Donald Jones says coaches do not teach players fundamentals

PolishDave

Listening to John Murphy show yesterday while driving around - I heard Donald talk about players being developed in the NFL.

Donald said that "a lot" of coaches in the NFL do not actually teach technique to players. Instead they just make sure the players know the playbook.

He explained that some coaches are more interested in keeping their job and moving up the ladder. That is the reason he used as why the coaches focus on the playbook. If you think about it, it makes sense. If a player has bad technique, the player gets blamed for failure. If the player doesn't know the play, then it looks like the position coach is not doing his job.

Donald went on to explain that a lot of times, the player is what he is when he is drafted. And the player is left to succeed or fail based on his own ability.

You would think that every position coach is there to teach proper technique and that would be their primary focus. Apparently it isn't.

He did specifically credit Sanjay Lal (Bills wide receiver coach) as being a great coach who actually teaches techniques and route running.

I wonder what kind of coaches McDermott has brought in here? Are they technique teachers or are they playbook guys?

Explains a lot. And also explains why some players don't get better. I hope we have technique teachers.

Edited by PolishDave

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to John Murphy show yesterday while driving around - I heard Donald talk about players being developed in the NFL.

Donald said that "a lot" of coaches in the NFL do not actually teach technique to players. Instead they just make sure the players know the playbook.

He explained that some coaches are more interested in keeping their job and moving up the ladder. That is the reason he used as why the coaches focus on the playbook. If a player has bad technique, the player gets blamed for failure. If the player doesn't know the play, then it looks like the position coach is not doing his job.

Donald went on to explain that a lot of times, the player is what he is when he is drafted. And the player is left to succeed or fail based on his own ability.

You would think that every position coach is there to teach proper technique and that would be their primary focus. Apparently it isn't.

He did specifically credit Sanjay Lal (Bills wide receiver coach) as being a great coach who actually teaches techniques and route running.

I wonder what kind of coaches McDermott has brought in here? Are they technique teachers or are they playbook guys?

Explains a lot. And also explains why some players don't get better. I hope we have technique teachers.

When the Bills got rid of Donnie Henderson it was said that the DB's were not working their technique as before. The Waufle guy looks like a fundamentals type coach.

When the Bills got rid of Donnie Henderson it was said that the DB's were not working their technique as before. The Waufle guy looks like a fundamentals type coach.

Hope so.

I was surprised at the emphasis Donald put into his explanation. In high school and college the coaching has a heavy emphasis on technique. Apparently by the time a player reaches the NFL, it is often times assumed his technique is good enough.

Also explains why some young players (defensive pass rushers) will seek out training from a guy like Warren Sapp to coach them on proven techniques.

I saw a television show where Sapp was teaching 1st year NFL guys from various teams - good pass rushing techniques. The rookies acted like it was all new to them and that they were hearing these things for the first time.

I am amazed at the whole thing. When you invest hundreds of millions of dollars in players, why in hell wouldn't you be teaching those guys every single good technique used by every good player at their position in the NFL? I would think it would be a MAJOR priority for every single coaching staff. But I guess not.

Hope so.

I was surprised at the emphasis Donald put into his explanation. In high school and college the coaching has a heavy emphasis on technique. Apparently by the time a player reaches the NFL, it is often times assumed his technique is good enough.

Also explains why some young players (defensive pass rushers) will seek out training from a guy like Warren Sapp to coach them on proven techniques.

I saw a television show where Sapp was teaching 1st year NFL guys from various teams - good pass rushing techniques. The rookies acted like it was all new to them and that they were hearing these things for the first time.

I am amazed at the whole thing. When you invest hundreds of millions of dollars in players, why in hell wouldn't you be teaching those guys every single good technique used by every good player at their position in the NFL? I would think it would be a MAJOR priority for every single coaching staff. But I guess not.

People scoffed at the idea that there were different levels of QB coaches in the NFL. They're all the same was the refrain from many Bills fans. If the QB is good he is good, coaching means nothing or is all the same.

Then again it makes sense since Bills fans have never seen a QB drafted and developed successfully in their lifetime.

Edited by jeffismagic

Hope so.

Thats crazy. That should spark Pegs to bring in some technique teachers during TC for a week or two and have one for each position to get some more tech in there. Fundamentals and technique can turn an average player into a game breaker

Hope so.

In some ways it makes a lot of sense given the restrictions on training and practices as per CBA. So some coaches will focus on particular aspects of coaching. Players have to work on their techniques in the off-season and between camps to further their skills and stay in shape. Look at what Payton used to do in off-season. Even though he has QB camps and is a coach himself, he works out with coaches and focuses on making improvements.

How many of our players do that? Work ethic and dedication is what separate good teams from bad teams and great teams from merely good teams. That's where "character" questions come in. And that's where Belicheat does right - he will take on marginal players who have football IQ combined with extremely strong work ethic and team first mentality over talented players who are lazy. That's how he wins with a lot of no-name players. And cheating. xD

I read this quote somewhere, and it always stuck with me. I don't know who said it -

Talent is one thing. Its successful fruition is another.

In some ways it makes a lot of sense given the restrictions on training and practices as per CBA. So some coaches will focus on particular aspects of coaching. Players have to work on their techniques in the off-season and between camps to further their skills and stay in shape. Look at what Payton used to do in off-season. Even though he has QB camps and is a coach himself, he works out with coaches and focuses on making improvements.

How many of our players do that? Work ethic and dedication is what separate good teams from bad teams and great teams from merely good teams. That's where "character" questions come in. And that's where Belicheat does right - he will take on marginal players who have football IQ combined with extremely strong work ethic and team first mentality over talented players who are lazy. That's how he wins with a lot of no-name players. And cheating. xD

I read this quote somewhere, and it always stuck with me. I don't know who said it -

Talent is one thing. Its successful fruition is another.

If a player does not have excellent technique at his position, I would think that player would want to work on that year round until it is corrected. And I would think the team would expect that of them and provide the framework for that player to do that.

If a player does not have excellent technique at his position, I would think that player would want to work on that year round until it is corrected. And I would think the team would expect that of them and provide the framework for that player to do that.

But where does one find the correct Teacher. Should that be the responsibility of the Team, to be sure "someone" is teaching Techniques ?

This irks me. Because it makes sense in retrospect.

like wht Gilmore cannot tackle. He does not know how

aaarrgghh

But where does one find the correct Teacher. Should that be the responsibility of the Team, to be sure "someone" is teaching Techniques ?

This irks me. Because it makes sense in retrospect.

like wht Gilmore cannot tackle. He does not know how

aaarrgghh

Teams obviously leave it up to the coaching staff. If I was Pegula and knew that some coaches didn't teach technique, I would make it very clear to my head coach that "not teaching technique" is unacceptable.

I would also be tempted to hire ex-players (retired guys) as off season trainers who work one on one with existing players. I would provide the facility for them to do so. And I would leave it as an option for the players on whether or not to attend. That would tell me which players want to be the best at their craft and which ones want to put in the least amount of effort possible. Perfect retirement job for guys like Darryl Talley. Employed by the team to improve players every year regardless of who the coaching staff is. Permanent team trainers if you will.

I think this is where I'd like read and hear more detailed analysis of key players' growth and technique. Especially at skilled positions like QB. You hear how much Payton Manning works on his footwork. And in the last game of last season EJ was throwing off the wrong foot and missed a wide open receiver in end zone. That kind of thing. I mean if EJ had this problem since his rookie year, WTH was he doing this whole time? This is like a once in a life time opportunity, and he's makiing MILLIONS on this. There are things to be corrected and it maddens me that they don't improve. And that's the same disappointment with TT. I am NOT seeing him improving despite being in the league six years? If he isn't motivated to improve for $100m reasons he'll never improve.

I think this is where I'd like read and hear more detailed analysis of key players' growth and technique. Especially at skilled positions like QB. You hear how much Payton Manning works on his footwork. And in the last game of last season EJ was throwing off the wrong foot and missed a wide open receiver in end zone. That kind of thing. I mean if EJ had this problem since his rookie year, WTH was he doing this whole time? This is like a once in a life time opportunity, and he's makiing MILLIONS on this. There are things to be corrected and it maddens me that they don't improve. And that's the same disappointment with TT. I am NOT seeing him improving despite being in the league six years? If he isn't motivated to improve for $100m reasons he'll never improve.

Well EJ is a special case. The guy looked better as a rookie then the player we saw last year after years of Bills coaching.

If I was Pegula and knew that some coaches didn't teach technique, I would make it very clear to my head coach that "not teaching technique" is unacceptable.

How on earth would Pegula know which of his coaches were or were not teaching "technique"?

This is a guy who fell asleep when he watched film with Rex.

This is very typical and symptomatic of athletes moving up levels. This happens at colleges too. I have had athletes in different sports regress, due to the lack of coaching techniques. It is amazing to see that as you move up levels the coaches assume athletes know enough to fend for themselves. Because a person is a pro coach or a college coach doesn't mean that the coach knows his craft well.

Makes me wonder how the Pats can get guys from a dumpster and turn them into all stars. Maybe the coaches emphasize different aspects of the game. Maybe their playbook is simpler, and it is up to the players to execute. Maybe they coach technique along with the plays. I have no idea. I just don't understand how one team can dominate so much in the parity league. I know the easy answer is that Brady is the key, but I think there is more to it than that.

Makes me wonder how the Pats can get guys from a dumpster and turn them into all stars. Maybe the coaches emphasize different aspects of the game. Maybe their playbook is simpler, and it is up to the players to execute. Maybe they coach technique along with the plays. I have no idea. I just don't understand how one team can dominate so much in the parity league. I know the easy answer is that Brady is the key, but I think there is more to it than that.

Their defense is almost always very good, and the whole team plays smart. It's not all Brady.

Hope so.

Fans make a lot of assumptions about the professionalism and competence of NFL players......coaches.......and scouts.

The reality is that the players are mostly just free-wheeling 20-something young men that don't always make "professional decisions".......don't always give full effort......and often don't enjoy the game.

The coaches and scouts are often just glorified phys ed teachers........many of them lunkheads with a specialty in certain aspects of the game of football.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist.......but that is why a really astute football mind like Belichick can routinely "pants" a lot of these guys over and over.