Today I Learned....PartII

8 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Today I learned that one of the causes of the Mexican-American War of 1946 was the illegal immigration of Americans to the Mexican provinces of California and Texas.

Off topic: One of my favorite quotes came from Tommy Lasorda when asked about contract negotiations with Fernando Valenzuela: "He wants Texas back"

On topic: today I learned that I never pass up an opportunity to share my favorite quotes.

43 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Off topic: One of my favorite quotes came from Tommy Lasorda when asked about contract negotiations with Fernando Valenzuela: "He wants Texas back"

On topic: today I learned that I never pass up an opportunity to share my favorite quotes.

One of my favorites is about Captian Bernard Kelly, after he put the USS Enterprise on a sandbar outside of San Francisco: "He grounds the warship he walks on."

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

One of my favorites is about Captian Bernard Kelly, after he put the USS Enterprise on a sandbar outside of San Francisco: "He grounds the warship he walks on."

Have to admit I needed a double take on that one, but don't kill me when I repeat it a year or so from now. 

42 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I thought I was a clever with puns, but it took me a long time to figure that one out.

On 2/1/2018 at 10:58 AM, DC Tom said:

Today I learned that one of the causes of the Mexican-American War of 1946 was the illegal immigration of Americans to the Mexican provinces of California and Texas.

I learned we had a war with Mexico after WWII (1946) and nobody told us about it .....  

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I learned we had a war with Mexico after WWII (1946) and nobody told us about it .....  

I'm typing with a stitched-up finger, and that was my only typo.  I'm actually impressed with myself...(which is tougher than it sounds, as I usually think I'm an idiot.)

50 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I'm typing with a stitched-up finger, and that was my only typo.  I'm actually impressed with myself...(which is tougher than it sounds, as I usually think I'm an idiot.)

Did we win or lose war with Mexico?  Since Texas is part of US still I assume we lost.

On 2/3/2018 at 2:23 PM, DC Tom said:

Hope it’s just a flesh wound. 

On 2/1/2018 at 8:30 PM, DC Tom said:

That was Robert J. Kelly, in 1983.

One of the very few whose career survived such a thing.

13 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Feds should work on balancing books by fining cannabis workers.

It’s a legal business.   

Maybe if they legalize it federally then  it can be sold and taxed on the open market just like beer and wine and alcohol.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It’s a legal business.   

Maybe if they legalize it federally then  it can be sold and taxed on the open market just like beer and wine and alcohol.  

It is NOT legal; federal authorities choose not to prosecute which is not same thing.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

It is NOT legal; federal authorities choose not to prosecute which is not same thing.

It’s legal in DC, Cali, Colorado, to name a few. 

Thirty states and the District of Columbia currently have laws broadly legalizing marijuana in some form.

Eight states and the District of Columbia have adopted the most expansive laws legalizing marijuana for recreational use.

Most recently, sales of recreational-use marijuana in California kicked off on Jan. 1. In Massachusetts, retail sales of cannabis are expected to start later this year in July. 

Voters in Maine similarly approved a ballot measure legalizing marijuana in 2016.