clash. I was really looking forward to seeing them. But they sounded rushed and looked kinda stiff. I remember hearing they were really nervous before the show.

Yeah I knew it happened, i was there, but then through the years i had heard so many people doubting it, i began doubting myself....but alas, I knew it was true. All these years gone by, i really don't remember the clash, but i was just so happy to be able to see them, my judgement was probably prejudiced. David Johannson on the other hand had really no business being on that bill

With all the responses from people who were there, I can put my foggy memory concerns aside, at least as far as the concert goes.

It happened. Even Kenny Jones remembers it.

K.JONES- We will be heading over in late October for some promotional gigs then we will be going full tilt after Christmas. As for playing Buffalo I sure would love to play there again. One of my greatest memories of my touring days with the WHO was in Buffalo in the early eighties.K.JONES- We will be heading over in late October for some promotional gigs then we will be going full tilt after Christmas. As for playing Buffalo I sure would love to play there again. One of my greatest memories of my touring days with the WHO was in Buffalo in the early eighties. We were doing the song “Love Reign O’er Me” just as Roger Daltry was singing that verse the skies over Rich Stadium opened up and the rain began to fall, you just can’t buy a moment like that. We were doing the song “Love Reign O’er Me” just as Roger Daltry was singing that verse the skies over Rich Stadium opened up and the rain began to fall, you just can’t buy a moment like that.

http://www.bestofwny.com/nightlife/rosscat/september.html

I remember being a little disappointed in the Clash. I was really looking forward to seeing them. But they sounded rushed and looked kinda stiff. I remember hearing they were really nervous before the show.

I was reading an article just the other day about that tour. What a cluster !@#$ that was. I saw The LA and Pasadena shows. James getting blown up by the pyrotechnics at one of their shows was Spinal Tappish.

It was a great show with no real hitches outside of Slash breaking a string right after starting "Sweet Child O' Mine." Axl stopped the song so they could get him a new guitar and start over, saying "people already think we're a joke."

Never been to concert but my Grandmother had property on California road and could see the stadium.

Was 12 and watched the Doobie Brothers on August 25, 1974/

Chicago was headliner but Doobie Brothers was all I remember watching.

Cannot remember why did not watch Chicago, probably my family left.

Good resource if you can remember when.

http://shidoobeewithstonesdoug.yuku.com/topic/17296/Top-20-Concerts-at-Rich-Stadium-Buffalo-NY?page=1