Washington Fires GM Scot McCloughan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that whole thing with his dead grandmother was very strange

It was a stupid explanation for what really was a tawdry affair. The decision was alreday made to cut him loose. Much effort was exerted to make the organization look like the aggrieved party.

For the sake of argument because there may have been (or not) an issue with his drinking it was a despicable act to deliberately bring up the issue on the owner's radio station. The organization used a former player, Cooley, a radio host to drop this rumor on air. Whether it is true or not it is a disgustingly unethical thing to do.

Edited by JohnC

I get the feeling that he stood up to Snyder on Cousins. That makes at least as much sense as the anonymous source's story. And Snyder actually is that awful of a person.

Snyder sued people to pay up for season tickets, people who had lost their jobs when the economy tanked. He took these people to court, common folk like you or I, and didn't gaf if it buried them even further or not. A true rich prick.

WTF, why wait until the start of FA?

Right, so if it's been a disaster for 18 months, why not give him the ol' "heave-ho" after the season? Why wait until the start of FA and the combine?

....EXACTLY.... real class organization.....anybody know what Boy Danny Snyder's excuse has been since 1999?.....

@mikefreemanNFL

All I can tell you is people in front offices around NFL are strongly defending McCloughan to me. They are absolutely shredding Washington.

I live in VA so there are many fans, much TV coverage in general, and all their games are on around here. Hate them. Hate Snyder. Couldn't happen to a better franchise. Hope they become to next Cleveland, just a cesspool of football misery. But hey, at least they have the Wizards.

I was almost going to post this article the other day, but I didn't know where on the forum to post it. Pretty interesting read.

Here is the latest one, after he was fired. Bit different spin on this issue from the team. I'm guessing the truth lies somewhere in between. It'll be interesting to see if this makes it to the Commissioner, or even to court (over getting paid the last 2 years on his deal).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-fire-gm-scot-mccloughan-after-two-seasons/2017/03/09/652aa4f0-04fc-11e7-b9fa-ed727b644a0b_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.8439455f5aa2

As more information has come out in this sad affair my position has shifted. The Skins hired an alcoholic who before hiring him was fired by two franchises over the same issue of problem drinking. They knew that in advance. But they were willing to take a risk on him because he is recognized as one of the best talent evaluators in the league.

To this day McClu*** has not come to grips with his condition of being an alcoholic. He wrongly believes that he could still drink and control his drinking impulses. His self-denial of his problem is a classic signature of his addiction.

The Skins handled this delicate and tragic situation very clumsily. They hired a person who was an alcoholic yet didn't provide the proper support system for that problem. The Skins can be criticized for not handling this issue in a more sophisticated and sensitive manner. But the reality is that the former GM conducted himself in such a way that he could not be kept on the job.

This isn't a story that one should chortle over. It is a sad story of a person who is addicted and is still contending with his demons. I hope that he will get the help that he needs. But until he recognizes his problem he will not be able to deal with his problem. For the former GM the issue isn't so much about a job as it is about life and survival. I wish him the best.