Bills lose 3rd & 4th rd. draft picks in '18 due to stupidity

Estro

Actually, NE is coming out on top with comp picks right now.

I did. He didn't give any team 21 points in 1 minute.

Fair enough. I just don't see some of our "improvement" to be all that necessary.

I don't get what your saying there.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this is serious but I'll bite. The comp picks aren't determined two days into FA. There are Bills UFAs who will be signing elsewhere yet didn't fit into the first wave and will factor into the formula. The comp picks aren't set for many months.

it's true

I'm not disputing that but they still have to fill out their roster whether or not anyone likes how they do it. Again, they've more than earned their fair share of criticism over the last 17 years but too many on this board B word simply for the sake of bitching and you know it.

About the bitching? I may have taken notice.

But long term thinking and thorough management suggest this concept not be discounted.

Does it apply directly to this season? Not so much.

Still, conceptually. Its valid

While I generally agree with the OP that this should be a strategy to obtain more picks. I rant endlessly about trading down and the draft is nothing more than gambling.

But the OP could wait a few more days before going over the top. The Bills have lots of guys that can and will leave in FA. And the last two players signed are retained FA's.

Lastly, the cap moves are much more important than any comp picks in 2018. Whaley has freed up money to move down in the draft and get more picks for which cap space will be needed to sign. The cap space can be pushed to next year and used to extend Sammy.

For f sake, they take into account THE AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT THE FREE AGENT YOU LOSE MAKES.

Gilmore ON HIS OWN is making 14+ a year. Zach is TBD, Bobby woods is making 6+, Marquise is making 4. You spent that much time writing an essay about something we can't really say a damn thing about yet.

I don't get what your saying there.

I don't know how much of an improvement Vlad is.

For f sake, they take into account THE AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT THE FREE AGENT YOU LOSE MAKES.

Gilmore ON HIS OWN is making 14+ a year. Zach is TBD, Bobby woods is making 6+, Marquise is making 4. You spent that much time writing an essay about something we can't really say a damn thing about yet.

Again, not true, if your net losses is zero.

Great thread and very football astute

Our Bills are beyond foolish to throw away almost guaranteed 3rd, 4th round, and 5th round, 2018 picks

If you consider that the NFL came up with this compensation for teams like us that cannot resign our FA's

So it would idiotic and then some to negate getting free draft picks for losing Gilmore, Woods, & Zack, and maybe others

I mean why copy anything the PATS, RAVENS, and BRONCOS do annually?

We must know better, lol

And ya know what's worse, releasing players to supposedly save cap $$$$

Then having to sign FA's negating the comp picks

And marginal non-starting FA's to boot

I'm not saying this is the case yet, that any of the releases or FA's signings will zero out the 2018 picks

Yes it's very early on in free agency, and I generally like the job DW is trying to do here, ditto our new HC

However

If DW moves result in not getting a single comp draft pick in 2018 and I were the Pegula's I'd fire him on the spot

Because its incompetent

And I were a Bills beat reporter I'd ask him point blank if getting 2018 picks is in the plan....

jc

Nope Elite Poster

They do not take that into account if you sign more FA's than you lose

Its only applied if you lose more FA's than you sign

Of which our Bills have been doing annually, signing more than we lose

Mostly because we keep changing HC's, schemes, etc, and releasing players

I hope this clarifies how it works and fans here finally have a better understanding of the importance of getting comp picks

When you lose high profile FA's in which the NFL has a system to be re-imbursed, of course if you use it...

jc

Edited by wilcoam

Our Bills are beyond foolish to throw away almost guaranteed 3rd, 4th round, and 5th round, 2018 picks

If you consider that the NFL came up with this compensation for teams like us that cannot resign our FA's

So it would idiotic and then some to negate getting free draft picks for losing Gilmore, Woods, & Zack, and maybe others

We must know better, lol

I'm not saying this is the case yet, that any of the releases or FA's signings will zero out the 2018 picks

Yes it's very early on in free agency, and I generally like the job DW is trying to do here, ditto our new HC

However

If DW moves result in not getting a single comp draft pick in 2018 and I were the Pegula's I'd fire him on the spot

Because its incompetent

And I were a Bills beat reporter I'd ask him point blank if getting 2018 picks is in the plan....

jc

Nope Elite Poster

I hope this clarifies how it works and fans here finally have a better understanding of the importance of getting comp picks

When you lose high profile FA's in which the NFL has a system to be re-imbursed, of course if you use it...

jc

or get rid of them because they aren't good enough(remember how bad our defense was last season?) Should we keep the same roster and not replace those who left?

We must know better, lol

However

Because its incompetent

jc

Nope Elite Poster

jc

Just a suggestion, but you may want to wait until free agency is over before you B word about not having comp picks. Zach will likely get a sizable contract elsewhere.

As to the topic at hand, why don't we wait and see if/when Zach, Gragg, Bryant, Hunter, Tate, etc sign anywhere before we go blasting the organization for not betting a FA loss.

you beat me to it.

GUYS, GUYS, if we only carry 43 players on the roster this year it will TOTALLY pay dividends in 2018. I'm SO SICK of ST. DOUG getting PLAYED.

That would actually be funny if the Browns did this. Just sign a bunch of guys to 1 year deals then let them loose.