Foles will be a FA after Chiefs unlikely to pick up option

YoloinOhio

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you on drafting a QB. My problem is there is no QB in this class that's worthy of the number 10 pick. No doubt a QB will be taken before that because of the value of the QB position and the desperation of teams to find their franchise QB.

Kizer - just not impressed when I saw him play. Big arm very slow eyes and vision. No thanks.

Watson - When has this type of QB been very successful? I want a pocket passer with great vision, quick release, and accuracy. I don't see these necessary qualities in Watson. Good work ethic and good legs only goes so far...No thanks

Mahomes - Pretty raw and needs time to develop. Played against many porous defenses that made him look really good. Need to be more accurate, better field vision and decision making. Will need at least two years to develop and learn. Should be a late 2nd to 3rd round pick. Yes, to a second round pick.

Trubisky - Small sample size to look at. Kid seemed to panic when pressured. Played mostly in the shotgun. Has big upside but IMHO he is greatly overhyped. I can see why people are high on him. He will most likely be gone before 10. I feel like he should be taken late in the first round.

This QB class really doesn't excite me.

Agree with the above, to add Mahomes doesn't line up under center either. That's a big issue.

I would expect the Bills to have an interest in Nick Foles when he becomes a FA, to at least fill EJ's spot. He is a good fit for WCO, and familiar with David Culley. Drafted in Philly and later signed in KC by Andy Reid, who mcdermott trusts. Went to playoffs with Shady in Philly, who had a 1300 yards the year he played with foles.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785994/article/chiefs-likely-will-pass-on-nick-foles-option?campaign=Twitter_atn

Couldn't see them keeping Tyrod and going after Foles as well, as I would guess he won't come for the $2 or $3 mill you want to pay a backup.

IMHO he'd be in play if they let Tyrod go.

Don't really know enough about him to say much more than that with what I know right now I wouldn't mind.

Not really a report. Just speculation based on what Dunne said. Cut Tyrod and "start over" with Foles.

That should be fun.... and a waste of a season.

Wouldn't be a waste if during that season they got their salary cap issues under control, did a good job of inputting the system and getting everybody familiar with the terminology and their roles and did a good job drafting. Not a waste at all.

Me neither. We should avoid drafting a QB completely, this year.

Draft a QB in 2018, much better class.

You do remember that a year ago they were all saying this year's class was going to be excellent.

Happens nearly every year there's no Luck at the top - next year's the year to get someone.

Couldn't see them keeping Tyrod and going after Foles as well, as I would guess he won't come for the $2 or $3 mill you want to pay a backup.

IMHO he'd be in play if they let Tyrod go.

Don't really know enough about him to say much more than that with what I know right now I wouldn't mind.

Wouldn't be a waste if during that season they got their salary cap issues under control, did a good job of inputting the system and getting everybody familiar with the terminology and their roles and did a good job drafting. Not a waste at all.

You do remember that a year ago they were all saying this year's class was going to be excellent.

Happens nearly every year there's no Luck at the top - next year's the year to get someone.

Whaley should be stockpiling picks regardless. Always have some bank, just in case.

Yes because during the season I really give a **** about the cap. They go with Foles they'll win 6 games or less.

They don't have long term cap issues.

What does you "Yes" refer to? Wasting a season?

As for whether you're concerned about the cap during the season ... um, I'm not really concerned with whether or not you're concerned with it. I'm concerned with it all the time. It means a lot to what you can do with a team.

You have no earthly idea yet whether or not we have long-term cap issues. Chances are we do, though there are ways around it. We've got very few guys signed up this year who show signs of being around after camp. Somewhere around 30. Where do we fill those spots? How do we pay the people we bring in? Do we restructure people like Dareus this year to kick the problem down the road as suggested in an article here?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/2/18/14657012/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-contract-restructure-marcell-dareus-cordy-glenn

There's a very good chance that we do have cap problems in 2018, not least because our GM is Doug Whaley and he's slowly, consistently worked us into serious cap problems. And he's still here.

So again, it would be the exact opposite of a wasted season if they get the cap under control, do a good job of inputting the new system and did a good job drafting. It would be laying the foundation for what could maybe eventually be a team that could be competitive for a title. That blows the hell out of upgrading from maybe five to eight wins this season. About as much of a waste as it is digging the foundation before you start putting on the rooftiles when you build a house.

Whaley should be stockpiling picks regardless. Always have some bank, just in case.

I'm with you there. Start trading back and accumulating picks.

Edited by Thurman#1

I don't see the Bills making the WC next season. New coaches , new playbooks , player turnover.

If Taylor will not renegotiate for a good incentive contract and let go , Foles would be a ok bridge and maybe future backup.

They go with Foles they'll win 6 games or less.

Or about the same amount of wins if they keep Tyrod, and him playing in a new system. Easy decision for DW really, you go with the cheaper option as it most likely translates to the same results on the field. Edited by old school

Or about the same amount of wins if they keep Tyrod, and him playing in a new system. Easy decision for DW really, you go with the cheaper option as it most likely translates to the same results on the field.

The only part of this that makes me come off my stance is the learning of the new system thing

I have always maintained that TT is a system qb.......if the new system does not play to his strengths then we have to go in another direction

If its WCO.....that might force that change because TT hangs onto the ball longer then a lot of qbs

Or about the same amount of wins if they keep Tyrod, and him playing in a new system. Easy decision for DW really, you go with the cheaper option as it most likely translates to the same results on the field.

If indeed it does translate to to the same results.

This had better be the Coach's call and not Whaleys.

Winning is all that matters once the season begins.

If indeed it does translate to to the same results.

Winning is all that matters once the season begins.

what it comes down to for me is how drastic is the offensive scheme change from last season

we were 7th overall in points......people can complain about the lack of passing yards....it does not change the fact that we wee 7th overall in points scored with a defense that could not stop anybody.

If its a WCO offense.....then TT does not fit it......simple as that

What does you "Yes" refer to? Wasting a season?

As for whether you're concerned about the cap during the season ... um, I'm not really concerned with whether or not you're concerned with it. I'm concerned with it all the time. It means a lot to what you can do with a team.

You have no earthly idea yet whether or not we have long-term cap issues. Chances are we do, though there are ways around it. We've got very few guys signed up this year who show signs of being around after camp. Somewhere around 30. Where do we fill those spots? How do we pay the people we bring in? Do we restructure people like Dareus this year to kick the problem down the road as suggested in an article here?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/2/18/14657012/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-contract-restructure-marcell-dareus-cordy-glenn

There's a very good chance that we do have cap problems in 2018, not least because our GM is Doug Whaley and he's slowly, consistently worked us into serious cap problems. And he's still here.

So again, it would be the exact opposite of a wasted season if they get the cap under control, do a good job of inputting the new system and did a good job drafting. It would be laying the foundation for what could maybe eventually be a team that could be competitive for a title. That blows the hell out of upgrading from maybe five to eight wins this season. About as much of a waste as it is digging the foundation before you start putting on the rooftiles when you build a house.

I'm with you there. Start trading back and accumulating picks.

1) Pointed this out before but the Bills salary cap problems are quite temporary.

Even with a bunch of obvious cuts listed on the books and INCLUDING picking up Tyrod's option they would be slated at $70M under the projected 2018 cap.

And perhaps most importantly there will ALSO be a number of older players coming off the books between now and the 2018 season.....Corey Graham, Aaron Williams, Eric Wood, Incognito, Kyle Williams and Lesean McCoy.

2) I'm for trading back........they need to fill some starting spots with in-house talent over the next couple years.

They will have tons of cap space but so does half the league.......you don't want to be outbidding yourselves the way they did when they went on the Shady-Clay-Harvin spending spree.

Should be able to get a potential impact player at a high dollar position early(QB/Pass Rush/CB)....... then add some quality safety and TE help in middle and a capable RB late or maybe in UDFA.......but more picks is better.

1) Pointed this out before but the Bills salary cap problems are quite temporary.

Even with a bunch of obvious cuts listed on the books and INCLUDING picking up Tyrod's option they would be slated at $70M under the projected 2018 cap.

And perhaps most importantly there will ALSO be a number of older players coming off the books between now and the 2018 season.....Corey Graham, Aaron Williams, Eric Wood, Incognito, Kyle Williams and Lesean McCoy.

2) I'm for trading back........they need to fill some starting spots with in-house talent over the next couple years.

They will have tons of cap space but so does half the league.......you don't want to be outbidding yourselves the way they did when they went on the Shady-Clay-Harvin spending spree.

Should be able to get a potential impact player at a high dollar position early(QB/Pass Rush/CB)....... then add some quality safety and TE help in middle and a capable RB late or maybe in UDFA.......but more picks is better.

I am more and more irked about Whales going on a spending spree. Dude has shown little self discipline post Ralph Wilson. Kid in a candy store kinda vibe to me.

Not really a report. Just speculation based on what Dunne said. Cut Tyrod and "start over" with Foles.

That should be fun.... and a waste of a season.

Foles threw 27 Td's and 2 int's and made the playoffs.

Something Tyrod will never do. Pump the breaks dude.

Why, Whaley is allowed to move on from a .500 qb who struggles to complete basic passes.

Foles threw 27 Td's and 2 int's and made the playoffs.

Something Tyrod will never do. Pump the breaks dude.

Why, Whaley is allowed to move on from a .500 qb who struggles to complete basic passes.

I was referencing a previous post.

Give McD what he wants, should be his sole job. Not thinking about finding a bargain fro the bottom line. I know you agree

Only 25 players are currently under contract in 2018. That $70M or so has to be used for 28 more active players, all of the practice squad and any players on IR. Edited by BarleyNY

isnt there some kind of rule of a certain number counting againt the cap? I am asking because I dont understand it completely

yes. Do not recall how many beyond 53 it is though

But some of our players will be coming off rookie contracts. Think Watkins is one of them.

How long does it take to learn to line up under center ? Perhaps one practice.

I do not think it is that easy ha ha !