The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

Because that doesn't happen that often. I just looked at the last 6 classes and only 2013 could be described that way. 1/6= 16%

Bills fans have EJ Syndrome, the fear of EJ around every corner!!

You might want to check out 2010 and 2007 as well. We also need to wait on 2015. Bills fans have "other QB goggles"

so that they have already annointed Winston and Mariota the next great ones. They have to sustain their success before they can be considered elite.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to check out 2010 and 2007 as well. We also need to wait on 2015. Bills fans have "other QB goggles"

so that they have already annointed Winston and Mariota the next great ones. They have to sustain their success before they can be considered elite.

2010 was Bradford. He isn't a true franchise guy but he isn't a bust either. He is a Tyrod Taylor level guy. 2007 I will give you.... that was a bad, bad year.

Mariota and Winston are both going to be superstars. If you didn't like those two as prospects then you will never like a Quarterback in a draft.

Edited by GunnerBill

Correct, and you used an unfairly small sample size to benefit your personal point of view.

No, I just happened to have a limited amount of time and looked at the last 6 years. Later today after work I will be glad to do a 10 year analysis. Going back further is pointless as scouting, prospects, etc change so much.

2010 was Bradford. He isn't a true franchise guy but he isn't a bust either. He is a Tyrod Taylor level guy. 2007 I will give you.... that was a bad, bad year.

Mariota and Winston are both going to be superstars. If you didn't like those two as prospects then you will never like a Quarterback in a draft.

If Bradford is the best you could get out of a QB in a draft I'd call that a bust. Bradford is a bust for a first pick. Would you be happy with drafting Watson number ten, and him having the production of Bradford? No we wouldn't, because the playoff drought would continue for another ten years.

If Bradford is the best you could get out of a QB in a draft I'd call that a bust. Bradford is a bust for a first pick. Would you be happy with drafting Watson number ten, and him having the production of Bradford? No we wouldn't, because the playoff drought would continue for another ten years.

I'd rather do that than stand pat with a guy we know will extend the drought - yes.

Why change my quote. If you dont like it dont read it, but certqinely dont change it like a 13 year that feels like he/she has been done wrong.

Welcome aboard , you don't make the rules new guy.

I'd drop the whole holier than thou shtick if I was you.

Your comments to bandit and Jeff are disturbing.

This will conclude our talks. Can't wait to see Tru/Wat/Mahomes in red and blue.

Welcome aboard , you don't make the rules new guy.

I'd drop the whole holier than thou shtick if I was you.

Your comments to bandit and Jeff are disturbing.

This will conclude our talks. Can't wait to see Tru/Wat/Mahomes in red and blue.

Houston is likely to try to get one of them, you're right!

I'd rather do that than stand pat with a guy we know will extend the drought - yes.

Right, but if your assessment of a draft is the best you are going to get is a guy at Bradford's level you wouldn't draft him in the first. A draft with Bradford as the number one is a bust.

Right, but if your assessment of a draft is the best you are going to get is a guy at Bradford's level you wouldn't draft him in the first. A draft with Bradford as the number one is a bust.

That is not his assessment of the QB's. The Bradford thing was how many angels could dance on a pin with you discussing a certain draft year.

When I look at the guys I had in my "game manager" level when I did my Quarterback thread (http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191762-a-favourite-offseason-thread-quarterback-rankings/)

Which for those who don't want to look back at the thread was:

The Game Managers:

17. Alex Smith

18. Andy Dalton

19. Kirk Cousins

20. Ryan Tannehill

21. Tyrod Taylor

22. Sam Bradford

You have:

3 1st round picks (2 of whom went #1 overall);

1 2nd round pick;

1 4th round pick;

1 6th round pick.

So whilst ideally you find a Quarterback at that level in a later round.... the truth is a lot of guys who are even at that level are picked in the 1st. I wouldn't call any of those Quarterbacks busts. If I think that is the floor of a guy I like in whichever draft then I pick him there and hope I get better than the floor.

Edited by GunnerBill

When I look at the guys I had in my "game manager" level when I did my Quarterback thread (http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191762-a-favourite-offseason-thread-quarterback-rankings/)

Which for those who don't want to look back at the thread was:

The Game Managers:

17. Alex Smith

18. Andy Dalton

19. Kirk Cousins

20. Ryan Tannehill

21. Tyrod Taylor

22. Sam Bradford

You have:

3 1st round picks (2 of whom went #1 overall);

1 2nd round pick;

1 4th round pick;

1 6th round pick.

So whilst ideally you find a Quarterback at that level in a later round.... the truth is a lot of guys who are even at that level are picked in the 1st. I wouldn't call any of those Quarterbacks busts. If I think that is the floor of a guy I like in whichever draft then I pick him there and hope I get better than the floor.

Bradford had a pretty darn good season last year - 71.6 completion rate (which led the NFL), nearly 4K yards, a 99.3 rating, a 20/5 TD/INT ratio, and 7 ypa. It's not otherworldly, but it was definitely better than average. The Vikings had the worst running game in the league (by far - 32nd in yards and 32nd in ypa) , which killed their offense. He may be on the verge of elevating himself out of the game manager category.

Edited by dave mcbride

Watson never completed less than 67% of his passes. How is the kid being deemed inaccurate? Especially when his attempts rose every year he played college. His YPA isn't anything to sneeze at either with 7.9.

One of my favorite assets of this kid is his accuracy when the stage is the biggest. Doesn't get rattled and dials it in.

Sure, there are times where he will make a risky throw and allow his WR to make a play. I am taking that method at the position over the simple dump pff that won't go for first down yardage on third down. Not for nothing everyone talks about how good of a WR Williams is- watson had a phenomenal year WITHOUT him in the lineup last year.

Now, people give watson grief for utilizing Williams ability to win contested balls. Not for nothing I would love to have a QB that would do that more with the likes of Watkins, Clay and if we keep him (Hunter).

People can try and creative whatever narrative they want about Watson, but there is absolutely no denying his ability.

Edited by BillsFan17

Fair enough. I don't want it sound like all his success is becaue of no defense. I'm just really afraid of a predetermined read air raid offense QB. He has all time great arm talent. It means nothing if he can't adjust to the pro game. It won't be easy because he is already faced with a steep learning curve.

Your analysis regarding the necessity of adjusting to the pro game is accurate. It also applies to every qb in this draft and every draft. None of this year's crop is a plug in and play type of qb. I'm fine with that. For the most part (not all) there is an adjustment period for all rookie players. Good coaching and a stellar work ethic are part of the grooming process. Especially for qbs expecting instant gratification and an immediate return on an investment is not rooted in the demanding reality of the NFL.