When Are Wonderlic Scores Revealed?

Gugny

Morris Claiborne scored a 4 on the Wonderlic!

Not a QB but still. And we are reported to be interested. Yikes!

Don't you get 4 points for finding the right room? That's the lowest I think I've ever heard of!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I majored in school psychology where the bulk of the program was how to give and interpret cognitive (IQ) and academic standardized tests. A student with an IQ of 105 who's reading skills are at a 76 would be diagnosed with a learning disability and in IEP would be drawn up to get her/him extra help.

A score of 15 on a Wonderlic means nothing because people have strengths and weaknesses in different areas that measure cognitive ability. My guess for a quarterback the two most important indicators of success would be information recall and processing speed. The ability to learn new information, store it, and retrieve it when appropriate (such as what happened last game when they were showing blitz on 3rd and 4 or reading different coverages, etc...). The second is processing speed as you have to take all that information and make make a quick decision within 3 and a half seconds or so when dropping back. Plus, being a hard worker, being cool under pressure, having a strong/accurate arm, being tall, and having some athleticism also helps.

"All incoming rookies should refuse to take the Wonderlic because the NFL consistently flunks the pass/fail test of keeping the results secret."

"No matter what the league does, no matter how many threats are made, the numbers get leaked."

-Mike Florio, ProFootballTalk

I agree. They're are as useless as these subtitles

enhanced-15854-1414493731-1.jpg

Edited by gr8billsfan

I majored in school psychology where the bulk of the program was how to give and interpret cognitive (IQ) and academic standardized tests. A student with an IQ of 105 who's reading skills are at a 76 would be diagnosed with a learning disability and in IEP would be drawn up to get her/him extra help.

A score of 15 on a Wonderlic means nothing because people have strengths and weaknesses in different areas that measure cognitive ability. My guess for a quarterback the two most important indicators of success would be information recall and processing speed. The ability to learn new information, store it, and retrieve it when appropriate (such as what happened last game when they were showing blitz on 3rd and 4 or reading different coverages, etc...). The second is processing speed as you have to take all that information and make make a quick decision within 3 and a half seconds or so when dropping back. Plus, being a hard worker, being cool under pressure, having a strong/accurate arm, being tall, and having some athleticism also helps.

And, being in control of ones emotions.

Or, one could save $30k/year, google NFL QB wonderlic scores, look at the historical data and see that every QB who's scored 15 or less since 2000 has sucked.

Or, one could save $30k/year, google NFL QB wonderlic scores, look at the historical data and see that every QB who's scored 15 or less since 2000 has sucked.

Well, if you score that low then it's highly likely you're not that bright across the board.

Well, if you score that low then it's highly likely you're not that bright across the board.

As O's and D's become more complex low wonderlic scores become more of a red flag for coaches/GM's when evaluating QB prospects IMO.

Tyrod Taylors low wonderlic score is offset by the elite skill set he exhibits and its very possible a more user friendly system in this case the West Coast O and innovative coaching may help Taylor/Bills overcome the obstacle in my humble opinion.

thanks OP for the interesting topic

As O's and D's become more complex low wonderlic scores become more of a red flag for coaches/GM's when evaluating QB prospects IMO.

Tyrod Taylors low wonderlic score is offset by the elite skill set he exhibits and its very possible a more user friendly system in this case the West Coast O and innovative coaching may help Taylor/Bills overcome the obstacle in my humble opinion.

thanks OP for the interesting topic

Offset?

Have you seen him play?

I stand corrected. It's a good baseline to prove to people you're not an idiot. Besides that, it doesn't mean much.

Most of the better QB's have good wonderlic scores so it must mean something.

with all due respect Doc

The obstacle in his cranium ?

This thread. Wooooo.

thats another way of putting it, haha

Most of the better QB's have good wonderlic scores so it must mean something.

with all due respect Doc

thats another way of putting it, haha

Well, you've had busts that have scored great on it (Blaine Gabbert - 42) (Christian Ponder - 34) (Matt Leinart - 35). I'm just saying that they could develop a better test that focused solely on the ability to learn and recall new information and processing speed tests available in standardized cognitive tests. These specific subtests would tell you a great deal more than a general intelligence test with poor test/retest reliability.

Well, you've had busts that have scored great on it (Blaine Gabbert - 42) (Christian Ponder - 34) (Matt Leinart - 35). I'm just saying that they could develop a better test that focused solely on the ability to learn and recall new information and processing speed tests available in standardized cognitive tests. These specific subtests would tell you a great deal more than a general intelligence test with poor test/retest reliability.

The QB position in the NFL requires an ability to process information/ make a determination swiftly and efficiently then make an athletic throw with accuracy while under pressure.

How a QB performs behind center in the NFL is the best test available in my humble opinion Doc.

Edited by Figster

...maybe Wonderlic scores should include universities these kids graduated (COUGH) from and an indexed based tuition refund for lower scores...oh wait...they don't pay ANY.....imagine how many signed their Letter of Intent with an "x", graduated (COUGH) with a diploma they couldn't read, got signed either via the draft or UDFA, and didn't stick with their NFL lifelong dream of "getting out" failed?...sorry for spouting off but these are kids used, abused and discarded......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

...maybe Wonderlic scores should include universities these kids graduated (COUGH) from and an indexed based tuition refund for lower scores...oh wait...they don't pay ANY.....imagine how many signed their Letter of Intent with an "x", graduated (COUGH) with a diploma they couldn't read, got signed either via the draft or UDFA, and didn't stick with their NFL lifelong dream of "getting out" failed?...sorry for spouting off but these are kids used, abused and discarded......

Good points. The scary thing is that these universities claim to be beacons of morality, and that the future of mankind depends on them. In reality they are money making machines who care very little about the well being of those they claim to serve. The bottom line is that it has worked. We're not all that far from a future we're you will need a college degree sweep floors. Yet people with Wonderlic scores under 15 walk away with diplomas. It's not just athletes, I come across these people on a daily basis. College sports are very disgusting if you think about it too much. With that said, I do love college football.

I took an online Wonderlic....scored a 48. While drinking.

Of course this high score is off set by my lack of height, a non NFL level arm, and the fact that I am not very fast.

Stop trying to get your old job back FITZ!

Edited by #34fan

The QB position in the NFL requires an ability to process information/ make a determination swiftly and efficiently then make an athletic throw with accuracy while under pressure.

How a QB performs behind center in the NFL is the best test available in my humble opinion Doc.

Right, but "how a QB performs behind center in the NFL" isn't available to teams looking to draft a quarterback.