What 1 position should the Bills focus on in FA?

GunnerBill

FA Priorities  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What 1 position should the Bills prioritise in FA?

• Quarterback
    • Offensive Tackle
    • Tight End
    • Linebacker
    • Cornerback
    • Safety
    • Other (please specify)

Given what we know about the Bills most obvious needs, their cap situation and the strengths and weaknesses of the 2017 draft class - where should the Bills focus their attention in terms of outside free agents (ie. not re-signing their own)?

I'll get things started.... it's Offensive Tackle for me. I've started work on this offensive tackle class and I'm struggling to find 5 that I think are day 1 or 2 picks. Jordan Mills is a FA, Henderson is a huge question mark, Kouandjio LT and Glenn RT is an option but is mainly untested and in any event the Bills need some sort of depth there.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking OT and LB and ended up going with LB. It is so crucial, IMO, that they re-sign Zach Brown. This draft is so deep with WR talent, I think we can fill our needs there cheaply.

plus I think it's going to be hard to sign a decent WR in FA due to our QB situation. Would need to overpay and at that point might as well just pay Woods. They need to draft at least one in the first 2-3 rounds and then hope that Listenbee is ready to go.

I want them to focus on tackle in free agency because you aren't going to draft a guy who is going to start day 1 and be good day 1. Find a guy with experience who is an upgrade from what we have now.

I would address as many positions as possible in free agency but tackle is priority one for me.

Draft first pick = wide receiver if one of the top 2 is available

I'm pretty ok with our offensive production... assuming we can maintain.

IMO if we can get a good safety or two out of the draft/FA, along with a scheme change, our defense should pick up dramatically.

I bet you are right about that.

And I think it happens regardless of where they get the safeties from whether it is in the draft or in free agency. I expect the defense to take huge steps forward (against the run) next year compared to this year. Against the pass, I don't know, this defense could be worse. Not sure about that one way or the other. We shall see.

For me it would be DB (this includes Gilmore). Gilmore is a really good player and at the right number I would love to have him back. The secondary in this draft is really strong though and I know that Bandit has talked about a cheap vet in his place (maybe DRC was mentioned). I think that they need to add a DB in FA AND the draft (this includes Gilmore). If they re-sign Gilmore then they can draft a S (and there are a bunch). If Gilmore walks maybe they sign a S like Tony Jefferson and draft a CB in the 2nd (Gareon Conley maybe)?

This is a weak OT draft and we have a need at RT. I am okay with CK on the left and Glenn on the right I think but they need at least one more tackle anyways. I would probably shoot for a RT in FA but a swing tackle would work too (maybe Marshall Newhouse). At the end of the day, I think that it will end up with CK and CG as the tackles.

They have to try to re-sign some of their own for sure. They need LBs that can run (hi Zach Brown). A kicker is on the list as well. They HAVE to upgrade from Carpenter.

I will throw out my rough 22 based on what I THINK will happen, not necessarily what I want to happen (which I am constantly changing):

LT - CK

LG - RI

C - Wood

RG - Miller

RT - CG

WR 1 - Watkins

WR 2 - Corey Davis (round 1)

Slot - Jeremy Kerley (FA) / FB - Felton

TE - Clay

RB - Shady

QB - Tyrod

DE - Lawson

DT - Dareus

DT - KW

DE - Hughes

WLB - Zach Brown (re-sign)

MLB - Ragland

SLB - Preston Brown

CB - Darby

CB - Gareon Conley (2nd round)

SS - Tony Jefferson (FA)

FS - Aaron Williams

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I think I might look at Cam Robinson at that spot...might

Yea I have a 2nd on Cam and would be fine taking him there. I don't think he would be the BPA and I also don't think he will be on the board. I still expect him to go in the back half of the 1st to a team reaching for offensive line help.

Yea I have a 2nd on Cam and would be fine taking him there. I don't think he would be the BPA and I also don't think he will be on the board. I still expect him to go in the back half of the 1st to a team reaching for offensive line help.

I'm a bit gun-shy on him. He just seems so undisciplined: jumps early too often, tends to clutch and grab against quicker guys, technique breaks down, etc. The size and athleticism are there, but I would have to get myself comfortable that he's going to be dedicated to his craft as a pro...not exactly a dominant trait for those 'bama players as of late (with apologies to Bill in NYC)

I'm a bit gun-shy on him. He just seems so undisciplined: jumps early too often, tends to clutch and grab against quicker guys, technique breaks down, etc. The size and athleticism are there, but I would have to get myself comfortable that he's going to be dedicated to his craft as a pro...not exactly a dominant trait for those 'bama players as of late (with apologies to Bill in NYC)

Yea I think his technique has a long way to go..... I just think some team will fall in love with the physical traits and reach for him in the 1st given that there are teams out there looking for tackle help and this is a bad tackle class.

I said the other week at the moment I have 0 first round graded tackles.