What 1 position should the Bills focus on in FA?

GunnerBill

FA Priorities  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What 1 position should the Bills prioritise in FA?

• Quarterback
    • Offensive Tackle
    • Tight End
    • Linebacker
    • Cornerback
    • Safety
    • Other (please specify)

I think---

#1 We need to resign Gilmore, Gilly, Z Brown, Lorax and restructure Tyrod.

#2 WR there are some good ones avail and Alshon, D Jackson, Pryor would look like next to Sammy.

#3 QB an experienced Vet like McCown. Let the rookie and Cardale battle it out for the #3 spot.

Draft a Safety in the 1st, especially if Malik Hooker drops to #10, OT in the 2nd, QB in the 3rd. If Watson drops to #10, take him and move safety to rd #2 and OT in the 3rd.

With solid coaching this team could go 10-6 or better.

Edited by BillsRdue

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think---

#1 We need to resign Gilmore, Gilly, Z Brown, Lorax and restructure Tyrod.

#2 WR there are some good ones avail and Alshon, D Jackson, Pryor would look like next to Sammy.

#3 QB an experienced Vet like McCown. Let the rookie and Cardale battle it out for the #3 spot.

Draft a Safety in the 1st, especially if Malik Hooker drops to #10, OT in the 2nd, QB in the 3rd. If Watson drops to #10, take him and move safety to rd #2 and OT in the 3rd.

With solid coaching this team could go 10-6 or better.

Which Offensive Tackle do you think will be there in the 2nd who is value at that pick?

Is there a website somewhere where they put an realistic value on what range a FA might sign for? I agree on McCown. His contract is peanuts and he would make a good bridge QB. If we don't pick up the option on TT, we can afford to sign someone like Wagner at OT. We can afford to resign a couple of our lesser FA. Let Gilmore and Woods go, and resign some lesser, but still decent FA in their places. Get our WR in an excellent WR group this year. One of the top 2 would be great, another in the later rounds. If not one of the top two WR in the first, trade down for extra picks. Draft our rookie QB from among the top 5 if any are there in the 2nd. But if we pick up the option on TT we really cripple our team's growth for at least another year, if not 2, and 17 years of futility will suddenly be 20. TT's contract keeps us in cap hell for way too long just for a mediocre bridge QB.

Edited by simpleman

Is there a website somewhere where they put an realistic value on what range a FA might sign for? I agree on McCown. His contract is peanuts and he would make a good bridge QB. If we don't pick up the option on TT, we can afford to sign someone like Wagner at OT. We can afford to resign a couple of our lesser FA. Let Gilmore and Woods go, and resign some lesser, but still decent FA in their places. Get our WR in an excellent WR group this year. One of the top 2 would be great, another in the later rounds. If not one of the top two WR in the first, trade down for extra picks. Draft our rookie QB from among the top 5 if any are there in the 2nd. But if we pick up the option on TT we really cripple our team's growth for at least another year, if not 2, and 17 years of futility will suddenly be 20. TT's contract keeps us in cap hell for way too long just for a mediocre bridge QB.

I don't see his $15-$16M cap hit as crippling? The decision is based on "what is your best option at QB moving forward?"

WR & S are at the top for me. I feel we need a FA and a Draft Pick at each of those position groups.

Depending on AW we need 1-2 S and almost certainly need 2 WR. I've gone back and forth but I think at the moment, I lean towards drafting Corey Davis, signing Jeremy Kerley and signing Tony Jefferson. This would mean Gilmore walks and draft a CB in the 2nd. This is subject to change :).

I don't see his $15-$16M cap hit as crippling? The decision is based on "what is your best option at QB moving forward?"

From “Over The Cap”

“If the Bills pick up the option an additional $27.5 million in fully guaranteed salary can be earned in 2017 and 2018. Taylor can also earn additional incentives for performance.”

“The dead money for the Bills if they release Taylor and decline the option is $2.85 million and they will save $13.06 million in cap space”

Dead money:

2018 $14,440,000

2019 $10,660,000

2020 $6,880,000

2021 $3,100,000

This is a huge drag on the cap for years to come for a mediocre bridge QB. It is damaging to the growth of the team unless you believe TT is the Franchise QB of the future that you are building your future around.

Depending on AW we need 1-2 S and almost certainly need 2 WR. I've gone back and forth but I think at the moment, I lean towards drafting Corey Davis, signing Jeremy Kerley and signing Tony Jefferson. This would mean Gilmore walks and draft a CB in the 2nd. This is subject to change :).

For me it doesn't depend on AW at all. If we have him and a Vet behind him that's fine, but I cannot bank on the health of a player that's missed significant time 2 years in a row and who is a concern to retire due to his injuries.

I only noticed this morning that I had omitted Wide Receiver from my list of options.... and I am guessing that is what a lot of the votes for "other" are. I think the consensus is that our 3 biggest holes are WR, S and OT.

The way I see it this is a strong safety draft (maybe 3 first rounders? and good depth beyond that) and a strong receiver draft (two potential top 10 guys and plenty of good prospects through rounds 2-4). It is a terrible OT draft in my opinion. There are only 4/5 that I consider worth drafting in the first 3 rounds who would even have a chance of competing to start their rookie year. The rest are all day 3 developmental picks. Because of the shortage I expect those that I think are value in the 2nd to go in the 1st and those that I think are value in the 3rd to go in the 2nd. To me your choices if you decide not to take a tackle in FA are:

1. Reach for need in the 1st or 2nd round;

2. Take a developmental guy and put all your eggs in the CK @ LT and CG @ RT basket.

Neither of the above feel like great options to me. It isn't a brilliant FA crop either to be honest.... Wagner will probably get good money, I'm guessing Whitworth if he wants to carry on playing will get a big pay day as well (PFF's 2nd ranked tackle in 2016 at the age of 35.... quite incredible) the two slightly cheaper targets for the Bills might be Riley Rieff or Mike Remmers.

From Over The Cap

If the Bills pick up the option an additional $27.5 million in fully guaranteed salary can be earned in 2017 and 2018. Taylor can also earn additional incentives for performance.

The dead money for the Bills if they release Taylor and decline the option is $2.85 million and they will save $13.06 million in cap space

Dead money:

2018 $14,440,000

2019 $10,660,000

2020 $6,880,000

2021 $3,100,000

This is a huge drag on the cap for years to come for a mediocre bridge QB. It is damaging to the growth of the team unless you believe TT is the Franchise QB of the future that you are building your future around.

I'm pretty sure that's not right. You'd have him through 2018 at least. That's where the guarantees are. His base in the last 3 years of the deal isn't guaranteed. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/. The dead cap hit in 2019 - 2021 would be $3.78M, $3.78M, $3.1M.

The dead cap hit in 2019 - 2021 would be $3.78M, $3.78M, $3.1M.

But they are cumulative. So cutting him after 2018 would have a dead cap of those figures added together..... because they are the remnants of the option bonus which is fully guaranteed the moment we take it up.

But they are cumulative. So cutting him after 2018 would have a dead cap of those figures added together..... because they are the remnants of the option bonus which is fully guaranteed the moment we take it up.

You are right, I'm an idiot. I believe (but am not positive) that the bonus would all hit in the year that he is released correct?

Depends when he's cut. Post June 1 spreads it over 2 years IIRC.

Yep. This is right.

So essentially cut him after 2018 you can either suck the whole $10m in one year or you can suck it over 2 at $5m per year. This is my issue with taking up the option. Unless Tyrod improves on what he is currently then even if he survives this offseason he will not be the Bills Quarterback beyond 2018. At that point it makes the next two years $20m a year (though spread over 3 or 4 years depends on the cut date). That is a lot of money for what he is.

The question is what they should focus on in FA.

I know. I posed it. I was just showing my working out.

Yep. This is right.

So essentially cut him after 2018 you can either suck the whole $10m in one year or you can suck it over 2 at $5m per year. This is my issue with taking up the option. Unless Tyrod improves on what he is currently then even if he survives this offseason he will not be the Bills Quarterback beyond 2018. At that point it makes the next two years $20m a year (though spread over 3 or 4 years depends on the cut date). That is a lot of money for what he is.

I know. I posed it. I was just showing my working out.

The cap issue is fully relevant here when you are talking about FA. You need cap space and plenty of it to resign your FA and sign new FA to fill your needs. Without cap space you can't do either. You can want and wish all you want, without cap space you can't do anything else. Taking the option on TT makes all these FA questions almost moot. Not just this year, but at least 2-4 years into future you are in cap hell because of it. There comes year 20 of futility.

As far as UFAs, other than Jeffery, there's Kenny Britt, Kenny Stills, Pierre Garçon, DeSean Jackson, Michael Floyd, the ageless Anquan Boldin, the aging Vincent Jackson, Terrell Pryor, Brandon LaFell, Ted Ginn Jr, Jeremy Kerley, Brian Quick, Terrance Williams and Cordarelle Patterson. This list isn't as bad as I thought with a few of them likely upgrades over Bob Woods and some others arguably similar.

Thanks Carwright!

Garcon and DJax are still nice.. DJax has the Shady connection so that might happen, he might replace R Woods.

Could also see Whaley being cheap and going for Stills, Britt or Patterson.