The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

As Trump Shows Improvement, the Media Become More Unhinged

If you thought that few hours of graciousness shown by a couple of journalists following Trump’s COVID diagnosis was a sign of things to come, you’ve been let down hard over the last few days. But let’s be real, no one thought that was a sign of things to come.

We started with a day of freak out over Trump supposedly being on his death bed but the White House not being transparent enough. That has slowly morphed into more and more animosity and hostility as the President has shown evidence of improvement in his condition. In fact, we are even back to speculation that Trump has faked all this.

Trump took a ride to wave at supporters outside his hospital yesterday and that also set off the media. I’ll speculate that had Obama done this, it’d have been spun as an act of heroism, but I digress.

More at the link:

16 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

There are some excellent questions on that thread including why isn't the WHY press pool quarantining for 10 days?  Some of the questions are a hoot... imagine the screeching if they were made to answer the same questions they have asked about  the president!?

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

So brave of Steve (a Trump campaign team member), to swim in that quagmire of idiots and spout the same idiocy.

Yeah, Wallace standing up and being the lone voice of reason and journalistic integrity in the Fox news room about taking proper Covid-19 precautions was just so chicken-*****.

So this is what happens when someone breaks from the cult and speaks the truth? The revisionist come along and spout the same left-wing conspiracy nonsense. How original....so Wallace was a left-wing plant when he was hired by Fox back in 2003.

Just WOW....every time someone tries to help Trump-blinded conservatives rub a few brain cells together to get a spark you get the same echo-chamber mantra.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2003-10-29-0310290198-story.html

Regarding Wallace joining Fox back in 2003 (as mentioned, he is not some new-comer):

"But he became convinced after months of watching Fox News Channel that the network gets "an unfair rap. Its reporting is serious, thoughtful and evenhanded. ... If they wanted someone to push a political agenda, they wouldn't have hired me."

Wallace, 56, represents a shift for a network whose biggest stars (Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Brit Hume) are viewed as conservative. Tony Snow, current host of the Sunday show, had been a conservative columnist and worked for former President George Bush.

That means Wallace, who will also play a key role in Fox's presidential campaign coverage, will be its first front-line star since Hume to have made his name as a correspondent for one of the broadcast networks. Along with such moves as hiring Greta Van Susteren from CNN and co-sponsoring presidential debates with the Congressional Black Caucus, Fox seems to be inching toward more conventional journalism.

"Do I have political opinions? Absolutely," Wallace said. "But I vote for the person, and I've voted for Republicans and Democrats and independents over the course of my life. I feel very strongly that you try not to let that affect the way you report the news."

Fox News Chairman Roger Ailes called Wallace "one of the best interviewers in the business. ... I have no idea what he thinks personally, but he asks tough questions of everybody."

Ailes said hiring Wallace "makes it more difficult for our critics" who say the network tilts to the right.

James Wolcott of Vanity Fair, who has written critically of Fox, said Wallace "does give them a certain blue-chip quality. But you have to wonder how much a real professional journalist of the old school is going to resist the talking points that seem to get handed down. The test will be, will he fall in with the gang?"

Wallace:

Harvard Grad

17 years as a Fox news host - reputation for asking tough questions and not backing down from them.

Moderated the 2016 Republican debate

Was the first Fox reporter to get an interview with Obama, also interviewed Trump.

If folks think Wallace is some timid new-comer to tough reporting you should lookup and watch his incredibly rare 2018 interview with Putin.

Excerpt:

PUTIN (THROUGH TRANSLATOR): Well, first of all, all of us have plenty of political rivals. I’m pretty sure President Trump has plenty of political rivals.

WALLACE: But they don’t end up dead.

PUTIN: Well, not always — well, haven’t presidents been killed in the United States? Have you forgotten about — well, has Kennedy been killed in Russia or in the United States? Or Mr. King? What — and what happens to the clashes between police and, well, civil society, and some — several ethnic groups? Well, that’s something that happens on the U.S. soil. All of us have our own set of domestic problems.

But going back to what happened in Russia, yes. We do have crime and we unfortunately — there are some crimes. And to some extent, Russia’s statehood is maturing. And there are some side effects. And we prosecute people responsible for these crimes. But since you’ve mentioned the Skripal case, we would like to get at least some sort of a document, evidence about it. But nobody gives it to us. It’s the same thing as the accusations with meddling into the election process in America. We recently heard that two more people suffered from the same nerve agent that is called Novichok. I have never even heard the last names of these persons. Who are they? What —

WALLACE: Supposedly they picked up the bottle that was used to attack Skripal.

20 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The tirade Jen Rubin went on today is gonna get her picked up on a 72 hour involuntary. It was a display of insanity.

This from a blue check WaPo & MSNBC contributor.  A rapid fire unhinged rant the likes of which puts our most TDS addled posters to shame. She needs to seek serious professional help ASAP.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

It is like there has been a mass escape from a psychiatric hospital.  They mental need help. Lots of it.

Do you need a ride back to the mental hospital? I know you don't like the white coats but they can keep you from your fake bull####.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

It is like there has been a mass escape from a psychiatric hospital.  They need mental help. Lots of it.

Trump's downplaying of Covid-19 coupled with how many of his zealots followed his antiscience approach to a pandemic that does not care about politics has many folks crowing - it is to be expected along with the lack of sympathy when there is karmic, laughable, irony.

When he fought back against wearing a mask, or mask mandates and accused Biden of politicizing proven scientific precautions that Americans should take to minimize the spread of Covid-19. What do the denizens of Trumptopia expect?

The focus on his health and all the ways he and his family flouted breaking the pandemic safety protocols is a bit over the top for my taste, I don't think you have to put things in size 48 bolded font when someone does something stupid. You can whisper it and it is probably enough... folks know when someone has done something stupid and indefensible.

It is an election year and any gaffe can and will get blown out of proportion, but the complete lack of cohesive, informed US Federal leadership over the course of this pandemic, with Trump's constant stream of misinformation from his touting that the pandemic would disappear like a miracle, to touting miraculous unproven cures, to his claims of a vaccine being ready long before one will be. We are sitting at a gaffe that equates to over 200,000 US deaths. This is not a small thing, he is sitting at the captain's wheel, and it was his job to handle this crisis responsibly.

I guess we can be grateful that this pandemic has not been some mutant easily transmissible ebola strain effecting folks of all ages with equally deadly results, but it has been deadly enough. It should be a sober warning shot across the bow for both political parties and the federal government about better preparation and to never play politics with a health crisis like a pandemic. 

On 3/2/2017 at 9:41 PM, DC Tom said:

Seems low.

True. It should be 100%

The media has gone too easy on him.

“The baby is born, the mother meets with the doctor, they take care of the baby, they wrap the baby beautifully, and then the doctor and the mother determine whether or not they will execute the baby.” Trump then put on an incredulous tone. “You hear late term, but this is where the baby is born, it’s there, it’s wrapped, that’s it,” Trump said as he made a guillotine motion with his hand, as if he were implying that the baby’s head would be sliced off.

• Like (+1) 1