Trump Planning On Turning Internet Into Toll Road

Dr.Sack

Comcast gives me 1024GB a month or 1TB of data. I'm not sure what happens when I exceed this I assume I'll be throttled. Didn't realize they had a cap. Looks like I'll be getting some competitor quotes.

God, I wish that throttle were lower.

Comcast gives me 1024GB a month or 1TB of data. I'm not sure what happens when I exceed this I assume I'll be throttled. Didn't realize they had a cap. Looks like I'll be getting some competitor quotes.

Based on 30 days in a month and 8 hours a day you would have to be using an average 9.5 Mb/sec to hit the 1024GB.

1024 GB is bytes

.404543 Mb/sec is bits

There are 8 bits to a byte

Converting 1024 gigabytes to bits:

1024*8=8192 Gb

Simplistic way to answer work backwards:

1024 GBs per month / 2,592,000 seconds per month = 0.000395061728395 GBs per second * 1024 = 0.404543209876543 MBs per second * 1024 = 414.2522469135802 KBs per second.

That's a lot of BitTorrent.

1024 GBs per month / 2,592,000 seconds per month = 0.000395061728395 GBs per second * 1024 = 0.404543209876543 MBs per second * 1024 = 414.2522469135802 KBs per second.

In addition to being an idiot, you're a thief

Nah. Speak for yourself. It's just you that can't add to this discussion, or most discussions.

Now run along and get to work on that pun. Or is it a hashtag?

Answer my question: is there a bandwidth throttle for GG?

Or, since you're so inured with tiers, is there a throttle for them?

Hey, I just popped in from Off The Wall (you know, the "stupid people's part" of TBD) because I heard you need a pun?

I can't say that I know much about what providers charge for Internet service or how policy changes will affect my life in the future. I don't have a strong opinion about it one way or another, so I guess because of my ignorance you can say my opinion is "net neutral" until I find out more.

#alwayshappytohelp

#lookforwardtoyourassistanceonthismatter

no. No its not. And if you're still torrenting you're stuck in 2010 fool.

If you don't know how to find the pirate version of Netflix you're just as much of a twatburger w/onion as we all thought.

its not the download that you worry about. Its the upload. Time warner has low ass caps on their ****.

My foxfi app on my Verizon can download 20-22 and up 8-12 depending on time of day and location and I'm not in a major city. Time warner uploads for the 20g are 1.5up. To you, a simpleton, you don't worry about that. To others, and those who still share torrents, this is a big deal because its a lot harder to share

All I know is, I'm tired of Comcast having a monopoly in my area. I've been having issues for years with them, this last set of issues going back about 6 months. I pay for a 200Mbit connection, often times have 0-20Mbit results, because instead of wiring my building correctly, they keep splitting people off, and calling it a day. Their contractors/workers get paid in jobs 'completed', not results. So I continue to get absolutely screwed over. I'm close to cancelling and just dealing with not having internet at all.

All I know is, I'm tired of Comcast having a monopoly in my area. I've been having issues for years with them, this last set of issues going back about 6 months. I pay for a 200Mbit connection, often times have 0-20Mbit results, because instead of wiring my building correctly, they keep splitting people off, and calling it a day. Their contractors/workers get paid in jobs 'completed', not results. So I continue to get absolutely screwed over. I'm close to cancelling and just dealing with not having internet at all.

During the divestiture in '82 a line of demarcation between the customer and the phone company was established. This is the point where the telecom company hands off to the customer, usually a small box or another type of connection right outside the house/building. The phone company is responsible for everything outward, and the customer is responsible for everything inward. If you live in an apartment building, the responsibility falls to your landlord to fix internal wiring issues. You're probably experiencing lag due to having to share X amount of bandwidth with other tenants. If this is what's happening, it's up to your landlord to fix the problem.

Good luck with that.

During the divestiture in '82 a line of demarcation between the customer and the phone company was established. This is the point where the telecom company hands off to the customer, usually a small box or another type of connection right outside the house/building. The phone company is responsible for everything outward, and the customer is responsible for everything inward. If you live in an apartment building, the responsibility falls to your landlord to fix internal wiring issues. You're probably experiencing lag due to having to share X amount of bandwidth with other tenants. If this is what's happening, it's up to your landlord to fix the problem.

Good luck with that.

I have no proof to disagree with what you say of the law, but I know for a fact Comcast is the one who does the cable wiring of the building, not the landlord.

(that being said, I am in the process of trying to get the building managers and comcast to communicate with each other on the issue, instead of leaving it up to individual tenants)

Edited by Dorkington

I have no proof to disagree with what you say of the law, but I know for a fact Comcast is the one who does the cable wiring of the building, not the landlord.

(that being said, I am in the process of trying to get the building managers and comcast to communicate with each other on the issue, instead of leaving it up to individual tenants)

Now that I think about it, I completely missed the fact that you specifically said that Comcast was your ISP. The rules are probably different for them, because they're probably there as a cable television provider and not as a telecom company. My apologies.

But I have to ask - who is your local telephone company? Do they not provide internet service?

Now that I think about it, I completely missed the fact that you specifically said that Comcast was your ISP. The rules are probably different for them, because they're probably there as a cable television provider and not as a telecom company. My apologies.

But I have to ask - who is your local telephone company? Do they not provide internet service?

Another misunderstood fact about broadband buildouts. Many times the building owners & condo/residential associations control the wiring or access in a development. Usually they sign an exclusive agreement with one provider that essentially locks people into one provider. Telecom Act of '96 did away with much of that exclusivity, but the owners still get around that.

Another misunderstood fact about broadband buildouts. Many times the building owners & condo/residential associations control the wiring or access in a development. Usually they sign an exclusive agreement with one provider that essentially locks people into one provider. Telecom Act of '96 did away with much of that exclusivity, but the owners still get around that.

I was unaware of that, but it doesn't surprise me. My apartment complex tried doing that back then, but they were never able to keep Southwestern Bell from offering service. The rep for the independent telco stopped by my place to get me to switch to their service, and I asked him if I could get the 50% employee discount that SWBT was giving me. He politely thanked me for my time and went away.

How about this:

1024 GB is not the precise number. It is actually 2^40 bytes = 1,099,511,627,776 bytes.

There are 8 bits to a byte so 1,099,511,627,776 * 8 = 8,796,093,022,208 bits

Now divide the bits by time 8,796,093,022,208 / 2,592,000 = 3,393,554 bits/sec

The precise numbers are:

kilobyte = 2^10 = 1024

megabyte = 2^20 = 1,048,576

gigabyte = 2^30 = 1,073,741,824

terabyte = 2^40 = 1,099,511,627,776

Transmission speeds are always specified in bits. Unlike files sizes where 1kB actually equals 1024 bytes, 1kb/sec is equal to exactly 1000 bits/sec.

By convention:

B = bytes

b = bits

How about this:

1024 GB is not the precise number. It is actually 2^40 bytes = 1,099,511,627,776 bytes.

There are 8 bits to a byte so 1,099,511,627,776 * 8 = 8,796,093,022,208 bits

Now divide the bits by time 8,796,093,022,208 / 2,592,000 = 3,393,554 bits/sec

The precise numbers are:

kilobyte = 2^10 = 1024

megabyte = 2^20 = 1,048,576

gigabyte = 2^30 = 1,073,741,824

terabyte = 2^40 = 1,099,511,627,776

Transmission speeds are always specified in bits. Unlike files sizes where 1kB actually equals 1024 bytes, 1kb/sec is equal to exactly 1000 bits/sec.

By convention:

B = bytes

b = bits

I'm going back to Off the Wall now... :beer: