How does a team develop a young QB???

#34fan

Very frequently classes are designated as weak qb classes. And in those predetermined classes there are always good qbs to be found. It's not surprising that an organization that has shown an inability to properly evaluate qbs has struggled to find a franchise qb over a twenty year period. While people and this slow footed organization seek the ideal qb they allow good prospects to slip away. Buffalo waits for the right moment while other organizations seize the opportunity that we allow to pass.

This year there are at least four qb prospects that would be good qb prospects. The Jauron/Levy mentality of building a roster from the defensive backside will result in this backwater franchise to draft a DB and cluelessly be proud of itself. It is this small-minded patchwork mentality that has kept this franchise stuck in a shiiit pile for almost a quarter of a century of irrelevance. It's tiresome and it is stupid!

Great post!

I'd probably file it under "root causes of our perpetual underachievement"

One thing intrigues me though.... Which four are you referring to?.. -If you don't want to say, I totally understand why.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. REPS, dammit!

2. Support. (Build confidence)

3. Simple, low stress, offensive scheming.

4. Find them a go-to guy... Reliable target

5. O-line help.

6. GIVE THEM THE WHEEL!

You guys have any better methods? -Speak now, or forever hold your peace!

Giving a guy the wheel when he's not ready is the worst thing you can do.

It ingrains his bad habits.

You give him the wheel when he's ready and not before.

Before that, mental reps and teach them how to look at film. Get him a mentor, a Frank Reich, a smart vet who knows his stuff but maybe isn't good enough to start. And expect professionalism and commitment from day one.

Edited by Thurman#1

By not drafting a sh**ty one from a weak QB class like this year.

Right. Find a good one. From this year. Or next. But very often there's a good one in a ****ty class. Not always, but usually.

But good ones can be destroyed by bad development, and ones who might not have made it can be saved by great development.

You can keep saying its not a weak class, doesn't make it true either. This class is overwhelmingly seen as a weaker class by just about everyone...so, I will side with the majority on this one as I feel the same way. Lets face the reality around the QB's going into the draft and why its looked at as a weaker class currently:

1. Not one of them is considered an Elite QB prospect.

2. No one is even listing any QB in their top 15 prospects, and more often than not I see guys like Watson outside the top 30.

3. Not one of them has separated himself yet as the clear top QB prospect in the draft out of the top 4 guys.

4. There isn't a single guy that is labeled a lock for the top 10. I am sure one, and maybe more, will go there, out of need...but nobody has any idea which guy or guys it would be.

Now, I will say that the combine can really boost the opinions on some of these guys and the class if they come out and put on a show. But, until then, its a muddied water at QB this year and no one has emerged as a must draft guy yet. Of course, the opposite is true too...dont shine at the combine and some of these guys can fall out of the first round all together.

I don't think you have four reasons there. Looks like the same one four times in different words. (Am I wrong? Have I missed something? Lemme know if I have, it wouldn't be the first time). And you're dead right that it seems there is no obvious top ten guy. And that that's what they mean by a bad class this year.

But sometimes guys who don't look like top ten guys work out. Equally, sometimes they don't. But sometimes they do.

I'm not saying draft one from this class. I'm saying evaluate the hell out of them and if you think one guy has a good shot, grab him. If not, look at other positions and wait a year.

Not that I have huge faith in Whaley. I don't. But he's what we've got at GM, so we'll have to accept that and hope.

Edited by Thurman#1

First, you have to draft a QB who does a few critical things well. For me, its accuracy, timing, and reaction to pressure. Quite the opposite of what EJ does and did in college. A big arm is great but not my first measure of success. Frankly, I haven't seen any of the top tier QBs in this draft that possess the vital skill set to become a franchise QB. The Bills would be wise not to use an early pick on a QB.

How to develop a quarterback:

In the off season -

1) Find a coach who has played the position at a high level - preferably with NFL quarterbacking experience.

And that coach has to have a proven track record of developing quarterbacks.

2) Assemble a practice squad of players to mimic every NFL position on offense and defense.

3) Prospect works with coach 5 days a week learning every bit of knowledge that coach has and drilling techniques day in and day out on the field under simulated real game situations.

4) Drill plays repeatedly under zero pass rush until the quarterback can complete them successfully repeatedly almost without fail.

5) Then introduce a pass rush from points of attack according to the tendencies of the other teams in your division. Drill the same plays until the QB can execute the same plays repeatedly even when under duress from that pass rush.

6) Play the guy in preseason to see if he can execute the same things he has drilled all offseason and during camp.

Edited by PolishDave

What's a real playbook look like ?

Add another one to big bag of excuses for TT.

this is getting old

stop hijacking threads

How to develop a quarterback:

In the off season -

1) Find a coach who has played the position at a high level - preferably with NFL quarterbacking experience.

And that coach has to have a proven track record of developing quarterbacks.

2) Assemble a practice squad of players to mimic every NFL position on offense and defense.

3) Prospect works with coach 5 days a week learning every bit of knowledge that coach has and drilling techniques day in and day out on the field under simulated real game situations.

4) Drill plays repeatedly under zero pass rush until the quarterback can complete them successfully repeatedly almost without fail.

5) Then introduce a pass rush from points of attack according to the tendencies of the other teams in your division. Drill the same plays until the QB can execute the same plays repeatedly even when under duress from that pass rush.

6) Play the guy in preseason to see if he can execute the same things he has drilled all offseason and during camp.

to me they first need to have the physical tools

next,,,,they need to have a coach working with them that works on mechanics WITHOUT making the qb think too much,,,,to me this is where david lee fails......a guy that does not just work on footwork but also progression reads and game day tendicies

I like how Philadelphia surrounded their young QB with a bunch of guys that played QB in the league. One thing I would do if in McDermott's shoes (or any coach) is try to bring aboard a recently retired QB that was known as a "bright QB." He would work with the QB coach but with young QBs specifically. You could call him the QB development coach or something. Maybe someone like Orton or David Garrard or one of the McCown's (if they decide to retire) would make sense. The QB coach has to spend his time preparing the starter but that shouldnt preclude from having someone else working with the guys behind him.

to me they first need to have the physical tools

next,,,,they need to have a coach working with them that works on mechanics WITHOUT making the qb think too much,,,,to me this is where david lee fails......a guy that does not just work on footwork but also progression reads and game day tendicies

Of course they need to have the physical tools. That's how you pick your prospects.

I think the coaching situation ought to be like a very strong mentorship where the coach and prospect spend an awful lot of time together completely immersed in training for months at a time back to back where that coach can really mold the prospect. And that coach would have the best idea of whether that prospect is going to make it to NFL franchise QB level or not.

And I would want to have one coach that fit that mold for each QB prospect I was trying to develop.

I think a large percentage of the QB's drafted in any draft ultimately have the tools they need to become franchise or even elite quarterbacks. I think the thing that separates them the most is their ability to learn quickly. If the QB learns quickly, then a team may stick with them long enough for them to break out. If they don't learn fast enough, they get kicked to the curb even though they could very well turn into an excellent QB.

dallas has the bluprint

You mean an accurate qb that can read defenses ?

this is getting old

stop hijacking threads

Keep spouting excuses and I'll keep correcting you. Try the ignore function if you're gonna stay so emotional about a passer who can't pass.

You gonna get a Taylor tattoo on your chest or backside on Valentine's Day ?

Edited by Ryan L Billz

You draft the right QB for the right system. These days you don't "develop" a QB. You either drafted him or, you didn't.

Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Dak Prescott, Ben Roethlisberger, Cam Newton, Joe Flacco, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Derek Carr, Drew Brees, are some names who were never "developed" to be the starting QB. They either took it over at training camp or were thrown into the fire because of an injury.

Not really rocket science. We're still waiting to draft the right QB, you don't "develop" one

Grow up. WTF is wrong with you? You act like a spoiled little kid who has no friends. Get a life man. Seriously.

Me and John are talking. Don't need another Tyrod fanboy getting emo also.

Friends are overrated. It's an internet message board. Get over yourself.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

You mean an accurate qb that can read defenses ?Keep spouting excuses and I'll keep correcting you. Try the ignore function if you're gonna stay so emotional about a passer who can't pass.

You gonna get a Taylor tattoo on your chest or backside on Valentine's Day ?

ryan

in all seriouness you have made your point and there are enough tt threads without turning EVERY thread into a tt debate

give it a rest?